AFRANSE

Confused

Rate this topic

I am needing some advise, I have been on the gluten free diet for 5 days and this morning I noticed I was not having any of my GI issues. I felt great! Then I ate dinner and it all came back with a vengeance. I am confused because I don't know what I ate that had gluten in it. I ate corn pasta noodles with spaghetti sauce that says it was gluten free with hamburger meat and canned green beans. I did not use any spices. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Are you newly diagnosed with celiac disease, or suspect that you have it? If so, your intestines have been damaged and are just now beginning to heal. During the healing process, you may react to foods for no reason at all, or due to something other than gluten. Reactions to fatty foods, spicy foods, and foods containing lactose (milk sugar) are common during recovery.

Are you newly diagnosed with celiac disease, or suspect that you have it? If so, your intestines have been damaged and are just now beginning to heal. During the healing process, you may react to foods for no reason at all, or due to something other than gluten. Reactions to fatty foods, spicy foods, and foods containing lactose (milk sugar) are common during recovery.

I have had the blood test done and it came back negative but my doctor still wants me to try taking out gluten due to all of my issues. Thank you so much for your reply that makes total sense.

Some posters here on the forum have mentioned that they are also sensitive to nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers). Perhaps you might consider eliminating this particular group of foods to see if they might also be contributing to your illness. The spaghetti sauce would have contained tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Just a thought....

Oh...and just one more thought--when you first go gluten free, it's usually best to eat only natural foods. That means avoiding gluten-free pastas and breads, canned foods, foods that come out of a jar, etc. Believe me--eating only natural foods will help tremendously when it comes to escaping cross-contamination. You'll also be eating a diet high in nutrients, which you need right now. Americans have become so accustomed to a diet that is either fast food or that comes out of a box, can, bag, or jar, it's easy for them to forget what "natural" means. Stick with simple foods for the first few months on the gluten-free diet, and you might begin to feel better sooner.

I too noticed something similar when I first went gluten-free. If it continues you might find it useful to keep a food diary. I kept one and it helped me to work out that I'm sensitive to onions, which bring on similar symptoms as I get from gluten (although not as bad).