kaygato

Gluten In Medications?

Rate this topic

Is this a problem? My parents think I'm overreacting and its "such a small amount". Also what do you do if you get generic and the manufacturer changes often when you go to refill it? Thanks for the help! :)

Yes, it is a major problem because the FDA does not yet require it to be labelled, and that small amount CAN hurt you. It is best if you can enlist the help of your pharmacist. Get your scrips filled at the same pharmacy, have your file marked as gluten free and if you get the right one, they will check for you that your new generic is gluten free. Sometimes you have to pay for brand name to get a non-gluten drug :( Otherwise, there is a list of gluten free drugs (glutenfreedrugs.com) which is generally pretty up to date, or you have to call or email the manufacturer if it's not listed there. Sometimes the manufacturer can't tell you because they buy ingredients from other suppliers who do not specify whether or not there is gluten in what they supply :( :(

I'm sorry, but your parents are wrong; you are right to be concerned. Most of my glutenings have come from medications. :rolleyes:

I have been glutened by an brand named medication named Xyzal. I could not believe it. I missed the whole month of November 2009, which was the month my Aunt died. I was too sick to go see her before she died and did not go to the funeral. I barely remember the month. So be careful, be very careful.

Before you pick up a prescription,make sure its gluten-free. Many pharmacists won't or aren"t "allowed" to call companies & ask if the med is gluten-free. I have had pharmacists tell me it doesn't matter. I find out what they have filled the perscription with and the manufacturer. Then call your self & find out.

If you pick it up & then call, you can't return it. Your insurance won't pay for you to get a second set of the same meds. IF its a narcotic/pain killer, you may be entered in a "drug seeker" data base for trying to fill the script twice.

However, from what I have been seeing, it appears that gluten isn't used much in medications. You may get a CYA statement that there are no gluten ingredients but they won't say gluten-free because they don't test for gluten.