This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

IHOP

Finally-45

Finally-45 Contributor

I noticed someone last posted about IHOP over a year ago and I thought it would be worth keeping a reminder out there. It's easy to get fooled ito thinking if you order hash browns and eggs/omlet and ask for it to be prepared on a clean grill separate from everything else you're safe. (The waitress/waiter will always try to assure you they are actually complying with your request; she/he has ulterior motives.)

Anyway, it needs to be clear that IHOP puts pancake batter in the omlets and the hash browns are not gluten free. These 2 items "sound" gluten-free! It's not even worth the risk of having them prepared on the same grill as the pancakes anyway. I have kids that love IHOP (because mommy won't cook pancakes at home) and I end up having a cup of coffee and talking while everyone else eats.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

My experience with IHOP is that you ask for the fresh egg omelet and omelets are never cooked in the same place as pancakes. I've never gotten sick from one. I don't do the hash browns.

richard

lichjen Rookie

You can ask for the eggs at I Hop with out the batter in the eggs - I know when I ate low carb I was able to do that and they did make special eggs

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Yes, putting some pancake batter is the norm for their omelettes.

A kind waitress told me when I was first diagnosed and she talked to the cooks to make me a separate order (coffee and omelette, the only for sure safe thing there).

Did not get sick!

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't personally think IHOP is a safe place to eat if you have gluten issues. I can't speak for the hash browns. I don't know if they contain gluten or not. But... They are making pancake batter. So flour is in the air.

lovegrov Collaborator

I'm certain the IHOP pancake batter comes already mixed in containers -- that's how they make sure they taste the same from restaurant to restaurant. There's no flour flying from mixing it up. I've had good luck at IHOP asking for the fresh egg omelettes.

richard

Skylark Collaborator

I'm a chicken. I order eggs hard-fried so I can see that there is egg and nothing else. :lol: A little bacon (I have never seen gluten in bacon) and gluten-free toast from my purse and I'm good to go. I'll do that at pretty much any greasy spoon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChristenDG Rookie

I was curious about IHop. My husband has been wanting to go, but I couldn't find much ingredient information on their website so I was afraid I would just be asking for eggs as plain as I could get them.

I am glad to know they put pancake batter in their eggs though...that just seems strange!

I was told that they use it to make their omelettes "fluffy".

Also, IMO, I'd only order bacon out if I knew it was both gluten-free and the pan used was not c/c.

I would not trust a "griddle", they cook everything on there and I'd be confident c/c would be typical.

kareng Grand Master

I was told that they use it to make their omelettes "fluffy".

Also, IMO, I'd only order bacon out if I knew it was both gluten-free and the pan used was not c/c.

I would not trust a "griddle", they cook everything on there and I'd be confident c/c would be typical.

I have never seen bacon, at least in the US, with gluten. Where it's cooked might be an issue.

psawyer Proficient

I have never seen bacon, at least in the US, with gluten. Where it's cooked might be an issue.

I'm in Canada, on the diet for over eleven years. I, too, have yet to find a bacon with gluten. I suppose anything is possible. I expect if it does turn up, it will be delivered by the Tooth Fairy, who is represented by an inexpensive lawyer. Well, I can dream, can't I? I don't worry about bacon. B)

mushroom Proficient

If it weren't too expensive, Peter, I would send you some gluten-containing bacon by special delivery from New Zealand. I know it would be inedible by the time it got there, but it would be inedible for you anyway because of the gluten that would be in it. We have to check every package. Don't know if they do it in Oz too?? I have to pray that the Tooth Fairy has delivered gluten free bacon :P I have a couple of reliable bacon companies who do no gluten. Same with sausages. So even when in U.S. I automatically check all ham, bacon, hot dogs and sausages because I don't want to get out of the habit :rolleyes:

kareng Grand Master

If it weren't too expensive, Peter, I would send you some gluten-containing bacon by special delivery from New Zealand. I know it would be inedible by the time it got there, but it would be inedible for you anyway because of the gluten that would be in it. We have to check every package. Don't know if they do it in Oz too?? I have to pray that the Tooth Fairy has delivered gluten free bacon :P I have a couple of reliable bacon companies who do no gluten. Same with sausages. So even when in U.S. I automatically check all ham, bacon, hot dogs and sausages because I don't want to get out of the habit :rolleyes:

That's why I said US. I have heard that in the UK & in NZ, they like to add trash fillers to things like sausages. And now bacon. Its a bunch of baloney! :(

mommida Enthusiast

I just want to remind people that with such a global economy and politics running rampant, check every label.

When my dughter was hospitalized, the apple juice was from Germany. This hospital is on the borderline of Detroit, Mi. We have many local apple orchards here. I can not see how it would be cost efficient to get apple juice from Germany when there is local manufacturers.

