This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cosmetics-shampoos, Etc

Lisa

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
Please note that although these products do not contain any gluten, they are not manufactured in a gluten-free facility.

Can the company 'guarantee' these products you listed are NOT cross contaminated with gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turtle Enthusiast

That was my concern....cross contamination!

I'm familiar w/ Lame Advertisement. It's a good line. BUT I don't buy it b/c of the cross contamination concern.

Lisa L Newbie
Can the company 'guarantee' these products you listed are NOT cross contaminated with gluten?

I will absolutely ask them for you. I'll let you know what they say.

NSG Newbie

Beth and I went through the personal care products yesterday and then went shopping. Finding gluten-free makeup for a 17 year old is NOT fun!!! But, I survived... and she will live without the "cool" stuff...

Beth and I went through the personal care products yesterday and then went shopping. Finding gluten-free makeup for a 17 year old is NOT fun!!! But, I survived... and she will live without the "cool" stuff...

NSG -- Share what your bought...what's in the make up bag?

I'm still on a search to find a 'safe' liquid foundation. It's the only gluten and soy I come in contact with.

When I was trying different thyroid medications (the last few months) I seem to develop what appeared to be DH. Oh God NO! It iched really bad and got red spots athat would bleed when I scratched it, all over my torso, upper legs and upper back.

I got my magnifying glass out and started reading ingredients in [everything] bar soap, body creams and etc. I have become reactive to coconut since getting these secondary allergies. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a bar soap that doesn't have some form of coconut? I found two bar and two that were liquid. I feel the bar soaps don't clean my body as well. But I also switched to things with coco butter or shea butter or olive butter cream. It's much better. But I change back to the other thyroid medication along with the switch and the different soap the DH rash went away.

The liquid shower soap I found was by the Sommerset Toiletry Company.

They are safe and they clean well - or what I could understand from the label no gluten, soy, coconut.

1.) Coco Butter Moisturising Shower Creme

2.) Shea Butter Moisturising Shower Creme

NSG Newbie

We ended up with Neutrogena products - not very "cool" - but gluten-free. She checked her nail polish and thinks that NYC is okay. We'll see. All the CoverGirl is in the trash!

terps19 Contributor

Ij ust checked out CHapstick. All brand name Chapstick is gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abbiekir Newbie
Let me just start by saying the sense of community in this forum is great. I've learned a lot (and I already considered myself a know-it-all) and I've felt comforted by the fact that others go through what I go through.

I have a really hard time going out to eat, or for the topic of this discusssion, going to salons and asking for specifics. Its not so much that I am embarassed to ask for a wheat/gluten free shampoo, but more that I hate making things difficult for people. I think I have learned my lesson - as far as salons go anyway. I went to an Aveda salon this past week, got a cute cut, but all the products have wheat in them!!!! I have reacted to my home shampoos, but justified that thinking that it had gotten in my mouth some how, so I thought I would be safe (someone else wahes and styles my hair - how would it get in my mouth?). Now I am not so sure......I have had headaches for days now and that was my symptom after using a wheat-containing shampoo. I know, I should have brought my own shampoo........It just I hate the attention, I hate having to explain stuff, I hate causing problems for others. Guess I will have to get used to it......

I'm just glad that, at least to some extent, this isn't all in my head and others have experienced it. Thanks for sharing and the sense of community.

Oh I agree and relate so much to what you have said. Maybe I am just not assertive enough or I hate making a spectacle of myself when I go somewhere to eat. I actually have been prolonging my visit to the salon because I know I am going to bring my gluten free shampoo and then I will get the "look" but in the end I know it doesn't matter its just that I am still getting use to having to speak up for my needs. I am sure at some point I will become de-sensitized to the reactions. So thank you for adding the part in about the stress of having to explain everything.

As for me I have to use gluten free shampoo and soap ect ... I get it from gluten free savonneirie www.gfsoap.com. I had read on some threads with regards to makeup that bare escentuals was gluten free and all natural because my Mac makeup was giving my face a rash. I have bought the bare escentuals cover up powder and like it so far and had no reaction the down side is its a little pricey.

We ended up with Neutrogena products - not very "cool" - but gluten-free. She checked her nail polish and thinks that NYC is okay. We'll see. All the CoverGirl is in the trash!

Who said Neutrogena doesn't make cool stuff? Oh I get it now -- you have a teen whispering in your ear... [giggle] I'll post the stuff from SMASH BOX...

