This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Loss And Rogaine

Baby P

Baby P Newbie

Has any one tried Rogaine for their hair loss? There are so many mixed reviews on the results and most say you lose more hair at the beginning of the treatment, kinda scary. I have been gluten free for 1 1/2 years and have resolved so many health issues but my hair loss is not one of them. Any input would be great before I make a decision to try Rogaine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

I suggest Biotin and a daily multivitamin daily. :)

A natural source for Biotin would be to eat liver. Most American diets are severely lacking Biotin.

faithforlife Apprentice

I'm currently trying it. My doctor recommended it and she uses it. I do feel baby hairs growing, but my hair is still filling out. I'm also taking biotin and vitamin B. and I bought gluten-free shampoo. Maybe it all just takes time.

Juliebove Rising Star

I have been using Rogaine. I have hair loss that I think is caused by using statins. I think this because I was put on a statin and insulin at the same time. At first I thought the insulin was to blame. My SIL is a nurse. I was talking to her and she said her sister who was also put on insulin around the same time I was, was also losing her hair.

But eventually I noticed other side effects from the statin. Like memory loss. It got very bad. I quit it. Almost immediately, my hair grew back.

Then the Dr. put me on another statin. Hair fell out within days of taking it. All the new hair, gone! My lips were peeling off and my skin was very dry. Also the memory loss and muscle pain!

This time after I stopped the statin, the hair did not start growing back right away. I tried a cream. It made my hair oily. I tried an oil. It didn't make my hair oily but it smelled bad.

Then I tried the Rogaine. I am almost at the end of my 2nd month. I believe it says in the information about it that you won't see new growth until about the 3 month mark. But I am seeing some new growth so I think perhaps it is just natural and maybe not from the Rogaine at all. Hard to tell.

One thing for certain, my hair is growing a lot faster. That's not necessarily good because it already grew pretty fast. I find I have to have it trimmed about every month and a half now or my bangs are in my eyes.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I used BioSil drops and zinc.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was going to try Rogaine a while back but since it, at least at that time, contained wheat protein I put it back on the shelf. For me both gluten and soy cause hair loss.

deinanthe Newbie

Biotin, vitamins and gluten-free haircare products are all good suggestions. I would also suggest you make sure you are well hydrated. Before my celiac was diagnosed and under control, I had terrible problems with dehydration and among my many symptoms, was constantly losing my hair. Even now, if I get dehydrated for any reason (not drinking enough water when I exercise, for example), I will experience hair loss afterwards. Just something else to keep in mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived