This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's The Main Difference Of Crohns And Celiac

faithforlife

faithforlife Apprentice

I know celiac usually improves on a gluten-free diet. Is Crohns related to celiac? Im reading that the intestinal damage looks similar. Just wondering if Crohns is something we should be tested for. I had my endoscopy late in the game 6 months after the gluten-free diet and the doc could see scalloping in duodenum. Will that heal in time? Makes me worry also that I'm accidentally buying cross contaminated groceries. Or could it be gluten-free oats? FYI I don't have celiac symptoms but was positive for antibodies and genetics. And still waiting on biopsy results.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

My sister has Crohn's and her main symptom is D. It's considered auto-immune too.

I guess they can tell by the biopsy if it's Crohn's or Celiac? They're both inflamatory but under the microscope they have different cells visable? There's some speculation that those with Crohn's would be wise to try gluten-free? My sister's Dr. told her diet didn't matter with Crohn's when she asked.

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose Celiac. The treatment for it no gluten and that is much easier than having a disease with no known cause? My sister has to have IV treatmnts to knock out her immune system, and that's all they can do for her.

frieze Community Regular

....different ends of the digestive tract.

GFinDC Veteran

I think they can test for Crohn's by looking for antibodies to yeast. Some people do have both celiac and Crohn's. I guess that's different kind of CC. Some people with Crohn's follow the gluten-free diet also.

Gemini Experienced

My sister has Crohn's and her main symptom is D. It's considered auto-immune too.

I guess they can tell by the biopsy if it's Crohn's or Celiac? They're both inflamatory but under the microscope they have different cells visable? There's some speculation that those with Crohn's would be wise to try gluten-free? My sister's Dr. told her diet didn't matter with Crohn's when she asked.

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose Celiac. The treatment for it no gluten and that is much easier than having a disease with no known cause? My sister has to have IV treatmnts to knock out her immune system, and that's all they can do for her.

As Frieze already mentioned, Crohn's is an inflammatory disease of the large intestine, while Celiac is the small intestine. Similar symptoms but each affects a different part of the bowel.

Crohn's has genetic components to it and that's why you see it run in families...like Celiac. However, you cannot knock it into remission by diet alone.

I think it much worse because many people with Crohn's have to have sections of the large intestine removed due to damage from poorly controlled inflammation. I have heard of Crohn's patients who follow the gluten-free diet and they claim it does help them a lot but I wonder if the 2 diseases are common together? I would bet they are.

The AMA has no real treatment for most autoimmune problems except to suppress the immune system but that can be dangerous to do for long periods of time.

I feel lucky as all hell to have Celiac and not something else that cannot be controlled by diet. I don't believe that diet is irrelevant with Crohn's.

That's just the misguided belief of the AMA.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Crohn's can affect your digestive system anywhere from the mouth to the other end, and everything in between. My sister has had her Colon removed and it's now attacking her small intestine. It's brutal.

Celiac doesn't look as bad to me? At least it can be controlled?

ChristenDG Rookie

My best friend has Crohn's Disease (which runs in my family, but fortunately I do not have!). I very much agree that Celiacs is much better to deal with! Remove gluten and the damage can heal and you can have a fairly normal life! With Crohn's though, the way I understand it and from my experience, there's not much you can do. You can eat carefully and whatnot, but there doesn't really seem to be a way to control the symptoms. The symptoms are all very similar though and before I was diagnosed with Celiacs the doctors believed I might have Crohn's. Thank God it wasn't!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

faithforlife Apprentice

Thanks everyone. I find it very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
49erlady Newbie

I was just dx with both Celiac Disease and Crohns on the same day. The dr told me they don't know of a def correlation but would not surprise him if the Celiac got so bad that it triggered the Crohns. However no way to tell. Balancing the two is going to be challenging but I will find a way. Long road ahead for me!

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

My grandmother was dx'ed with Crohn's when she was much, much older...when she was in her 70s. She was tested for celiac in the 1990s, but it came back negative. My family is convinced she had gluten-intolerance, and most likely celiac, even though she did have a negative test. The Crohn's was absolutely nasty--she eventually had to have a colostomy bag.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi 49er,

My younger brother had both celiac and Crohn's. It is not unheard of to have both. I wish you the best in your journey. I wish I understood more about celiac back then so I could have helped him. He didn't really follow the gluten-free diet. But we know a lot more about how to eat healthy these days. On some Crohn's forums they are people who say the gluten-free diet helps their symptoms. Some say it doesn't help them. So it is a variable thing. Maybe it will help you. :)

Open Original Shared Link

Links for info on IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease).

heidi g. Contributor

You will know if you have crohns because I've heard the pain from it be described as close to labor pains. Now I'll tell ya from experience those hurt! I had ulcerative colitis when I was younger and luckily it healed.by itself but (very similar pain as crohns) and id wake up sweaty. I know several people who have crohns disease and their Main symptoms are extreme pain and bloody diarrhea. It will only get worse too. You get sicker and sicker. Now depending on she. Your symptoms started but the doctors.most likely would of seen the extreme inflammation crohns causes. Hope that made you feel better. (I myself questioned if I had crohns at one point so I asked people who actually have it.)

Archived