This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Let's Talk About Poop For A Minute.

frenchiemama

jenvan Collaborator

Reading magazines is okay to do in the bathroom though :D I think the bathroom is nice because it is one place no one seems to bother you--and you can be alone. Unless you have kids I've heard... or maybe in your case Rachel :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
skbird Contributor

Yeah, you know how you put up with things when you're in love but at some point you start thinking, ok, that is down-right weird. I think he had a dysfunctional family so it was probably nice to hide out in the bathroom, but as an adult? Uh... time to get over it...

I have a friend in England who is opening up an internet store selling specialty bathroom items (like toilet seats, etc) and she asked me if I had any poop jokes, etc, because she has a page featuring that...

http://lootopia.co.uk/catalog/tek_quotes.php

Stephanie

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Reading magazines is okay to do in the bathroom though  :D  I think the bathroom is nice because it is one place no one seems to bother you--and you can be alone.  Unless you have kids I've heard...  or maybe in your case Rachel  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I'm single for the time being...so for now I do get privacy! I guess there *are* benefits to being on my own :)

JLK Rookie

Mucus is usually associated with a Candida overgrowth of the intestines. Candida takes advantage of our gluten-damaged insides and shifts growth forms from yeast-like to fungi-like, with mycelial extensions that work their way into and between our cells like roots, causing further damage. At this point, with a damaged small intestine, Candida becomes systemic. This is another terrible burden on our livers...

I am doing a Candida cleanse right now (just by taking caprylic acid and eating lots of garlic) and have noticed an improvement in just a week. I never was one to eat a lot of sweets; sweets feed the hungry buggers. Some people have to cut all sugars, starches, and complex carbs from their diets for weeks in order to get their Candida under control again, which is really hard to do! When we are healthy, our immune system in conjunction with the friendly bacteria in our guts keep Candida in check. However, if we are still suffering from gluten ingestion our guts are not in good shape (leaky gut syndrome), our immune systems are overworked from all the food antigens escaping the gut lumen and getting in our blood, and we are in a state of intestinal dysbiosis meaning that our friendly gut bacteria have lost the war and need reinforcements! (I am also taking a good probiotic.)

And so we see mucus (fungal mycelial "rafts") in our excrement.

Bette Explorer

Jeeesh, we really are an obsessed bunch of poop fanatic's!! Ha ha, look at all of the replies is such a short time.

So here goes my poop related question. I always had the hard as rock pellets or tennis balls like constipation my whole life. Since I went gluten free back this past May, that was one of the first things that changed. It was soft, and formed and snake like. But along with that I have had periods of rectal bleeding. I am not talking about the kind you get from constipation and ripping your insides out trying to push one out. And I know it is not hemmorroids- had those before (ouch-right after child birth).

The first time it happened I went to wipe and tissue was full of frank blood, looked down and the toilet was full of blood. I even had blood in underwear later that day (eeeww I know-can it get any grosser?) The first time it happened it lasted 2days, then just went away. Since then it has happened 2 more times, although the blood was never as much as that first time.

So that's my story anybody similiar?

bmorrow Rookie

I guess that I will add my comments to this rather strange discussion. I became completely obsessed with my poop, after trying to find out what was wrong with me, and answering the questions on the forms of the many doctors that I visited. I have gone through various color changes, but mostly diarrhea, several times a day. I also passed large amounts of mucous until I had been on the gluten-free diet for about a year. I still have days of diarreha, and it is a joke at work to stay out of my way after I eat lunch. My co-workers actually send me upstairs to a bathroom that is located far away!

My husband gives me privacy, and since we have two bathrooms he uses the other one, most of the time.

The one thing that I can't seem to improve with-is the gas! I constantly feel the rumbles and have to go to the bathroom just for that purpose. My doctor doesn't take that problem seriously. Does anyone else have this problem?

Claire Collaborator
Well ever since going gluten-free I go once a day, and it happens about 30 mins after my morning coffee, and when the need strikes, it is a very urgent one. Better go or else!

But about 1/10 days, I am constipated for the day and go later in the afternoon.

Usually the constipated days it is a more normalish stool. In the AM, when it is urgent, it tends to be loose and kind of messy.

