Angie1

What Wines Are Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Hello, I just found out I have this disease do any of you know of white wines that is gluten free and doesn't have brewers yeast in them. And it doesn't have gluten in them.

I can't speak to the yeast question, but in nearly twelve years on the diet I have never found a wine that was not gluten-free.

I agree with Peter, but watch out for some wine coolers. ;)

And welcome...you've found a great place for information.

Wines are gluten-free but I think they need some type of yeast to ferment and become wine. I don't know if there is any detectable yeast left after it becomes wine. You might want to google that & see if there is a winemakers site that would explain that.

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/35-techniques/782-yeast-free-wine-and-quality-control-wine-wizard

Here's a bit of the article.

The good news is that most wines that you can buy off the supermarket shelf don’t contain a lot of yeast cells; if they did, the wines would look cloudy and might even re-ferment in the bottle. Large commercial-scale wineries work hard to ensure that their wines get to market with little or no yeast cells; zero viable cells per bottle is the goal. Commercial white wines, especially those styles that don’t go through a malolactic fermentation (where helpful bacteria eat natural malic acid in grapes and turn it into lactic acid), will almost always be sterile filtered. This is because residual malic acid is a tempting treat for any ambient bacteria that would be abundant in unfiltered wine.

I drink quite a bit of wine - no wheat in the ones I enjoy. ;) None of the many wines I've enjoyed have been an issue. :)