mbrookes

Lipton Onion Soup

Rate this topic

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I just noticed that Lipton Onion Soup has barley listed in the ingredients. Has it always been there and I missed it or have they changed the recipe? I have used it in the past with no reaction, but I don't know if the package I had before had barley listed.

This is an old discussion.

The ingredients did not actually change, but Unilever expanded their disclosure level regarding gluten. They previously would disclose any gluten above 1 part per million. The soup mix calculates out to be, if I recall correctly from the discussions a year ago, about 40 parts per BILLION. You can get that much by breathing while walking past a bakery.

Some ingredients are so highly processed that it doesn't matter what plant they originate from--there is no detectable protein (gluten) left. Then consider how small a percentage of the finished product the ingredient is. And then you add water to it, diluting it further.

In my judgement, guided by more than ten years as a diagnosed person on a strict gluten-free diet, Lipton Onion Soup Mix will remain on my list of gluten-free products.

See here for the older post.