I have searched beauty products (I'm a Diva) and expensive isn't best! Neutrogena is the best I have found todate that does what it claims. They make a anti wrinkle cream that REALLY works and is safe for us. HEALTHY SKIN ANTI-WRINKLE CREMAM SPF 15. You will see a difference after a week. I wish they made a liquid foundation. They make an anti wrinkle hand cream too. All sorts of very cool stuff for my make-up bag. [giggle]

NYC is cheap and I really like those 99 cent eye liners, they work better then the Chanel at $50 each.

Girl Ninja Newbie

Lisa B - Here's what the Delphi list says for ChapStick. They also list safe choices from Blistex.

ChapStick (Wyeth Consumer Healthcare Products) (888-797-5638) (ve= 01/18/05)

ChapStick All Natural

ChapStick Cold Sore Therapy

ChapStick Flava Craze SPF 15 Tropical Twist

ChapStick Lip Balm Cherry

ChapStick Lip Balm Medicated Stick

ChapStick Lip Balm Medicated Squeeze Tube

ChapStick Lip Balm Mint

ChapStick Lip Balm Regular

ChapStick Lip Balm Strawberry

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, Stick

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, Tube

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer Vanilla Mint SPF-15

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer Vanilla Raspberry SPF-15

ChapStick LipSations Lip Moisturizer, Glitter

ChapStick LipSations Lip Moisturizer Gloss

ChapStick Overnight Lip Treatment (with Hydroxy Acids)

ChapStick Sun Zone Flava CrazeSPF 15 Wild Crazeberry

ChapStick Sun Zone Ultra 30 Berry

ChapStick Ultra SPF 30 Lemon-lime

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze - (Blue Crazeberry)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze -(Fruit Punch)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze -(Grape)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze SPF15 (Watermelon Splash)

lindalee Enthusiast
Lisa B - Here's what the Delphi list says for ChapStick. They also list safe choices from Blistex.

ChapStick (Wyeth Consumer Healthcare Products) (888-797-5638) (ve= 01/18/05)

ChapStick All Natural

ChapStick Cold Sore Therapy

ChapStick Flava Craze SPF 15 Tropical Twist

ChapStick Lip Balm Cherry

ChapStick Lip Balm Medicated Stick

ChapStick Lip Balm Medicated Squeeze Tube

ChapStick Lip Balm Mint

ChapStick Lip Balm Regular

ChapStick Lip Balm Strawberry

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, Stick

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, Tube

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer Vanilla Mint SPF-15

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer Vanilla Raspberry SPF-15

ChapStick LipSations Lip Moisturizer, Glitter

ChapStick LipSations Lip Moisturizer Gloss

ChapStick Overnight Lip Treatment (with Hydroxy Acids)

ChapStick Sun Zone Flava CrazeSPF 15 Wild Crazeberry

ChapStick Sun Zone Ultra 30 Berry

ChapStick Ultra SPF 30 Lemon-lime

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze - (Blue Crazeberry)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze -(Fruit Punch)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze -(Grape)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze SPF15 (Watermelon Splash)

The one I have been using is magical melon. Narnia(Peter) SPF15 Lip Balm---see that one? LindaLee

lindalee Enthusiast
NSG -- Share what your bought...what's in the make up bag?

I'm still on a search to find a 'safe' liquid foundation. It's the only gluten and soy I come in contact with.

When I was trying different thyroid medications (the last few months) I seem to develop what appeared to be DH. Oh God NO! It iched really bad and got red spots athat would bleed when I scratched it, all over my torso, upper legs and upper back.

I got my magnifying glass out and started reading ingredients in [everything] bar soap, body creams and etc. I have become reactive to coconut since getting these secondary allergies. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a bar soap that doesn't have some form of coconut? I found two bar and two that were liquid. I feel the bar soaps don't clean my body as well. But I also switched to things with coco butter or shea butter or olive butter cream. It's much better. But I change back to the other thyroid medication along with the switch and the different soap the DH rash went away.

The liquid shower soap I found was by the Sommerset Toiletry Company.

They are safe and they clean well - or what I could understand from the label no gluten, soy, coconut.

