MrsMe

Help Needed

Rate this topic

Hi, I am just wondering how long it takes for people with Celiac to have a reaction if they eat some that effects them, such as gluten?

The reason why I ask this is because I have had food intolerance symptoms for about 4 years, plus I am diabetic so all the illness I have felt in the past I kept thinking it must be my diabetes (which is well controlled).

Until now I had put up with it, but we are now planning a family and I finally had enough when the symptoms kept appearing and I thought I cannot go through this whilst pregnant. So I saw my GP and she said my symptoms sound as if they may be a food intolerance but they are also classic celiac symptoms. Off I went for blood tests and it all came back negative.

I may not have Celiac but after going to a dinner party on Saturday night and being served a wheat based starter. It was followed by a few pains in my stomach, aches in my body and joints, sudden tiredness on and off for 4 and 1/2 days and then my stomach started to cramp and twist with an episode of Diarrhea.

Can it take this long for a reaction?

I currently feel exhausted and as if someone has pulled the batteries out of me.

Hopefully a few members can give me some good advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Your reaction actually started fairly quickly. It was the D part of the reaction that was delayed and that is not uncommon. While some will get an upset tummy within a short time for others the digestive upset can take up to a week. It can make it hard to figure out what glutened us until we know our own pattern.

It is possible to have an allergy to wheat, but not have celiac disease. Ae you having a food panel done?