This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Think I Glutened My Kid

Avalon451

Avalon451 Apprentice

Ugh, so worried and frustrated. My DD9 might be our "canary in the coal mine" as far as glutening.

The girls have been gluten free for 6 1/2 weeks. Suddenly last Wednesday the 9 year old started complaining that her stomach hurt, and she was convincing enough that I came and got her at school. She lay around all day, threw up around 5 p.m., again at 8 and 9 before bed, and then slept through the night. The next day she had diarrhea and lay around some more, but started taking clear fluids ok. Friday she went back to school, though she took it easy. She seemed pretty ok by Saturday and Sunday. The idea that it might have been a glutening occurred to me, although I thought that 6 weeks gluten-free was pretty early for her to start reacting so violently. So I thought maybe it was a virus (though none of the rest of us got sick). Also, previous to the positive blood tests for celiac, none of my kids have been frequent barfers. They normally have to be really sick before that happens.

This morning, Monday, she woke up with stomach pain again, and after breakfast it got bad. She has been in bed all day, and finally threw up at 4 p.m. Had some D also earlier in the day.

I swear I have no idea how she could have been glutened; we have a completely gluten-free house and kitchen. The only thing I can think of is that last night, taking potatoes out of the oven, I laid a couple of them momentarily on the old pull-out breadboard (which we no longer use and my husband is going to replace; I just unthinkingly yanked it out this time) but she hardly ate any of her potato, anyway, and certainly none of the skin where it touched.

Could she be showing signs of sensitivities to something else? Why would it show up now?

Man, I better toughen up and get used to this; but right now, seeing her lying pale in bed and not wanting anything other than water just breaks my heart. I feel like such a terrible parent. DH is a wonderful husband and dad, but one thing he can't stand is to see me upset-- it makes him so upset-- so I can't show my worry and fear around him, and of course I don't want to scare the kids, either. I've had to pull the car over twice today to cry before I got home. I guess my biggest fear is that somehow I won't be able to figure out what her sensitivities are, how to stop them, how to keep her feeling well... she'll get sicker and sicker, end up emaciated in the hospital... you know how an obsessive mom's mind runs. I keep telling myself to get a grip.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I know that you don't think that it's a virus, but the norovirus is going around right now (vomiting and diarrhea). If anyone else in your family gets sick, you'll have your answer.

You're a good mom...and very careful. I can't imagine how she could have been glutened.

stanleymonkey Explorer

remember lots of handwashing,just in case it is a bug,

I glutened my 3 yr old, I felt awful, I cried with her when she was in agony

hugs from Vancouver

weluvgators Explorer

I hope she is on the mend quickly. We have been gluten free for almost 6 years now, and we still have our "what was that?" moments. Kids are tough - tough to figure out and tough enough to get through the knocks of childhood. It sounds like you are doing well. It is quite a process to adopt gluten free living, and it sounds like you are making great strides! Don't let the hiccups get you down.

I have had to incorporate some things for myself during this process to help me cope with anxiety, both gluten induced anxiety and what I think is "normal" anxiety from trying to manage gluten free living for a super sensitive family while trying to present it as "no big deal". It can certainly feel overwhelming at times, but living gluten free has been a wonderful process for our family. And finding others here that can relate to the struggles has really helped me out.

And when my kids are miserable, I have found that essential oils and massage seem to help us all cope a bit better. We have also found hot packs and cool, wet cloths to be rather helpful too, depending on the ailment. I hope you are both feeling better soon!

Juliebove Rising Star

Sorry to hear that. My daughter was sick for a week in Dec. and then again last week. For the whole week! Kept taking her to the Dr. and they kept saying it was a virus. I just don't know what to think. Today her Endo. switched her diabetes med to another form just in case it was that. It's frustring. I know.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Maybe it was the school and not your fault? I hope she feels better soon.

kareng Grand Master

6 weeks isn't very long. It could be that part of the healing hurts or the normal gut flora is off and something isn't working smoothly yet. It could have been a virus. The vomiting then gets everything out of whack and can take awhile to get the internal environment back to where it should be. Maybe she got something gluteny at school? I would make sure she realizes that things like Rice Crispie Treats are not all gluten free. The only gluten-free ones are the ones made at home. That sort of thing has fooled kids and adults.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I hate to hear that your daughter is feeling bad. I hope it passes soon.

Check around the school and in her class room to see if anyother kids are coming down with anything similar. If you haven't done anthing different at home maybe she could have gotten CC'd at school. She may not have got CC'd again either. I know for me after I get glutened my system takes a couple of weeks to get back to normal.

I know how bad you feel for her. My two boys and I got CC'd at a restaurant while we were in CT two weeks ago. Then just a few days ago it dawned on me that I got glutenened again. This time I think it was from a brand of taco seasoning that we used to use without any problems, but we haven't used in a long time. DUH! I didn't think I was feeling bad because of it until I ate some leftovers and I bloated up really bad. Then without thinking I gave some of the leftovers to my youngest son Monday in his lunch. OH boy, are we paying for it now! He is obcessing over his coat(used to be his shoes. This behavior went away gluten free) and not in a good way, had a temper tantrum yesterday morning, bad stomach ache last night and moody as all get out today. Ironic thing about it he didn't suffer this bad from the accidental glutenening at the restaurant but my non celiac gluten intolerent son sure did. So right now we are all suffering the after effects of multiple glutenings together. Hubby is glad he is at work! :P

mommida Enthusiast

There is still a lot of healing that needs to take place at 6 months gluten free. Keep a food journal. Investigate what is going on in school for possible cross contamination. If this continues go back to the ped. GI.

We went through a similar situation. Gluten free for almost 5 years. Then she started vomitting like she was being glutened. I made myself CRAZY looking for gluten, cross-contamination, another food allergy? Back to the ped gi for an endoscopy. She was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitus. (now proven to have a connection to Celiac and has a food or airborn "trigger".)

Unfortunately the list of suspects for these symptoms is pretty long (and some things have a known connection of higher prevelance in Celiacs.) Most of the usual suspects can be diagnosed through another scope just to prepare you for the possibility of your next steps. Keep that journal, perhaps you can pin point some other symptoms that you didn't notice before ~ possibly track down another food intolerance. You should have a 6 month check up after the Celiac diagnoses by standard treatment.

Avalon451 Apprentice

Thanks for all your replies. The support here is so great!

This morning she is running a fever, and tummy still hurts, but not in a nauseated way, more like there is a heavy weight on it, she says. Also pain on urination, so we may be looking at a urinary tract infection, maybe from being dehydrated. I have a doctor's appointment for her at 9:45.

I'm not worried about school CC; she goes to a tiny private school, and they bring their own lunches and eat at their desks. Everybody at the school, students, teacher and other parents, are aware of her dietary restrictions, and she's pretty savvy about not sharing treats with anybody else. Also, she originally got sick the day after I used an onion soup mix that didn't have gluten in it, but was manufactured on shared equipment? So maybe that was it. Or, again, maybe it's just a virus.

Sigh.

Archived