Mom-of-Two

Playdough Causing Reaction?

Rate this topic

Now that I know I am celiac, I have been keeping myself awake wondering if my kids are going to test positive. I have them an appt in one month for blood testing with the ped.GI-- so I just had something happen that made me go hmmmmmm.....my 4yo is playing with PlayDough- which of course is made with wheat, my 7yo plays with it daily at school....She has recurrent rashes and dry skin on her hands. She has had hives on her hands once too, about a year ago......it occured to me wow, is this a sign that she could be reacting to the wheat and be celiac!!!! I know, I am the new celiac investigator :))

Yes. It is more than possible & is in fact quite likely. It has happened before. And you must be careful that you clean under their nails very well to get it all out. Otherwise it will sit under there & come back to haunt you.

PlayDough- which of course is made with wheat, my 7yo plays with it daily at school....She has recurrent rashes and dry skin on her hands. She has had hives on her hands once too, about a year ago......it occured to me wow, is this a sign that she could be reacting to the wheat and be celiac!!!!

I would think this type of reaction may fall closer to the wheat/gluten allergy side of things, but that is biased based on our family's experience. We have both celiac and wheat/gluten allergy, and it can certainly cause confusion. And if it is wheat/gluten "allergy", then it is quite possible that the standard celiac tests may show negative. Good luck figuring it out!

My children and I have celiac disease, and play-doh is such a problem!

I love all the cute sets, and so I buy them, and remove the unopened play-doh. It gives my kids rashes, and my 2 yo can get it in her mouth, so I make our play-doh out of rice flour and color it with natural colors.

You are so smart to have figured that! You are a detective, for sure.

I would think this type of reaction may fall closer to the wheat/gluten allergy side of things, but that is biased based on our family's experience. We have both celiac and wheat/gluten allergy, and it can certainly cause confusion. And if it is wheat/gluten "allergy", then it is quite possible that the standard celiac tests may show negative. Good luck figuring it out!

I agree B)

I agree B)

So do I.

Has you child been eating wheat this whole time? If so and she hasn't been reacting to it through ingestion I would doubt it is an allergy. There could just be something irritating in the formula that her skin reacts to.

Yes, my kids eat a normal diet, they do not have any symptoms of intolerances, they are both being tested next month for celiac because of me having it. I guess I was just thinking the irritation on her skin could be a clue that she has an issue with wheat or gluten.

I am probably overthinking :)

:) Over thinking is our job as parents ;)

I am not saying it isn't causing an issue, I was just pointing out that if they were eating it without obvious issues that it's not an allergy as people were speculating is all.

Hang in there and I hope you get some answers with the Celiac testing.