birdie22

Question About Progresso Soup

Rate this topic

I saw on the Progresso site the list of soups that are gluten free. I'm curious why some of the others that don't have gluten ingredients aren't on the list. I have 2 different chicken and rice varieties that arent on the list. There is food starch listed but the allergy statement only says contains soy. They both have a no added MSG statement. Any thoughts as to why these aren't gluten free?

Some companies do testing or take other special measures for those products that they claim as gluten-free on the label. Other products which do not contain any gluten may lack a "gluten-free" label because they have not been tested.

That make sense. I guess I'm curious as to why progresso would take that step for some soups and not others that don't seem to have gluten ingredients. I'm specifically looking at the Creamy Roasted Chicken Wild Rice and the Chicken and Wild Rice. The varieties they list as gluten-free on their site don't necessarily carry at gluten-free label on the cans (like the Chicken Rice w/ Vegetables). Now I could assume it's the wild rice that could be problematic but again the allergy statement for these soups does not list wheat, just soy or soy and milk (the creamy roasted one).

I'm just having a hard time trying to find a soup that I can trust to eat. My local store doesn't stock most of the Progresso varieties they list on their site as gluten-free.

I believe the Progresso Chicken & Wild Rice used to carry the gluten-free label but no longer does. I have no idea why they took it off that list except they no longer feel comfortable labeling it gluten-free.

Wild rice should not be a problem.

Do you have a local Wal-Mart? They have a good many Progresso soups but not all, of course. While it's convenient to use prepared soups at times, there's nothing that beats homemade so I keep a stash of single serving sizes in my freezer when I make a batch of soup.

Thanks Sylvia! I was able to find 3 or 4 different gluten-free labeled Progressos at Walmart. I was surprised not to find them at my Wegmans which is known for having a great variety of products. I happily enjoyed a gluten-free Progresso creamy potato and broccoli soup for lunch. :D

Someone wrote Progresso and they can't guarantee the soups not labeled gluten-free are not CC.