Caroline1972

Eaten Gluten By Accident - Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have woken up with stomach cramps (it's almost 3am in the uk) the only thing I can think I have eaten is gravy which doesn't contain any gluten ingredients but does say it is made on a line which also handles wheat. I have been gluten-free for 4 years and haven't had any experience like this so I am wondering if it is gluten or something else.

I just wondered if anyone else had done the same and have had these symptoms? I could only have had a tiny bit of gluten. I will say, I'm not usually a drama queen but the pain is keeping me awake and is very uncomfortable. It would be good to know how long this is likely to last.

Thanks,

Caroline

It's possible that you were glutened--a study on this subject stated that when equipment is used for both gluten and gluten-free products, there is a 70% chance of contamination. If the manufacturer only produces the product in a facility that also produces gluten-containing products, then there is a 30% chance of contamination. So....you may have been glutened. Personally, I occasionally buy products where it has been manufactured in a facility that also produces gluten-containing products, but I NEVER buy products that have been produced on equipment that also is used for gluten-containing products.

As for symptoms, yes, gastro symptoms can be expected. I also get a headache, stuffy nose, joint pain, dizziness, and flu-like symptoms. Sometimes I also get some Dermatitis Herpetiformis on my face and neck. Hopefully, you'll start feeling better within 48 hours (that's how long most of the symptoms last for me).

Thanks for the reply, as it was the cramps lasted for 4 hours and then eased, thankfully! Today it's all very swollen but okay, after 4 years and no mistakes I am very wary of that happening again. I haven't really utilised these forums but will do from now on. Thanks againa nd good health to all!!!

Thanks for the reply, as it was the cramps lasted for 4 hours and then eased, thankfully! Today it's all very swollen but okay, after 4 years and no mistakes I am very wary of that happening again. I haven't really utilised these forums but will do from now on. Thanks againa nd good health to all!!!

When I got glutened drinking a lot of water to get everything out of the system asap was recommended to me. Hope it helps, and hope your symptoms disappear quickly