LauraZ

Scalp Problems

Rate this topic

Hi, i am Joan, and I have been gluten free for 15 months now. Before that I used to had terrible dandruff like flakes falling from my scalp, it itched a lot and I was losing so much hair that I was worried, I tried different shampoos and vitamins, nothing seemed to help. Also my nails broke for no reason all the time. Then I was diagnosed a gluten allergy because I use to had terrible migraines. I started the gluten free diet and almost immediately my hair and nails improved so much that I couldn

Joan, you posted in a thread which is from 2005. I doubt that the original posters are around anymore. Always remember to check the dates on the threads.wink.gif

Welcome to the board Joan!smile.gif

I too have this along the back of my neck and on my scalp, sometimes behind my ears and was loosing huge clumps of hair, I have thick hair so it wasn't noticable to anyone but me, but I swear I could have made a wig or two with it.

My rash was all over my body and actually was diagnosed with a positive TPO for hos$#&moto's by an allergist, the Endo he sent me to recogonized that the rash, and the TPO and all my other issues (low vit D, anemia, low vit B etc) were all from celiac and sent me for a boipsy, the derm said no need to biopsy this is DH. So I have a diagnoises but without biopsy, but agreeded upon by two dr's, so I was very comfortable with that.

My body cleared just going gluten free, my face and scalp have been more work, all my haircare products and body products had gluten (as well as my color) so I had to change all of those. I still had episodes and gave up iodine (based on help here and the relation to hoshimoto's) and I an happy to say I am 99% clear on my face and scalp.

It is my experience that if you have a skin reaction of any sort to gluten you have to rid your life of gluten not just your diet, makeup, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

Now if I can just get all my animals foods and treats gluten free I will be thrilled (right now someone else in the family does all the animal care until I fully transfer them over)

Hi.  I can't seem to find out any information about this scalp itching and the flaking off like oatmeal except for in here.  I have been off gluten for a month now and am eating Quaker rice cakes .  Had 2 today, and while I do not have tummy troubles, I do notice that the itchy skin at my elbows starts to burn and itch, and my head gets very itchy and the dandruff kind of thickens and gets very itchy.   i get this all over my head.  I can't seem to locate any info about these symptoms.  Does anyone in here deal with this from other things than wheat?

Thank You,

BeeGFree

Omigosh Laura Z.  What you described , describes ME perfectly this past year.  Perfect description of the scalp.  That has been my biggest problem.  And it increases late afternoon and night.  I couldnt get docs to understand that a 9 am appt would not produce that for them.

I have been through h and back.  And I am right back to where i started.  Its DH, and I don't test positive because of the low IGA I think  (I have similar to your number).  I am so upset I could scream.

Irish

On 8/30/2005 at 9:33 AM, LauraZ said:

Thanks, Karen. Interesting you mention that -- Thyroid problems run in my family -- my uncles and cousins all have it. Mine has been checked and shown to be normal... Is there is another type of test that is more sensitive that I should request? My knowledge of thyroid tests is minimal...

Thanks!

Laura

Sounds like hashamotos disease.