Rate this topic

I had some pretty extensive dental work done on Wednesday and have a lot more to take care of. (Scurvy is fun! Okay, not really.) Anyway, Winco is the only local grocery store that carries my favorite greek yogurt so I went to pick up a large container knowing I wouldn't be up to food requiring much chewing for a few days. They have a pretty extensive bulk section which I checked out, I usually can't resist some dried fruit or chocolate.

Anyway, to the point. I found they have gluten free pasta in bulk. I picked up some penne for $1.58 a pound. I was fully prepared for it to either suck or make me sick. It was every bit as good as Tinkyada for a bit less than 1/2 of what I usually pay and I felt fine after eating it. (Last time I had an issue with cc I was sick within about an hour so I'd know pretty quick.) They also had elbows and spaghetti at pretty reasonable prices.

I just thought I'd let anyone in the Utah/Idaho area know that this is out there and at least for me doesn't seem to have any cc issues. I see a summer of pasta salads in my future.

I am in California and I shop at Winco all the time. Have not seen the gluten-free pasta, but have not really looked. I miss pasta that taste good. Is this in the pasta isle or over the counter? I will then check it out. Thanks.

It was in the bulk section, maybe there it's over the counter. Here in Utah the bulk section is all self serve. Just fill up your own bags and mark them with the appropriate bin number. Be careful to make sure you are getting the gluten free stuff since they also sell regular pasta the same way. The varieties I remember seeing were elbows, white rice elbows (ewww I hate white rice pasta) penne and spaghetti. I know there was a fifth kind but my memory and I aren't friends today.

The penne was just past done after 11 minutes, I'd say it probably is ready after about 9 which is a bit faster than what I've experienced with Tinkyada so watch your cook times closely. (Even overcooked it held up well as microwaved leftovers today, I'm quite impressed and still feeling fine.)

Not everything gluten free is reasonably priced though. They had small nutri-grain style bars (about half the size) for 99 cents. I passed on those, who pays a buck for half a breakfast bar? :o

Our Winco in Everett WA has boxed gluten-free pasta. Not sure about the bulk but we don't buy much bulk food. Mainly only wrapped things.