This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Dx And Feeling Overwhelmed.

49erlady

49erlady Newbie

Just got diagnosed a week ago and doing my best to live gluten free. So much to learn! I was also dx with crohns at the same time which throws another wrench in my food as I have to eat bland foods, no fresh fruit or vegies right now either. Eventually as my crohns symptoms heal I'll be able to add food. However, right now it's frustrating. Getting pretty tired of scrambled eggs, chicken, rice, and potatoes.

My family is wonderful and helping me out. However, Im feeling kinda out of control if that makes any sense. I am double checking everything they get for me that they believe are gluten free. I'm double washing my dishes because our dish washer its working right now. I don't want them to think i don't trust them or appreciate what they are doing. I just have this need to know what exactly is going into or touching my food. Am I over doing it? Or is this normal? Any good suggestions?

Also, anyone else also dx with crohns?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BabsV Enthusiast

Welcome! The beginning of the gluten-free adventure (I try to think of it that way versus a challenge) is really hard...a steep learning curve about everything. I'm six months in and I am only now starting to feel like maybe I can pull this all off successfully. It does get easier. I can say that at the beginning I was completely paranoid about the kitchen, dishes, ingredients, etc. I basically didn't want anyone else touching anything I was even thinking of ingesting. My family humored me -- my husband (who hates to cook or shop) happily handed over everything kitchen and food related and made himself scarce! I have relaxed a bit but also I figure a little paranoia won't hurt me (right!?!?) if it means I am super-careful about what I am cooking and how I am cooking it. I was so sick prior to diagnosis that being extra-vigilent is the price I am willing to pay for getting healthy again.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Just got diagnosed a week ago and doing my best to live gluten free. So much to learn! I was also dx with crohns at the same time which throws another wrench in my food as I have to eat bland foods, no fresh fruit or vegies right now either. Eventually as my crohns symptoms heal I'll be able to add food. However, right now it's frustrating. Getting pretty tired of scrambled eggs, chicken, rice, and potatoes.

My family is wonderful and helping me out. However, Im feeling kinda out of control if that makes any sense. I am double checking everything they get for me that they believe are gluten free. I'm double washing my dishes because our dish washer its working right now. I don't want them to think i don't trust them or appreciate what they are doing. I just have this need to know what exactly is going into or touching my food. Am I over doing it? Or is this normal? Any good suggestions?

Also, anyone else also dx with crohns?

My biopsy report mentioned the possibility of Crohn's, but the Dr. said she didn't think I had it. My sister has it, so I thought it worth testing for?

I've read several articles suggesting that Crohn's patients do better off gluten, so hopefully your gluten-free diet will help? Probiotics are a good idea, and there are some people that are finding adding coconut oil to their diet daily is healing to the intestine. I've just started eating a spoonful at each meal. It has so many benefits to the body that I figure it's worth trying?

I am VERY paranoid about anyone preparing my food. I want to do it myself so I know there's no cc. We have a shared kitchen so the chance of getting glutened is there.

My family thinks I'm obsessive because I have several plates, bowls, and glasses, and silverware that I keep set aside for my use. I wash them by hand immediately after eating rather than putting them in the dishwasher. I've seen dishes come out of the dishwasher with crud on them. I'm not taking any chances on that crud being gluten!

My son eats a lot of canned pasta, etc. and the dishes sit in his room until he has a big stack, then he puts them in the sink to be rinsed and added to the dishwasher. I wear latex gloves when handling them. They can roll their eyes all they want around here, I'm going to do what I need to, to feel safe.

Skylark Collaborator

Yeah that's pretty normal. I am OCD about reading labels ever since something changed ingredients and I got glutened. Family members shouldn't want to make a mistake because they love you, but they don't have that nagging fear of being miserable. When I visit family they have learned to just hand me labels and let me double-check or point out the gluten-free label on the box. I just joke with my family and call it my gluten OCD. They've seen me ill and they understand why I'm a little paranoid. :lol:

49erlady Newbie

Thank you all for the responses. Makes me feel better knowing I'm doing what's right for my health. My family is wonderful but they don't understand just how I'll it makes me feel. I hope they never do!

Thanks for the coconut oil info. I will look into that.

Archived