Cathey

Newport, R. I.

Rate this topic

Hubby and I are planning a 3 night getaway to Newport in 2 weeks. I have searched old boards for suggestions and found some new ones that offer gluten-free menu's. Does anyone have any new suggestions?

Thanks all.

Cathey

Well this past weekend was a huge learning experience. I did my research on restaurants before we left made phone calls and asked questions. I gotta say we had the best time. Spent 2 nights in a hotel and 1 night in a light house.

I found a gluten free bakery in Middletown just 5 minutes outside Newport. OMG, this place had the best fresh bread, rolls, biscotti, cookies, muffins, etc. I have not had anything so delicious since going gluten-free. The name is Eva Ruth's they distribute to local stores and do mail order. I just placed an order yesterday. If you check out the website look at the menu they offer alot more in the menu then on the site.

So the restaurants we tried were The Red Parrot, Benjamin s, Diego's, Diego's yes we went twice, O Briens, some had gluten-free menus others accommodated. The wait staff was so educated where every we went, all I said was gluten intolerant they couldn't do enough for me. Sadly The Cookie Jar, just a cookie place twisted me. I asked gluten-free yes we have macaroons ok give me 2. I get outside and realized she used her gloves she had been rolling cookie dough with was all over the bag. Well that ended in the garbage.

Brought fresh fish off the docks and brought to the lighthouse for lunch and dinner.

This was our first time away since going gluten-free, gotta thank the wonderful folks in Newport.

Well this past weekend was a huge learning experience. I did my research on restaurants before we left made phone calls and asked questions. I gotta say we had the best time. Spent 2 nights in a hotel and 1 night in a light house.

I found a gluten free bakery in Middletown just 5 minutes outside Newport. OMG, this place had the best fresh bread, rolls, biscotti, cookies, muffins, etc. I have not had anything so delicious since going gluten-free. The name is Eva Ruth's they distribute to local stores and do mail order. I just placed an order yesterday. If you check out the website look at the menu they offer alot more in the menu then on the site.

So the restaurants we tried were The Red Parrot, Benjamin s, Diego's, Diego's yes we went twice, O Briens, some had gluten-free menus others accommodated. The wait staff was so educated where every we went, all I said was gluten intolerant they couldn't do enough for me. Sadly The Cookie Jar, just a cookie place twisted me. I asked gluten-free yes we have macaroons ok give me 2. I get outside and realized she used her gloves she had been rolling cookie dough with was all over the bag. Well that ended in the garbage.

Brought fresh fish off the docks and brought to the lighthouse for lunch and dinner.

This was our first time away since going gluten-free, gotta thank the wonderful folks in Newport.

Cathey....you stayed in a lighthouse? May I ask where? I used to go to Newport a lot but haven't been in a long while.

I did not have any experience with finding gluten-free places so was really impressed with what you found. I had no idea you could stay in a lighthouse, though.....very cool!