chrissyinnj

What Do I Look For In A Retest?

Rate this topic

I wanted to get my son retested to see how well we have been doing with avoiding gluten.

He has been gluten-free 6 months. So I was thinking if we redo the AGA IGg we should be able to tell, right?

If we have been successful and he has had no gluten should I expect to see something low around 0,1 or so, or will

it just be in the negative lab range (meaning < 20)?

Has anyone done this?

TIA

I wanted to get my son retested to see how well we have been doing with avoiding gluten.

He has been gluten-free 6 months. So I was thinking if we redo the AGA IGg we should be able to tell, right?

If we have been successful and he has had no gluten should I expect to see something low around 0,1 or so, or will

it just be in the negative lab range (meaning < 20)?

Has anyone done this?

TIA

You are correct...the tests to ask for are the AGA IgA and AGA IgG. There is a newer one called DGP, Demeadiated Gliadin Protein, which I think is more sensitive/accurate but that test was not around when I was diagnosed so I just go with the other 2 when I re-test occasionally. It is unusual if you ever test to 0 and not required but you want the number as low as possible. Some labs just do the < for normal ranges but I personally like to see the actual number. My last re-test came in at 1.2, which was great. However, do not be surprised if your son needs more time to get his numbers into the stellar range...this is entirely normal. It can take awhile to heal and get the diet right.