This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Cooker And Pressure Cooker?

Mrs. M.

Mrs. M. Apprentice

Hi-

I am new to the gluten free diet. I am eating a lot of rice (and enjoying it) and my friends are suggesting that I get a rice cooker to make it easier to prepare. Meanwhile, my husband wants to get a pressure cooker (unrelated to my gluten issue). I would like to have as few appliances as possible. Can I use the pressure cooker for rice, or would I be better off having both appliances? I know everyone is different, but I'm looking for input for people who are experienced in gluten-free cooking. We like to cook but don't want to go overboard buying a bunch of expensive new equipment that we don't need.

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

My personal opinion (for what it's worth, having never owned a pressure cooker) is that a slow cooker (crockpot) would be a more useful gluten free appliance than a fast (pressure) cooker. It doesn't require watching and your dinner cooks all day while you are doing other things. I don't know what the fascination is with rice cookers since cooking rice is so easy. It seems like a wasted appliance to me. :o Sure, I know you can steam stuff on top.......

ciamarie Rookie

I have a stove-top pressure cooker that I mainly use for cooking beans. It also works great for popping popcorn, (not under pressure) with another lid from a large pot that happens to fit it. I like it for beans because cooking them on the stove, even after soaking for 6-8 hours just takes forever. In a pressure cooker it's like 30 minutes. I've also used it for a couple of other things like chicken, for which it works well.

I've never cooked rice in it, possibly because I don't cook large enough quantities of rice at one time, and it's easy enough to do on the stove. Plus there are cautions about blocking the stem vent area with the foam that forms when cooking rice, which would result in too much pressure building up and it could be dangerous, etc. I actually cook rice more often than I cook beans, but I'd vote for the pressure cooker. If I had the counter and cupboard space I'd probably also get a crock pot.

sharilee Rookie

I recently invested in a rice cooker and love it. It is so easy to clean and I find it easier to make the right amount of rice. I have a pressure cooker but never use it. I prefer a crock pot to a pressure cooker. I have never tried cooking rice in a pressure cooker so I have no idea how well it would work.

Csal4 Newbie

I have both totalling three pressure cookers and one rice cooker. I love them. I pressure can food all the time especially sp. sauce and chicken. But my rice cooker I use at least twice a week if not more. I also steam broccoli and potatoes in the rice cooker it is a fantastic tool in the kitchen to make quick work out of homemade gluten-free Gnocci and Perogi filling. As far as the slow cooker, I only use that about once a month. I must not be very good at it cause all my meats turn out dry and stringy not moist and tender and my rice is overcooked. I love rice as well. I buy it in bulk at the Hong Kong Market and normally buy 50lbs at a time. Short Grain rice, black rice, brown rice, wild rice. You name it I have it. I promise once you start to really use your rice cooker you will love it as much as I love mine.

Celiac Diagnosis confirmed via DNA after 18 yr old daughter diagnosised with Celiac. 2011

Discovered recieved DNA from Both parents. Mother knew she had problems with wheat but father has now gone gluten free at the age of 70 and his severe heartburn is gone.

Food Allergy Test Positive for Gluten 2011

Vitamin Profile severe deficiency of Vit D, Vit B's.

Self Diagnosised Celiac due to mothers reaction to wheat. Trial Gluten Free 2005 and stayed Gluten Free.

Hypothyroidism 2005

Hormone Deficiency 2005

Lupus 98'

Sjogrens 98'

RA 98'

Misdiagnosed IBS 92'

Adalaide Mentor

If you can cook rice, I wouldn't waste money on a rice cooker. On the other hand, I can't cook rice. Sure some people find it easy but I have wasted a lot of rice trying and trying to cook it. I finally gave up and just got a rice cooker. I'm much happier with my dinners now that I have rice that doesn't suck.

mushroom Proficient

I'm much happier with my dinners now that I have rice that doesn't suck.

:lol: :lol: :lol::

Okay, okay, you can have your rice cooker! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MJ-S Contributor

Alton Brown says you shouldn't own any kitchen gadget that doesn't have more than one use, and I agree with that. Helps declutter the kitchen. To that effect, I have a pressure cooker (love it) but not a rice cooker.

By the way, you can cook rice in the pressure cooker - I've never done it but I have indian friends who do it all the time, so you can definitely get great rice out of the pressure cooker, along with beans, soups, meats, etc.

I make rice in a regular pot and it comes out fine. There's no special trick to it. Two parts water to one part rice, once it boils (stir it while it's coming to a boil), simmer (covered) for exactly 20 minutes (don't disturb it by stirring while it's simmering). Remove from heat, stir, and let it sit for a another 2-5 minutes before serving.

BabsV Enthusiast

I've spent many years living in SE Asia...so I have a rice cooker/steamer and would not give it up for anything. I like being able to just dump the rice and water in, hit the button and ignore it. I know how long the cycles take so it is really easy to work it into meal prep. I actually broke my old one (I'd had it for 20+ years) and had to replace it and I have to say the new one is really easy to clean -- rice NEVER sticks to it and wash-up is simple. They come in many different sizes so don't have to take up a lot of space.

I also have a crock pot and again, wouldn't trade it for a pressure cooker but I've never liked dealing with a pressure cooker. A personal quirk.

I use both rice cooker and slow cooker several times a week. If you need to check out some great gluten-free slow cooker recipes go here: Open Original Shared Link

hexon Rookie

I try to sell my friends on rice cookers. I just wish I discovered it during college when I lived in the dorms. I was always terrible at burning the rice on the bottom of pots and not being able to get it out. Now I just push a button and let it do it's thing and I don't have to give it a second glance. I occasionally toss in broccoli or beans mid-way through the cycle. I've also wrapped fish in aluminum foil and steamed it along with the rice. The possibilities are endless! Haha. I also like crock-pots for chili or pork tenderloins. I've never used a pressure cooker.

Archived