This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cosmetics-shampoos, Etc

Lisa

Mango04 Enthusiast
Hi Mango--Thanks for the link. I checked out the question page--Open Original Shared Link and they didn't address the makeup, so I just called them. All of their makeup products are gluten-free! I specifically asked about the mascara for you (and me!) and she said gluten-free. She said that most of the hair and skin stuff has gluten, but the makeup is fine. I know they have a lot of their products at Whole Foods--I will check them out the next time I'm there. Have got to find a better mascara :D

Cool! Thanks! I think I'll try more of thier makeup. I really like the masacara becasue it doesn't smudge or irritate my eyes at all...although I do find it doesn't quite wash off as easily as they say it does. But hey, it's gluten-free, so I won't complain!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa L Newbie
Can the company 'guarantee' these products you listed are NOT cross contaminated with gluten?

Ms SS ~ I heard back from Lame Advertisement and here is their response. Hope this helps!

"Please know that all manufacturing equipment is thoroughly cleaned in-between uses; however the facility that the products are made in is not a gluten free facility. This being the case, we cannot guarantee that there is no possibility of cross contamination. The chances are very slim, and as a matter of fact we do not have any incidences of individuals having sensitivity as a result of a contaminated product."

:)

NSG Newbie

Okay - thanks for all the tips - we will check out Almay, EccoBella, and SmashBox.

Where can you find Bare Essentials? I have looked locally and no one carries the brand.

Also - what is MAC? I have been using CoverGirl for over 25 years and am a newbie to these other brands. HELP!!!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
So - for 17 years I have been poisoning my daughter - and myself!

This is nuts!! We just went through everything in the house - a big job for with a teenager.

Does anyone have any ideas for "cool" nail-polish, eye shadow, and scented hand lotion?

Some nice hand lotion from co-op/health food stores is Shi Kai. I like the amber/sandalwood. their lotions are gluten-free - THEIR SHOWER GELS ARE NOT (oatmeal).

jerseyangel Proficient
Okay - thanks for all the tips - we will check out Almay, EccoBella, and SmashBox.

Where can you find Bare Essentials? I have looked locally and no one carries the brand.

Also - what is MAC? I have been using CoverGirl for over 25 years and am a newbie to these other brands. HELP!!!

I get my Bare Essentuals at QVC.

Open Original Shared Link

They are also available through Sephora.

Some nice hand lotion from co-op/health food stores is Shi Kai. I like the amber/sandalwood. their lotions are gluten-free - THEIR SHOWER GELS ARE NOT (oatmeal).

I love the Shikai Shampoo and Conditioner--their hair care is gluten-free, also!

penguin Community Regular

I love love love MAC!!! Depending on where you are, there may be either a mac store (rare) or a MAC counter in a dept store like dillards, foley's, etc. Otherwise you can order online. Their products are fabulous and they do a lot of good for the community. It's also VERY cool. Their VIVA GLAM line sale price goes 100% to local AIDS research (local to where the product is sold). It's awesome, a lot of celebrities use MAC.

Open Original Shared Link

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

MAC and Almay are NOT GLUTEN FREE. I'll check on cover girl product.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
MAC and Almay are NOT GLUTEN FREE. I'll check on cover girl product.

I posted a list of MAC products that are gluten-free earlier in this thread that someone called and got. They may not be free of all of the things you need to avoid, but many of their products are gluten-free.

lindalee Enthusiast
Who said Neutrogena doesn't make cool stuff? Oh I get it now -- you have a teen whispering in your ear... [giggle] I'll post the stuff from SMASH BOX...

I have searched beauty products (I'm a Diva) and expensive isn't best! Neutrogena is the best I have found todate that does what it claims. They make a anti wrinkle cream that REALLY works and is safe for us. HEALTHY SKIN ANTI-WRINKLE CREMAM SPF 15. You will see a difference after a week. I wish they made a liquid foundation. They make an anti wrinkle hand cream too. All sorts of very cool stuff for my make-up bag. [giggle]

NYC is cheap and I really like those 99 cent eye liners, they work better then the Chanel at $50 each.

I' m getting some of the cream and liners. What else do you use? LindaLee

lindalee Enthusiast
I got an email back from a cosmetic company called SMASH BOX a few items are free of gluten. I will post them soon...

NSG -- I feel your frustration & I feel the exact same way...

Would you mind sending me that smas box list? Thanks, LLee

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

• 1 year later...
RARMES Newbie

:unsure:

That's what I thought when I came to this topic! I am slowly figuring it out, and don't worry, you will too. :D

Lisa

what shampoos are really gluten free?the thought that even shampoo has wheat scares me to death.ive had celiac for 4 months and boy i have learned so much and still got alot to learn .

ravenwoodglass Mentor
:unsure:

what shampoos are really gluten free?the thought that even shampoo has wheat scares me to death.ive had celiac for 4 months and boy i have learned so much and still got alot to learn .

There are actually quite a few, these are some of the ones mentioned most often that will clearly label gluten ingredients,

Dove

Suave

Giovanni

Kirks Naturals Castile- also soy free and the one I use

Dandelion Contributor

This is such a useful post. Thanks for starting it!

I only use NARS makeup and skin care products. All are gluten free. They are pricey but so worth it. The tiniest bit goes a long way. Please watch out for Smashbox. Not all of their stuff is gluten free. I stopped using it because of that. I also like Wet and Wild lipgloss. I think I read somewhere on this site that all of their products except one mascara were gluten free.

As for lotion, I love and can't live without Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion in Aloe. My hands crack and get really itchy in the cold weather or if I wash them a lot. This is the only thing that heals them and makes the itchies go away.

Love Wella for shampoo and conditioner. I use the Color Preserve line. Don't have any problems with it and don't see anything in the ingredients that could be gluten.

For toothpaste we use Sensodyne.

I buy a lot of this stuff online at drugstore.com or it's sister site beauty.com.

Ann1231 Enthusiast

does anyone know about Cover Girl Advance Radiance? I had the cream and when I put it on this morning I noticed my face all wrinkling up like I was 80! Then it started burning. I washed it off as fast as I could and my face is beet red and still burns. I can't find an ingredient list but regardless, there's something in it I can not tolerate!

Ann

lilypad23 Explorer

Does anyone know of any gluten free nail polishes? Also, is nail polish remover gluten free? Thanks.

JoyfulM Rookie

I'm one of the younger ones on here, and use a lot of EyesLipsFace's products. I just got this email from them:

Thank you for your interest in e.l.f. Cosmetics. Our products do not contain gluten or beeswax. Please be aware, however, that we cannot guarantee that the machinery used to process our products are completely gluten free.

Sincerely,

The e.l.f Team

There goes a lot of makeup and ALL my brushes <_<

About nail polish remover - I use the Equate Nail Strengthening remover and have never had a problem.

debmidge Rising Star

A tip from Loreal was that fragrances may contain gluten; non scented does not mean it does not have a fragrance in it - it just means that it has a "fragrance masking agent" in it. Fragrance free is your best chance of something having no gluten in it.

I use DHS Shampoo as its fragrance free and from reading the ingredents appears to be gluten free as well.

lm9 Newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy to read all your comments and lists of gluten free products. I was diagnosed with Celiac yesterday! I've spent my entire Thanksgiving day doing research. Fortunately there are plenty of stores in my area that carry what I need, although it would be alot easier and cheaper if I knew the Delphi list. I'm still very new to all of this. Could anyone help me get the list? I've registered with the Delphi Forum but am having trouble looking for the list. I appreciate anyones response.

Hopeful and coping,

Larissa ;)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I react to anything on my skin and I have never reacted to any nail polish. Not to my knowledge, anyways. I've used good stuff and cheap stuff--covered the range of polishes, never reacted to any.

loco-ladi Contributor

OH OH OH any list of almost anything!!!

ldistef@yahoo.com

Carol the Dabbler Apprentice
I was diagnosed with Celiac yesterday! I've spent my entire Thanksgiving day doing research. ... it would be alot easier and cheaper if I knew the Delphi list. .... I've registered with the Delphi Forum but am having trouble looking for the list.

Hi, Larissa. Hey, you're ahead of me -- I expect to get my blood-test results in about a week.

Here's a thread that I found shortly after I joined, that has been a tremendous help: Open Original Shared Link. Instructions of how to get the Delphi list are in post #4. There's lots of other basic info in the thread as well.

Good luck to us both!

Krysten Newbie

I recently found out my minerla makeup (Physican's Formule) wasn't gluten-free & my liquid foundation is too heavy for everyday. I was goign to order Bare Escentuals, but I checked out makeupalley.com's makeup reviews & the girls on there liked a product called Everday Minerals better. Best news is that when I went to their website (I e-mailed too to confirm) everything is gluten-free & it's way cheaper than BE. I sent away for the sample kit, so I'm hoping this stuff will work for me.

• 4 weeks later...
lm9 Newbie
Hi, Larissa. Hey, you're ahead of me -- I expect to get my blood-test results in about a week.

Here's a thread that I found shortly after I joined, that has been a tremendous help: Open Original Shared Link. Instructions of how to get the Delphi list are in post #4. There's lots of other basic info in the thread as well.

Good luck to us both!

Carol you are an angel!

Thank You- Thank You! I've been so busy trying to figure out my meals on a daily basis, it's getting easier but slowly and surely I'm getting all the colors of my face back together. ;) There are a lot of extremely helpful people. Couldn't ask for the best when you already have it. I hope you don't have to do any of this, I don't wish this upon anyone.

• 10 months later...
minniejack Contributor

As a Mary Kay rep who has just discovered her intolerance, I thought I'd pass on a list that I made up with products that contain gluten. The company sent me a generic ingredients list and I had to cross reference each ingredient with all of our products. So...I hope I caught all of them...

Disappointing that the company itself couldn't go to this trouble...

MK Gluten Free List

Embrace Sugar Scrubs (Discontinued 6/16/07)

Mk Signature Brow Liner (Disc. 6/16/07)

Extra Emollient Night Cream

Satin Lips Balm and Mask

Gentle Cleansing Cream Formula 1

MK Brow Definer Pencil

Mk Brow Definer Pencil Classic Blonde

Mk Brow Classic Definer Pencil (Disc. 6/16/07)

MK Nail Enamel (Disc. 9/6/06)

MK Flawless Mascara (12/16/05)

Advanced Moisture Renewal Cream

MK Endless Performance Mascara (Dis. 12/16/05)

TW Day Solution With SPF 15 (Disc 1/16/06)

MK Signature Concealer

Mk Signature Eye Primer

Daily Protection Moisture with SPF15 (9/16/04)

Embrace Dreams Mist, Body Wash, Sugar Scrub and Lotion (6/16/07)

MK Men Face Bar

TW 3-in-1 Cleansing Bar

The following 3 items might also cause a reaction--I know they did for me. I found these items elsewhere on the internet as having gluten.

Tw Lip Primer

TW Target Action Eye Revitalizer

Tw Targeted Action Line Reducer

Now, I now why my eczema wouldn't clear up until going on the gluten-free diet and purging my make-up drawer. :D

Archived