Ginger7

Elevated Fecal Calprotectin

Rate this topic

Hi, I've posted b4 about my 8 year son who has persistent stomach aches and diarrhea with occasional constipation. His labs came back mostly normal, although a few notable things:

Low ferritin

Low vitamin D

CBC normal

ESR 9 (cutoff less than 10)

Celiac panel negative serology, one positive gene DQ2

Fecal calprotectin 222

Way down in growth charts (2% height, 12% weight)

GI said retest fecal calprotectin in 6 weeks. Really? I suggested its time to schedule endoscopy and colonoscopy given low vitamin levels/growth and fecal calprotectin results. 222 is pretty high for a child and possibly a sign of celiac and or IBD like crohns or UC. Given it will take 2 weeks at least to schedule plus GI said he needs to go back on gluten. We've been trying gluten-free for last ten days with some minor improvements although he has lost 6oz since last visit about 3 weeks ago. What do you think out there?

I'm hoping it is "just" celiac. We can manage this but I feel so sad thinking it could be IBD plus or minus celiac. I know that celiac alone is difficult but I feel overwhelmed with the possibility of both.

If you are even considering Celiac testing with a scope, you need to get back on gluten NOW. Like, NOW NOW.

I am not sure how much 10 days would give you in the healing process but it's said a person needs to be on gluten for at LEAST a few months for the MOST accurate testing.

FC just means there is inflammation. I am not sure how much they very so I don't know that the "resets in 6 weeks" is a bad idea per say. Again, most important is that I would get the child back on gluten now. Does your Dr. know you were planing on going gluten-free? most would warn against that if you want a scope.

Oh yes, we discussed the pros/cons of gluten-free B4 scope and he is back on gluten until scope. So, I'm looking forward to more information from scopes, which I hope r soon. I sure hope his colonoscopy prep is not as bad as mine was...

Go-lightly is the most misleading "drug" name EVER!

Good luck with that :( I do not envy you!