Something else is that the messy ones require a lot of TP and that in turns irritates the skind down there and it itches all day!!! Horrible! My doc said I dont have hemmorhoids but it sure hurts down there. I have found that using water to clean up helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try using medicated or unmedicated baby wipes - especially good to carry with you. At home try Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion as a wipe rather than water. Very Soothing. Claire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Wandering Hermit--

IMO--the only real 'cure' for hemmorrhoids is to get "regular." I have you tried fiber, changing your diet? I know it can be really difficult to do that...I don't mean to make it sound easy. I had constipation and hemmorrhoids for years...and now after only becoming pretty 'regular' are the hemmorrhoids/irritated skin gone. In the meantime, the good ol' prep h can help. And by the way--my grandma used to put it under her eyes to temporarily shrink wrinkles :)

PS-Talking about hemmorrhoids is really embarrasing :unsure:

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Nope---never had a problem with blood if it wasnt associated with being constipated. I was always told if you have blood in your stool, it will appear brownish----not red. Also, you should immediately consult with your doctor about this.

Hope youre feeling better soon!!!!! :)

Its great that we Celiacs can openly (well, behind a computer screen actually), discuss POOP PROBLEMS!!! After all, celiac disease is a condition affecting our POOP EXPERIENCES, so if WE cant discuss it, then who should? LOL :lol:

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Nope---never had a problem with blood if it wasnt associated with being constipated. I was always told if you have blood in your stool, it will appear brownish----not red. Also, you should immediately consult with your doctor about this.

Hope youre feeling better soon!!!!! :)

Its great that we Celiacs can openly (well, behind a computer screen actually), discuss POOP PROBLEMS!!! After all, celiac disease is a condition affecting our POOP EXPERIENCES, so if WE cant discuss it, then who should? LOL :lol:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Jenvan,

You would be amazed how well it works (Prep H).

When I have really bad bags under my eyes, I put the Preparation H Cooling Gel on my eyes the night before and "Presto"!!!, next morning, they have gone down considerably........ I kid you not! It is a well kept secret in the modelling world - almost all models use that trick......

Karen

ianm Apprentice

Preperation H could double their market share overnight if they advertised that fact.

Fast, soothing relief and look years younger all in one application. :lol:

DragonQueen Explorer

Thanks mandigirl1 for your concern :) . I was beginning to feel invisible here. Anyways, the first time it happened I really freaked, but I was out of town visiting my parents and they live in a real rural area, and I was there most of the summer.

In the almost 4 months I have been gluten free that has happened to me at three various times. Crazy thing, I never bleed like that when I was on gluten and constipated practically my whole life. I just figured it was one more strange symptom of this. I had absolutely no pain or burning or itching like a fissure or hemmorroid would cause. Anyways, it has been more than a month since the last episode. I do see my family care doc. at the end of them month, and will address it with her especially if it happens again.

I was hoping it was one of those crazy symptoms after being glutened or something like that. Guess not. :huh:

Bette

Bette Explorer

Thanks mandigirl1 for your concern :) . I was beginning to feel invisible here. Anyways, the first time it happened I really freaked, but I was out of town visiting my parents and they live in a real rural area, and I was there most of the summer......]

Whoops!! forgot to log my daughter out

Bette

Guest Viola

I bled quite heavy one day bright red. Had it all checked out with the doctor and he said not to worry about it, as it was just a burst blood vessel. And it never happened again. So guess he was right.

Maureen73 Apprentice

Hi all - This thread cracked me up. I truly thought I was the only person analyzing every poop :)

Here's my question -- I saw some comments about mucous and candida (sp?).

I was diagnosed w/ Ulcerative Colitis when I was 8 months preggo (by sigmoidoscopy). But I wasn't getting any better and just found out that I have Celiac. Here's my question -- can someone be misdiagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (having the mucous) if they instead have the Candida thing?

I was just put back on a steriod called Prednisone for the UC but don't want to be taking these kinds of meds w/ bad side effects.

Can anyone tell me more about Candida? Is there a test I can have done? My GI dr's look at me like I am a freak b/c I have UC & celiac disease.

Thanks,

Maureen

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Can anyone tell me more about Candida?  Is there a test I can have done?  My GI dr's look at me like I am a freak b/c I have UC & celiac disease. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are some tests for candida but none that are completely reliable. Candida is a yeast overgrowth in the intestines it is treated w/ antifungals, probiotics etc... If your docs are looking at you like you're a freak for having UC & celiac disease....they will likely think your crazy for sure if you mention candida! This is my experience anyway....mainstream doctors don't believe in it. You can do a google on it...theres tons of info. on Candida out there. I wouldn't worry about it too much though...if we're just talking about mucus...lots of things can cause mucus besides candida.

