Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kylaroy7

Corn Starch Substitute

So glad I found this site! I have been gluten free for coming up on 3 years but, my husband and children just began 3 weeks ago so I am doing ALOT more gluten free baking. My question is this - I have come across lots and lots of "flour blends" for baking but, so many of them contain CORN STARCH and I am allergic to corn. What kind of starch/flour can I substitute without changing the outcome of the baked good? Also - I am allergic to nuts so, almond flour won't work. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So glad I found this site! I have been gluten free for coming up on 3 years but, my husband and children just began 3 weeks ago so I am doing ALOT more gluten free baking. My question is this - I have come across lots and lots of "flour blends" for baking but, so many of them contain CORN STARCH and I am allergic to corn. What kind of starch/flour can I substitute without changing the outcome of the baked good? Also - I am allergic to nuts so, almond flour won't work. Thanks!!

Substitute potato starch, not potato flour, for cornstarch in baked goods. You can also use potato starch in sauces.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

I THINK tapioca is closest to cornstarch's weight. Is that correct? Aren't you supposed to go by wt?

Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

I THINK tapioca is closest to cornstarch's weight. Is that correct? Aren't you supposed to go by wt?

It has little if anything to do with weight. A substitute is usually best chosen based on performance, in this case baking performance.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.