kylaroy7

Corn Starch Substitute

Rate this topic

So glad I found this site! I have been gluten free for coming up on 3 years but, my husband and children just began 3 weeks ago so I am doing ALOT more gluten free baking. My question is this - I have come across lots and lots of "flour blends" for baking but, so many of them contain CORN STARCH and I am allergic to corn. What kind of starch/flour can I substitute without changing the outcome of the baked good? Also - I am allergic to nuts so, almond flour won't work. Thanks!!

You can sub tapioca starch, potato starch, or arrowroot starch. Tapioca is probably the most popular.

So glad I found this site! I have been gluten free for coming up on 3 years but, my husband and children just began 3 weeks ago so I am doing ALOT more gluten free baking. My question is this - I have come across lots and lots of "flour blends" for baking but, so many of them contain CORN STARCH and I am allergic to corn. What kind of starch/flour can I substitute without changing the outcome of the baked good? Also - I am allergic to nuts so, almond flour won't work. Thanks!!

Substitute potato starch, not potato flour, for cornstarch in baked goods. You can also use potato starch in sauces.

I THINK tapioca is closest to cornstarch's weight. Is that correct? Aren't you supposed to go by wt?

I THINK tapioca is closest to cornstarch's weight. Is that correct? Aren't you supposed to go by wt?

It has little if anything to do with weight. A substitute is usually best chosen based on performance, in this case baking performance.

• Upvote 1