Lori2

Fructooligosaccharides (Fos)

Rate this topic

Does this cause a problem for anyone? I have a sensitivity to sugars (cane and beet), honey, agave, xylitol, raisens and dates. I wonder if this is something esle I need to be looking for.

Wikipedia states: FOS is extracted from fruits and vegetables such as bananas, onions, chicory root, garlic, asparagus, barley, wheat, j

I don't remember seeing this in the ingredient list. What sort of food is it in?

I've noticed it mainly in supplements. I was about to take a new probiotic this morning when I noticed "to insure the multiple strains of bacteria thrive, I've added FOS for their growth and survival."

As I understand it (not necessarily correct) the FOS acts as a prebiotic.

If you have fructose malabsorption you will react to FOS, both in food sources and probiotics. You would also be reacting to foods like asparagus and onions that are rich in FOS.

Thank you, Skylark. Onions are one of the things that I seem to be sensitive to. I know I have other problems beside gluten and sugar. Guess its time to put some more study into fructose malabsorption.

Fructose Intolerance

Fructose is naturally present in fruits, some vegetables and honey. It is also used as a sweetener in some soft drinks and fruit drinks. When the body doesn’t absorb fructose properly, it is called fructose malabsorption or fructose intolerance. This is a common condition and different from hereditary fructose intolerance, which is a rare, genetic and sometimes fatal disorder affecting the liver.

Causes of Fructose Intolerance

Fructose malabsorption occurs when the body is not able to break down fructose during the digestive process. When undigested fructose reaches the intestines, it reacts with naturally occurring bacteria and generates carbon dioxide and hydrogen gases, which can cause bloating, abdominal pain, heartburn, diarrhea and gas.

To confirm fructose intolerance, your doctor can order a breath test that checks for hydrogen. When hydrogen is detected within one hour after eating a food containing fructose, the person is regarded as being fructose intolerant.

(From the American Gastroenterological Association)

Just a thought!

Fructose malabsorption occurs when the body is not able to break down fructose during the digestive process. When undigested fructose reaches the intestines, it reacts with naturally occurring bacteria and generates carbon dioxide and hydrogen gases, which can cause bloating, abdominal pain, heartburn, diarrhea and gas.

(From the American Gastroenterological Association)

Just a thought!

Is there any chance that digestive enzymes might help?

Digestive enzymes helped me immensely when I was first DXed because my GI tract was a mess for several years.

I thought I had fructose malabsorption myself but in reality, I was just malabsorbing nearly everything. :rolleyes:

In time, I was able to tolerate almost all foods once again. I am going slow with the dairy.

I am not sure they will help with fructose malabsorption-- as that is a different mechanism than a lack of digestive enzymes.

Have you been tested for this condition specifically?

Here, read this. It explains why enzymes won't help fructose malabsorption, though they may help you in general the way they helped IrishHeart.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/475752-fructose-intolerance-and-enzymes/

This is the Fructosin they are talking about. It supposedly converts fructose to glucose and they've got it enterically coated so it goes past your stomach.

http://www.sciotec.at/en/products/functional-food/fructosin/