This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

To Nutritionist Or To Not Nutritionist?

jenn42

jenn42 Explorer

Is it important in the begining to get with a nutritionist to get started on the gluten free diet? Are they well informed of what exactly is needed to keep healthy on this lifestyle? What supplements are needed for good vitamin absorbtion? And...are probiotics necessary?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think it's a really personal decision. If you feel like you have a reasonable knowledge of nutrition, and food, then I'd skip it. If you feel that you would benefit from some information from a "professional", then by all means. Keep in mind that nutritionists vary WIDELY in their quality, and some may know next to nothing about a gluten free diet. Definitely look for personal recommendations and consider asking a few questions before scheduling any one particular nutritionist.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Initially we saw a nutritionist at the Childrens hospital and she was very well informed. She gaves us a Power point presentations, a large package of info , walked us through basic dietary needs etc... Overwhelmed us with info really, but at least we were armed with knowledge.

I got an iphone app for Gluten free foods which helped with the shopping and still does 2yrs later.

A few months back we were referred to a nutri within our Pedi assoc. My DD is in 95% ht and wt and had slightly elevated Chol last year so we are working on a healthier lifestyle with a child who doesn't like many veggies *sigh* . anyways, this Nutri sent me home with very little helpful info, and a suggestion to sub bread and rice with bulger and spelt bread. Yes, both those items contain wheat and would have made my girl very sick had I not checked it out first.

So my point is, it really depends on the Nutritionist you see. One In a hospital and dealing with GI problems all the time is your best bet.

Darn210 Enthusiast

The nutritionist that we saw (recommended by the ped GI) was well-informed. However, it took three weeks before we could get in to see her. By that time, I already knew most of what she had to share because of my online research. She did tell me (in answer to my question) . . . Yes, you DO have to have a separate toaster and a new cutting board. ;)

jenn42 Explorer

Great information! I have been doing so much research and the help of everyone here, I doubt I would need a Nutritionist. Just a thought.

Thanks again!

Avalon451 Apprentice

I thought the same thing: by the time the nutritionist could see us, we had already been gluten-free for 6 weeks. However, I saw her anyway. She is the nutritionist for Seattle Children's Hospital, and she was very well informed. This was last Tuesday, at our follow up with the GI doc. I started off telling the nutritionist that I had already done tons of research and had 3 cookbooks. So she just skimmed through the material, pointing out what we might find helpful, and she did have some very good information about local gluten-free suppliers and restaurants, as well as reams of online info, current "safe" lists, etc. Then she just sent it all home with me to refer to when needed.

One new thing I learned: she said that any time it said "Manufactured on shared equipment with wheat" that it was an absolute no for us. I mean, I kind of knew that but thought that maybe this early on, the CC wouldn't be enough to bother us. However, my youngest was quite sick that day, vomiting and D, and I think now it might have been from the onion soup mix I used in a recipe the night before, which had no gluten in it but stated that it used shared equipment.

Archived