1.) Coco Butter Moisturising Shower Creme

2.) Shea Butter Moisturising Shower Creme

I'm looking for a foundation also. Have you tried Neutrogena's concealers? I have dark circles and it hides wrinkles too. I use a dry brush in the shower with organic soap can't remember the name and I threw away the package but it works great. I use this soft brush in the shower and when you rub in the direction of your heart it is suppose to help it and relaxes me and improves circulation. It is my favorite to give gift.The brush makes the soap foam good. I use no sodium laurete sulfates as I am definily allergic to them . Shampoos with them in it causes horrible welps, itching and bumps. This organic one I'm using now is crummy and makes my hair flat. That is on the to do list also. LindaLee

I'm looking for a foundation also. Have you tried Neutrogena's concealers? I have dark circles and it hides wrinkles too. I use a dry brush in the shower with organic soap can't remember the name and I threw away the package but it works great. I use this soft brush in the shower and when you rub in the direction of your heart it is suppose to help it and relaxes me and improves circulation. It is my favorite to give gift.The brush makes the soap foam good. I use no sodium laurete sulfates as I am definily allergic to them . Shampoos with them in it causes horrible welps, itching and bumps. This organic one I'm using now is crummy and makes my hair flat. That is on the to do list also. LindaLee

I had the stomach rash bad for 4 months and used oil of oregano on it and it finally went away. It is a natural antibiotic.

Girl Ninja Newbie

LindaLee - I would imagine that your melon one is the same as the kids one at the bottom of the list, just with the movie promo tie-in.

Here's the Delphi CoverGirl list:

Cover Girl (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

All foundations, Fresh Complexion pressed powder, Extremely Gentle pressed powder, Continuous Color moisture-enriched blush, all concealers, all eye shadows, all mascaras, Thick-n-Thin eye liner, Soft Radiance eye liner, Extremely Gentle soft liner, Continuous Color lipsticks and lip liners, Marathon lipsticks, all Nail Slicks EXCEPT nail treatments

Sounds like CoverGirl liquids should be ok.

And as far as I can tell, the concern with Neutrogena's gluten-free status is that some of the products do contain oatmeal, but are still listed as gluten-free. If you react to oats, watch for that.

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks, I will try that . I don't know what I react to yet. I assume oats also with celiac disease. and I was reallly getting excited about the Neutogena. LindaLee

Open Original Shared Link

Looks like PHILOSOPHY is cross contaminated. REVLON is too.

SmashBox is safe. Or so the email says. I was very suprised. It's at the very bottom of the list so far on my blogg, I'll post more as I go.

I noticed many of us have secondary ingredient issues with beauty products as well. Some of the companies might not have gluten, but they can have soy, nuts, oats, or corn. So the more information we can get the better we are armed with knowlege.

jerseyangel Proficient

Miss SS--Thank you so much for contacting all of these companies! I am happy to know about Smashbox! I had some of their lip glosses, and their eyeshadow and liner. I got rid of them months ago to be safe. Now, I wish I hadn't. At least I will feel free to order if I see something I want to try. I use Bare Escentuals foundations and face colors, but am not crazy about their eye and lip products--but I love Smashbox. Thanks again! :)

We need to touch base this weekend coming up--the last episode for a while :angry: Have a good day! :D

lindalee Enthusiast
Miss SS--Thank you so much for contacting all of these companies! I am happy to know about Smashbox! I had some of their lip glosses, and their eyeshadow and liner. I got rid of them months ago to be safe. Now, I wish I hadn't. At least I will feel free to order if I see something I want to try. I use Bare Escentuals foundations and face colors, but am not crazy about their eye and lip products--but I love Smashbox. Thanks again! :)

We need to touch base this weekend coming up--the last episode for a while :angry: Have a good day! :D

Thanks for the tips. Where have I been? I haven't ever heard of smashbox. Where do you get that? LindaLee

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks for the tips. Where have I been? I haven't ever heard of smashbox. Where do you get that? LindaLee

LindaLee--Here is a link to Smashbox--

I bought what I had at QVC--they have a lot of the products there. The Smashbox Studio in LA is where a lot of magazine covers are shot.

NSG Newbie

:D It'd only been 3 days - but the improvement in Beth skin and my scalp are 200%. Thanks for letting us know that the stuff we were using was poisoning us! Who would have thought that face wash and shampoo could have had such negative effects.

We are still looking for "cool" eye shadow. I will let her know about "SmashBox". THanks again!

B)

penguin Community Regular
:D It'd only been 3 days - but the improvement in Beth skin and my scalp are 200%. Thanks for letting us know that the stuff we were using was poisoning us! Who would have thought that face wash and shampoo could have had such negative effects.

We are still looking for "cool" eye shadow. I will let her know about "SmashBox". THanks again!

