cindasana

Whoops!

Rate this topic

Hi all, I'm new here. Aside from the odd post, I think I might mainly 'lurk' here until I get tested for celiac.. I did post earlier here: but, in retrospect, I suppose my first post should have been in here!

My research on celiac started sort of accidentally, but I'm so glad I've gone down that path! As odd as it sounds, I do hope that there is some confirmation that I am intolerant of gluten in some way, because there would be an ANSWER to all the things that have been coming up with me....depression/anxiety, changes in my menstrual cycle, anemia (with vertical ridges on my nails to go along with it), missing lunula on my fingernails (though I had them when I was younger), osteopenia, hair loss, gas/D/other gastro issues, dry mouth, very hard time remembering things, including words, hard time thinking sometimes, mood changes, I'm sure I'm leaving some things out. Add to that Irish heritage and the fact that there is celiac, autoimmune and other digestive diseases in my family.. I think maybe being tested would be a good thing? :rolleyes:

I've really been learning a lot, reading through the tons of informative posts here, so thank you!

Cheers,

Cindi

Hey with that list of symptoms, get your thyroid checked too. There is a connection between Celiac and auto-immune thyroid disorders. (By the way a Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnoses is sometimes tricky to get diagnosed.)

Glad to see you are joining the fun of posting! It can be a life saver having a group of peeps that understand going gluten free is a huge change. ;):P

Definitely get tested. If bloodwork is negative, then still go gluten-free for 8 weeks or so, then reintroduce. That's what I did, and I had a VERY definite neurological response to gluten. If gluten is the root of your problems, give the diet time. It took 8 months for my brain to reactivate and my depression and anxiety to disappear. At 11 months gluten-free, I'm happy most of the time, anxiety free, and can think as quickly as I did 20 years ago.

Hi Cindi,

Welcome to the site. I totally get what you mean by hoping it is celiac disease. It is nice to find an explanation sometimes. You do need to keep eating gluten until your testing is complete. It is easier to stay on gluten and get tested than to go on the diet, go back off for testing and start over on the diet. Some people don't need the test by a doctor to confirm what their body is telling them. Others want the doctors diagnosis, especially people with no symptoms.

Anyhow, stick around and ask questions if you like. Most of us have had our rabies shots. :)