mustang Newbie
One of the things I love most about this group is that I come away feelilng normal!  Sounds very familar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been actually diagnosed yet....had an attack the other week and family dr. put me on a gluten free diet...feel better, but man is it a hard diet to get used to. My follow up appt. is tomorrow- I think I'm gonna request the blood tests, even though I am better. After reading the messages posted, I feel normal, too. Been having these type of problems for several years...maybe my new doc knows something the others couldn't figure out. Anyway, about being clean....I keep the alcohol free baby wipes in each bathroom at home, and a small carrying case of them at work...very useful on the bad days. They are also cheaper than the toilet paper wipes that are being sold now. I have a question to ask- my symptoms were bloating (all the time), gas (major problem- lived on Gas X- no matter what I ate or drank), IBS symptoms (no matter if it was the same food I ate the week before with no problem)- insides sore (hurt to walk), but the last bout had these symptoms, but also my backside hurt (bad)- the doc said that I didn't have hemorrhoids, but that the mucosa lining was inflamed. Does anybody else have this symptom? <_<

skbird Contributor

Ahhhh, living on Gas-X. I had a yard sale last weekend and was going through old porses, etc, to sell, and kept finding all these gas-x and other anti-gas pills stashed (and in some, Imodium as well!) You don't know when you're sick until when you look back sometimes...

Stephanie

bmorrow Rookie

Yes, I can to relate to having the pills stashed everyplace. I found out the Gas-X contained gluten, after every doctor that I went to telling me to take those things.

Mustang-Has the doctor checked you for colitis? I passed alot of mucous before going on the gluten-free diet, but also had chronic diarreha that didn't go away. I found out that I had microscopic colitis that is much better now.

I still have the gas and bloating problem, sometimes it doesn't matter what I eat. Feel better soon!

Eliza13 Contributor

Does mucous always mean a bigger problem other than celiac? I've had mucous in my stool in the past, but haven't seen any in a while. Anyone know?

mustang Newbie
Yes, I can to relate to having the pills stashed everyplace. I found out the Gas-X contained gluten, after every doctor that I went to telling me to take those things.

Mustang-Has the doctor checked you for colitis? I passed alot of mucous before going on the gluten-free diet, but also had chronic diarreha that didn't go away. I found out that I had microscopic colitis that is much better now.

I still have the gas and bloating problem, sometimes it doesn't matter what I eat. Feel better soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first time I had an attack, I was seeing a general surgeon to prepare for a procedure (not related to digestive issues) but was so sick, swollen, insides sore..mentioned it to him...he said it sounded like colitis (been sick for a couple of days, so he said that it would take a couple of more days to get over). After that, I began having other problems- they tested me for H. Pyloric- positive- month's round of strong antibiotics, better for a short time, then worse. Began vomiting occasionally- seemed to be bile acid...gallbladder ultrasound and function test- nothing wrong there. Put me on a pill for a while...got better. They did an endoscopy and colonoscopy- no ulcer, clear, the biopsies from the colonoscopy show no IBS/IBD. <_< This was several years ago. Take Priolosec daily- heartburn issues if don't take. My new doc is the first person to mention the Gluten Intolerance to me. If I do without any, I am better. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks for the encouragement! :D

mustang Newbie
The first time I had an attack, I was seeing a general surgeon to prepare for a procedure (not related to digestive issues) but was so sick, swollen, insides sore..mentioned it  to him...he said it sounded like colitis (been sick for a couple of days, so he said that it would take a couple of more days to get over).  After that, I began having other problems- they tested me for H. Pyloric- positive- month's round of strong antibiotics, better for a short time, then worse.  Began vomiting occasionally- seemed to be bile acid...gallbladder ultrasound and function test- nothing wrong there.  Put me on a pill for a while...got better.  They did an endoscopy and colonoscopy- no ulcer, clear, the biopsies from the colonoscopy show no IBS/IBD.  <_<  This was several years ago. During this timeframe, and the recent episode, I also had fever blisters and cold sores in my mouth.  The last episode (one where doc mentioned gluten) was the worst- my gums were red and sore in spots throughout my entire mouth.  Does anyone else do this?  Now i take Priolosec daily- heartburn issues if don't take.  My new doc is the first person to mention the Gluten Intolerance to me.  If I do without any, I am better.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.  Thanks for the encouragement! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canadian Deb Newbie

Hi Everyone:

The other day I was on looking at the message board. I don't post very often but I like to read what you guys and gals are up to. The other day I got on a thread (and I can't find it now) about someone new who had glutened herself with Ezekiel bread and thought that the diet wasn't working. Further down the page was a reply from someone who has also found that gluten-free is not working for her and she suggested checking out another diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. The gluten-free diet is also not working right for me as I am still not digesting food (its coming out in my poop!!). So I went to the website (www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info) to check it out. I was interested enough to buy the book and I have already started the diet. I have already tried the blood type and gluten-free with only some improvement. It sounds like alot of you on this thread are still not right in the bm department and so you may want to check this out. There is a whole chapter in the book about celiac and all the research is in the back.

Matilda Enthusiast

Archived