B)

I use the almay intense i-color trio for brown eyes, although I think there are two versions, and one is darker than the other. I use the darker one and love it. I'm still young enough to care about cool makeup, so when I can I buy MAC (I'm also young enough to have a tiny paycheck :rolleyes: )

Here's a recent post on MAC, all eyeshadows are gluten-free, except luxe texture

Since I could open up my own MAC store, I figured I would share this information with you too.

These are a lot of products I use...anything that isnt listed is not confirmed, you do have to call 1-800-588-0070.

These are confirmed gluten-free 5/16/2006 by phone.

Bronzing Powder (Except any color containing 'Refined' in the color name)

Cheek Powder Blush

Iridescent Loose Powder

Studio Finish Powder

Concealer Select Moisture Cover

All eyeshadows (Except the ones with the Luxe Texture)

Eye Pigment

Liquid Eye Liner

Regular Eye Pencil

Powerpoint Eye Pencil

Eye Kohl Pencil

Mascara X

ProLash Mascara

Lipglass

Lip Pencil

CremeStick Liner

All Lipstick (Except for any Texture Amplified Creme and Vitamin E stick)

All Nail Lacquer

Makeup Wipes

Anyone use KIEHL'S products? Last year some of these products, and other goodies too, were in a "Hollywood Goodie Bag" I was given. What a treat! I've uses them and none have cause me a reaction and I'm hyper sensitive to everything.

But I feel I must use a bit of caution buying beauty supplies when they also manufacture other items with gluten, and some of the Big 8 Food Allergens. This company use wheat germ in some of their items and I'm so affraid of cross contamination (CC) issues. I do plan an eMail asking several questions... I'll post it on my blog where ther others are.

I use this Open Original Shared Link it looks free of Gluten. But has sweet almond and avocado, I can't eat either without becoming reactive. I like this product a lot.

But at this stage - if I can't have nuts, dairy, gluten, soy, avocado... what's left?

Perhaps I need to pick the worst to eliminate and go in lesser order?

The other one I like is Open Original Shared Link As I look it up here. This one has soy, corn and almonds. Too bad because it has some other good ingredients.

Oh and before I forget my understanding is M.A.C. is [not] gluten free. It's a no no. Or just CC?

Sorry ladies -- Patti -- My PM box is jammed and can't figure out how to use it. eMail me anytime. I think we should start a Sopranos thread here David Case wrote in bowel problems again, this time for Ro in Italy.

Okay back on topic. The Bare Escentuals face power doesn't give you extra coverage like a fondation does, or does it? I'm going to look at the SMASHBOX and see what they have.

Next I'm writing to hair care companies...

NSG -- Thats great news!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Okay back on topic. The Bare Escentuals face power doesn't give you extra coverage like a fondation does, or does it? I'm going to look at the SMASHBOX and see what they have.

Next I'm writing to hair care companies...

NSG -- Thats great news!

BE face powder gives you lots and lots of coverage. I am a huge fan :)

jerseyangel Proficient
BE face powder gives you lots and lots of coverage. I am a huge fan :)

I agree! And I like the finish--it looks like skin, not foundation. I also use Bisque for any spots that need extra coverage, and Mineral Veil as a last step. I just don't care for their eye shadows--the loose minerals are difficult for me to use that way. The mascara is also not the best--I use it because they assured me it was gluten-free.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I agree! And I like the finish--it looks like skin, not foundation. I also use Bisque for any spots that need extra coverage, and Mineral Veil as a last step. I just don't care for their eye shadows--the loose minerals are difficult for me to use that way. The mascara is also not the best--I use it because they assured me it was gluten-free.

I know that foundation is the best! I use Ecco Bella mascara, which is great. I haven't verified with the company that it's gluten-free, but it only has a few straightforward ingredients so I think it's okay.

jerseyangel Proficient
I know that foundation is the best! I use Ecco Bella mascara, which is great. I haven't verified with the company that it's gluten-free, but it only has a few straightforward ingredients so I think it's okay.

Hi Mango--Thanks for the link. I checked out the question page--Open Original Shared Link and they didn't address the makeup, so I just called them. All of their makeup products are gluten-free! I specifically asked about the mascara for you (and me!) and she said gluten-free. She said that most of the hair and skin stuff has gluten, but the makeup is fine. I know they have a lot of their products at Whole Foods--I will check them out the next time I'm there. Have got to find a better mascara :D

Archived