Mom-of-Two

Green & Black Organic Chocolate

Rate this topic

We love the 85% dark chocolate by Green & Black Organics, I have been gluten free about 10 days and haven't had an issue with it, it states that wheat traces could be possible due to shared equipment but no gluten in the bar itself. I emailed the company and got a very vague response that did not answer my question.

Should I try to find a gluten free chocolate that would be safer snd what are your recommendations?

Weird, checked the label and it states contains milk, manufactured on equipment that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, and soy. There is nothing about wheat on the label.

It could be a labeling change. If you're getting conflicting info, I personally wouldn't risk it.

The Endangered Species brand is really good and is certified gluten free. They donate 10% of their profits to conservation.

Enjoy Life is another one; it's free of the 8 major allergens and is certified gluten free. I don't think it's as tasty, but at least it's chocolate. :)

I've also heard that Ghirardelli is ok.

Are you silent celiac, or just generally worried? I have noticeable gluten reactions so I don't worry about foods to which I don't react.

I have only been gluten-free for 10 days so just trying to be sure I am not getting hidden sources of it without my knowledge. I don't know what is bothering me since I am not feeling that much different yet :) In other words I don't feel well yet to knowif the chocolate is bothering me.

I know that some people can eat things that are gluten-free but are manufactured on equipment that may be questionable. Others are super sensitive so this is all new to me, and only being gluten-free not even 2 weeks yet, I am just trying to be cautious of what has CC issues.

On the label it says it contains milk, and is processed on a line that also processes peanuts, soy, and tree nuts ( no wheat). The website has it listed in the no gluten section as well, and the email response from them stated wheat would be listed if it was a concern.

I tried the Endangered Species ones, did not care at all for them and so much more sugar. Maybe I will just skip the chocolate for now and find another treat :)

Super-sensitivity is uncommon. The chocolate sounds fine to me since it doesn't have wheat warnings. :) They may have been making something with wheat and discontinued it.