Half of the label was in German. I went to the vending machine and bought her Vernor's. ;) ;)

lichjen Rookie

speaking of IHOP I wnet last night as we had a 2 free meals coupon from the district manager (we had a BAD experience before I went BF) - we went to a different restaurant tho LOL. Before we sat down. told the manager I was gluten-free. He said he would clean the grill. I got chicken, seasoned potatoes and broccoli. I didn't know it but the seasonings in the potatoes had gluten in them and he didn't use the seasonings!! wtg manager!!

GFestes Newbie

I'm a chicken. I order eggs hard-fried so I can see that there is egg and nothing else. :lol: A little bacon (I have never seen gluten in bacon) and gluten-free toast from my purse and I'm good to go. I'll do that at pretty much any greasy spoon.

As we understand it, bacon, ham, and sausage can attract gluten during the curing process. Fillers may be added to meat (most notably sausage). Turkey may be injected with gluten (to appear plump). Marinades may be used on any prepared meat. We have only come across bacon containing gluten once. It was an inexpensive package in a house brand. I read all labels -- including those in restaurants that do not have an acceptable gluten free protocol in place.

• 4 weeks later...
TAHBomba Newbie

I know the general manager of the IHOP that I frequent. I always ask if she is there and if not... can they tell her "hi" for me. I order the egg white omelettes with and no cheese. I get grits (ground hominy) and fruit instead of bread. The GM made up this dish for me.

I typically go into a restaurant and order a drink and hang around and talk to the employees and managers before I order anything including a salad. I work in a restaurant and it's a running joke at work that I know the ingredients better than the manager.

mushroom Proficient

We need a celiac with practical restaurant experience on here :D

BabsV Enthusiast

I'm in Poland and I haven't been able to easily find bacon, sausages, ham, lunch meats or hot dogs that are gluten free. I have found sausage a couple of times at one of the natural food stores but it was ridiculously expensive and tasted wretched! Add to that the fact that they add flavoringsbroths (which contain gluten) to fresh meats here and I'm on a really limited diet. Needless to say I am counting the days until our return to the US this summer so I'll have a few more options. I am really really sick of fish at this point... :)

mushroom Proficient

Hope you get out of your Polish hell soon, Babs :)

There is a bright side to things. I visited a local fruiterer/butcher today, a little homegrown operation with big aspirations (well, one branch went bye-bye in the earthquakes) but they are slowly starting to expand the range of things they carry. First it was gluten free sausages and ham and bacon, then it was gluten free bread. Now, today, I find a whole gluten-free shelf of products, some of which I haven't even seen in major chains (the little guy getting the edge??). They are slowly posititioning themselves more upmarket. With any luck at all about where you live stateside, when you return you will find similar incredible leaps in the availablity of food to eat. :)

lovegrov Collaborator

As we understand it, bacon, ham, and sausage can attract gluten during the curing process. Fillers may be added to meat (most notably sausage). Turkey may be injected with gluten (to appear plump). Marinades may be used on any prepared meat. We have only come across bacon containing gluten once. It was an inexpensive package in a house brand. I read all labels -- including those in restaurants that do not have an acceptable gluten free protocol in place.

"Attract" gluten during the curing process? What the heck does that mean? Never heard of it.

If you know of sausages with "fillers" that contain gluten, please post them on here. I've never found one.

If you know of a turkey that's injected with anything containing gluten to "plump" them up, please post the brand here. I've never found one.

richard

speaking of IHOP I wnet last night as we had a 2 free meals coupon from the district manager (we had a BAD experience before I went BF) - we went to a different restaurant tho LOL. Before we sat down. told the manager I was gluten-free. He said he would clean the grill. I got chicken, seasoned potatoes and broccoli. I didn't know it but the seasonings in the potatoes had gluten in them and he didn't use the seasonings!! wtg manager!!

Regarding "seasonings"; a local breakfast place here uses a small amount of Ranch Dressing flavored dry mix on their potatoes...guess what? Gluten!

I totally agree, for years Honey Baked Ham had wheat in the glaze.

I've seen it here in the US in sausage.

Why NOT read the label? Peace of mind is worth a lot when trying to enjoy your meal.

beebs Enthusiast

I always moan about being gluten-free - but I have realised after reading this thread how lucky we are here in Oz. All of the store brand sausages in both of the two major supermarkets are gluten-free, including most of the other brands that goes for 99% of the ham and bacon here as well.

Must be a nightmare in places where you don't have labelling laws and where you can't get anything gluten free:(

• 1 year later...
karenwill2 Newbie

I had been doing very well eating out lately up until my son made me try IHOP today. I had 2 eggs, hashbrowns and sausage and have been sick ever since. I checked the allergen info and supposedly, I made good choices so there must have been some mega cross contamination going on. I just wanted to warn everyone in case this is the norm for the chain. I did advise the server that I cannot have wheat so to keep toast and etc as far away from my food as possible but it still did not work. I will NOT be back.

Archived