This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Feel Like Dr. House Detoxing From Vicodin :(

Meggielynn13

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish Heart,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Also is there any form of pasta that I could eat that would taste like regular pasta? I am Italian and not having pasta is going to be really hard for me.

Thanks,

Jennifer C

Honey, you CAN have pasta it just cannot be made from wheat flour.

The names of the pasta I recommend are on that list I just posted :) and we said it several times in this thread:

Tinkyada rice pasta

BiAglut corn pasta

Sam's Hill corn pasta

Also, check the forum using the SEARCH FORUM VIA GOOGLE in the upper right corner under your profile login and type in pasta

and there will be dozens of threads on pasta.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Everyone!

I was also wondering if there was a website that would tell me if there was a gluten free bakery/restaurant in my area.....I live in Virginia Beach.

Thanks,

Jennifer C

No one will see your question about places in your particular area

on this thread.

You need to start a thread under the section

"Restaurants" and ask there.

Also, use your google search engine and type in Gluten Free bakeries in VA Beach.

A completely gluten-free restaurant is not going to be found. I think the one we live near is the ONLY one. She started the place from scratch and NO WHEAT products have ever been on the premises.

Many restaurants have gluten-free menus, of course. Check the restaurant section.

dreacakes Rookie

LOL! Detoxing from Vicodin is a PERFECT way to describe gluten withdrawal!

I'd HIGHLY suggest that you consider not eating any grains, eggs, soy, or dairy for awhile, if ever again. I made the mistake of diving into the prepared gluten-free food isle when I first went gluten free. Then a year later I *still* didn't feel any better and wondered why! They're doing new research that's finding that the proteins in ALL grains irritate the digestive tracts of Celiac sufferers. Also, foods like beans, nuts, and dairy (cow diary protein is nearly identical to gluten protein, I'd stay away from it!) also irritate the gut.

When I finally changed my diet to exclude all these things (it's still possible to enjoy food, I swear!) is when I finally started to recover, and now I feel AMAZING.

So best of luck to you on this new journey, and hang in there! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I'd HIGHLY suggest that you consider not eating any grains, eggs, soy, or dairy for awhile, if ever again. Also, foods like beans, nuts, and dairy (cow diary protein is nearly identical to gluten protein, I'd stay away from it!) also irritate the gut.

Your suggestion about avoiding too many processed gluten-free foods for awhile is valid, and we have all told her that, but not everyone needs to avoid all these OTHER food groups at once in order to heal their guts.

Meggielynn has been starving for a while now and she needs to find some foods to fill up on first before taking OUT even more nutritious foods like high protein alternative grains, eggs, beans and nuts. If she has a problem digesting them, that is a different story.

Some people do well on a paleo diet, for sure. (I have a celiac friend who is doing this and feels great)

Where did you read that beans, nuts and dairy proteins are nearly identical to gluten proteins? I'd be interested in seeing that research myself. Thanks.

Meggielynn13 Rookie

I've been eating mostly chicken, veggies, fruit , rice and too many chocolate rice cakes O_O. I've been feeling a lot better but I'm still getting super hungry in the middle of the day. Tonight I'm actually making a bunch of food for the rest of the week so I have food with me at all times. I'm making stuffed chicken with spinach and tomatoes, roasted chickpeas as a snack and some really good dairy free flour less cookies! I however made my first two cc issues. I made a taco dip last night and didnt read the back of the chili can, and then I had half a gin and tonic. My body is definitely not ready for alcohol yet. I just can't wait to go back to the dr and tell them how great I'm feeling. Almost 2 weeks in, I've lost almost 10 pounds and I have been living life outside of the confines of my bathroom. And NO MORE meltdowns! Gluten really is arch nemesis as my boyfriend calls it haha! Thanks everyone for the advice, especially IH. You are the BEST!

IrishHeart Veteran

. Almost 2 weeks in, I've lost almost 10 pounds and I have been living life outside of the confines of my bathroom. And NO MORE meltdowns! Gluten really is arch nemesis as my boyfriend calls it haha! Thanks everyone for the advice, especially IH. You are the BEST!

:) Now, that's what we wanted to hear! For a girl who told me she was running to the bathroom all day long, this news is HUGE!! I am so happy for you, honey!

Your BF is right! I call gluten my kryptonite. ;)

Keep up the good work. Make sure you write all this down for Doctor G! How BAD it was--list of symptoms--and what is happening now. He is going to want to hear all this. :)

Couldn't be happier for you, kiddo! Easy on the cheese/dairy at first. Did you go to either of the two bakeries yet?

Meggielynn13 Rookie

No I haven't. I'm going to go to Laurie's probably next week. I'm not going to Sherri Lynn's until we go when you get back from vacation. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

No I haven't. I'm going to go to Laurie's probably next week. I'm not going to Sherri Lynn's until we go when you get back from vacation. :)

sweetie, you don't have to wait for me! Go, enjoy if you want.

But I will meet you there for sure! I can't wait. By then, you will have seen Dr. G.

Archived