MindytheOrganist

Home Made gluten-free Beef Stew Recipe?

Rate this topic

Does anyone have a good gluten-free beef stew recipe? I want to make something "special" for St. Patrick's Day, and just don't want to throw a can of Dinty Moore stew into a pot.

Thanks!

This is a crockpot one. Beef stew can be thickened with potato buds (instant mashed potatoes) or even a little corn starch. This one uses Rapid tapioca.

Crockpot Beef Stew

2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed

5 carrots sliced thinly

1 onion, diced

3 ribs of celery, diced

5 potatoes cubed (use the yellow potatoes and you don't need to peel them)

28 oz can tomatoes

1/3 cup quick-cooking or "Rapid" tapioca

4 bay leaves

salt & pepper to taste

Combine & cook 10-12 hours on low or 5-6 on high.

would rather use onion powder what's the equivalent to "1 onion" ? Also I'd throw in some corn & peas. How much instant potatoes should be used instead of the tapioca starch, the same--1/3 cup?

I use whatever veggies I want to add, and the meat

But, I use kitchen Bouquet for flavoring and thicken with corn starch. Salt and other seasonings to taste.

would rather use onion powder what's the equivalent to "1 onion" ? Also I'd throw in some corn & peas. How much instant potatoes should be used instead of the tapioca starch, the same--1/3 cup?

My mom always used the instant potatoes. I would just put some in & see how it goes. When you get a hour away from eating, I would think you could add more. When I add peas, I add them toward the end or they get too mushy. Not sure about the onion powder. Maybe McCormicks website would say? I put corn in my chili.

Forgot, if you put really small pieces of zucchini, with no peel, in a crockpot and cooks for many hours, they melt and become a bit of a thickener, too.