This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Old Habits Are Hard To Break

Cortneysmibro

Cortneysmibro Rookie

I am not sure if I have Celiac or just a HORRIBLE gluten intolerance.I am leaning toward celiac since now that I have learn and have been reading up on it I can trace back through my entire life problems that where always mis-diagnosed, ignored, or blown off. But I decided a week ago after trying for YEARS to find out why I am always so sick to figure it out for myself. I have been digging and digging online and have scared the begezzus out of myself with what I have found! I have thought I had cancer, heart problems, narcolepsy and many many more horrible things. I have been to doctors only to be told I was crazy, depressed, I had one blame it all on Mono....... UGH anyhow back to the point of my post. I have three kids. one will be 3 next month, one is 4 and one is 10. I am having not trouble not eating gluten,, well other then those nice surprises when it pops up in food that list NOTHING to make me think it would be. But when I am making dinner and food for my kids, I find myself unconsciously tasting their food! It is one of those things I have always done, to make sure its not too hot, or cold, or there is not too much salt, or its not to spicy... I keep forgetting when I am putting out meals for them that I CAN'T EAT IT. :( I have only been gluten free for a week.. and OH MY! what a difference! If only when I was a kid covered in rashes, with a learning disability despite the fact I was smart and creative, and could never seem to get out of bed in the morning and whining to stay home from school. not when I was a teenager,, but like first grade!!! I was always puffy and swollen, had TONS of allergy tests, had my tonsils and adenoids removed because I was "allergy prone" then of course when I was a teenager the panic attacks started, and the throwing up every day before school.... the list goes on and on. that was normal life for me. It was not until the what I thought was narcolepsy came about that I decided it was time to figure this all out. I never tied it all together though. I thought all these issues I have been having recently where their own thing. I was always told, well you where just a sickly kid. PFFFTTT..... wonder why. OK OK sorry I am ranting. Again off the original topic of the post. But I have to kick that habit. Since I have stopped eating gluten I have noticed even a small amount now makes me sick. :( so that bite I take from the kids pizza, or mac'n'cheese, mean instant headache and racing heart beat, then a day of "bowl problems" to look forward to in the morning. Just from a bite or two. before I cut it out of my diet I could tolerate much more before I got sick. Guess I was just venting. No real question. I just know that everyone on here GETS IT. where my husband, mother, friends,,, just don't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gluten free overseas Apprentice

I totally feel your struggle. I've been off gluten for a year now, and I'm still struggling like, "So... I've been unknowingly POISONING myself for 30 years???? How different my childhood would have been... how sad that I was so sickly..." I don't know how long before I can just let it go.

If I were you, I would really consider having a long extended talk with the family about making your kitchen gluten free. It's like... go out with grandma on Friday for pizza, but at home, we can't have this stuff around... It made life way easier on me when my whole household was gluten free, then I didn't have to worry about absentmindedly poisoning myself with gluten or accidentally cross contaminating my food. It's an adjustment on the family. It's an idea.

squirmingitch Veteran

Venting is allowed here.

Cortney, celiac is genetic so one or more of your kids could end up with it. You might just try & start making some of their foods gluten-free without telling them & if they don't notice the difference then you can do a few more & a few more. Work them into it slowly. And then tell them.

Cortneysmibro Rookie

I have thought about that actually! I think my youngest might have some issues with gluten. He has been slower at hitting his mile stones then my other two. He also has some of the same skin conditions as I do now. Cutting it out from the kids is something I will have to do slowly. They eat SO MUCH of it every day. If I just cut it out cold turkey I would either be broke from having to buy the gluten free versions or go crazy from the tantrums and fits I will have to deal with when there is no more pizza or cereal or mac'n'cheese.... I am going to start looking for substitutes and slowly adding them in. Like rice rather then pasta,LOL I tried that already and was met with two ANGRY kiddies. My middle one will be the hardest. He has always been SOOO picky! He does not like much meat or dairy. He won't touch rice or beans. He hates potatoes unless they are in chip or fry form. His ideal diet is all bread cereal and beagles. He will eat all the fruit and carrots I will let him. I have had to give him nutrition drinks due to his pickyness and not eating for a few years.I am worried that if I cut out gluten for him he will just stop eating all together :( But I am working in that direction. even if it is slow going.

squirmingitch Veteran

Slow going is better than no going. Persistence. One day, one step at a time.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

being so picky that you ONLY eat gluten is... a sign of gluten-intolerance.

yeah. paraodoxically, such an addiction to gluten shows that it's probably a problem.

I have really bad gut flora myself, and low stomach acid. I find myself craving sugar and starches most days. Sugar and starches is what feeds the bad bacteria and lets them grow stronger. If I can manage the sugar withdrawals for a week or so, I stop craving it so much and I really start feeling a LOT better...

alas, it's one of those addictions like my dad's to nicotine... always quitting, never quit...

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It's so hard cooking gluten foods and not tasting them for seasoning, etc. At first I made gluten-free pasta and regular for my son and hubby. Then it was cooking one day and I caught myself grabbing a spaghetti noodle to taste and see if it was done. It's something I've done for years and never paid much attention. That incident made me stop cooking gluten foods.

You can make gluten-free mac and cheese or lasagna, you can make gluten-free cookies and muffins, etc. but a whole foods diet is better for everyone. There's no gluten in meats, eggs, potatoes, etc. Baked goods are best as occasional treats. If you want gluten-free quick treats..

Fritos plain are gluten-free, you can get crackers gluten-free..and spread peanut butter on.

Good eating habits can be established while your kids are young and they'll eat that way for life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived