come dance with me

Lunch Box Ideas For School/daycare

Rate this topic

Thought it would be good to start a thread for kiddy lunch box ideas.

Today my 8yo took:

Carrot, celery, beans, snow peas, cucumber and avocado

Home made banana bread

Watermelon

Apple

Rice crackers with grilled eggplant to put on them

Soy yoghurt

That's for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.

Great thread idea! :)

Today my 15mo took

Cucumber, grapes, pineapple

Rolled up gluten free deli turkey

shredded cheese

a snack mix of gluten-free cereals and freeze dried yogurt

That looks like such a small amount of food compared to your 8yo lunch! LOL. :)

My go-to's that I like to always have in the house for her are

Rice crackers

babybell cheese

Fresh fruit

Fresh veggies (Cucumber is a fave.)

Freeze dried yogurt (She's too messy with the real stuff for daycare)

Here is a link to another thread. There are additional links in some of the posts.

My kids took a deli sandwich on toast(Udi's), glutino pretzels, pudding cup and banana. For snack they took Schar table crackers with cheese and summer sausage.

Sandwiches made of waffles or pancakes

Grapes

Apples with peanut butter/yogurt dip (I do an 8 oz. cup of vanilla yogurt and add peanut butter to taste. Everyone loves it)

Boar's Head lunchmeat (sliced thick and cut into squares) with cheese and Schar table crackers.

A bowl of cereal and a thermos of milk

Ham rolls (cooked ham wrapped around a dill spear pickle and cream cheese) (Walmart brand cream cheese is gluten free)

I'll be honest with you, my daughter feels special when I pack leftovers the night before. She loves my cooking and all her friends want her lunch when she gets leftovers. I've sent steak and potatoes with creamed corn, spaghetti with garlic Schar ciabatta bread, Tomorrow she gets pork chops with cinnamon applesauce and buttered rice. But her school has two microwaves available to the kids to use; I know not all schools have that.

Someone on this forum (can't remember who) told me to get a thermos (the brand Thermos is what I got)--like a soup thermos. What a lifesaver!! I heat up some leftovers over the stove (today's was grilled chicken and home fries/potatoes), stick it in the thermos--it stays hot! My son LOVES it. This forum is the best for advice!!

As for snacks, lately I have been a little lazy and have grab some packaged things like little bags of crazins or gluten-free nut/fruit bar. But, most of the time, it's some carrots with a little container of dip or some grapes or whatever thing that will not go mushy.

My kids don't have access to a microwave, so that is why I got the Warm and Tote system for my kids. It works pretty good.

Yesterday they took leftover pasta with meat sauce, garlic toast and salad. Today they are taking leftover almond crusted chicken and steamed peas. Of course they took other things as well, like jello, fruit and other snacks. I never took lunches this good when I was in school. :lol:

My youngest is going through a stage where he doen't like Udi's bread or any other gluten free bread for that matter for sandwiches. So I make him wraps out of lettuce or crepes.

We live in a hot climate. School holidays fall on our coldest times. We get a whole 2 weeks where it gets cold, if that, lol. So hot lunches are not really good here. Also her school is strictly nut free. Tough for a gluten free vegan kid, but just makes us more creative.

One of my son's favorites is a corn tortilla with refried beans and salsa . . . sometimes cheese. I just sandwich two together and then cut it into wedges like a pizza. Sometimes we put the salsa on it (but it gets soggy), sometimes we put the salsa in a small container to dip the wedges.

Cara

We do "lunch munchers". They consist of Crunchmaster Multi-Grain crackers (these are the best crackers I have found. I even find myself snacking on them), squares of cheese and lunch meat, fruit and veggies and a dip (my dd likes gluten-free bbq sauce-go figure :lol:) Even my non-celiac child asks for this lunch :) (sans the bbq sauce...)