This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Symptoms After First Time Eating Gluten Free Breads?

josh052980

josh052980 Enthusiast

I've been gluten free for a year now and for the last 2 months been feeling perfectly fine. I just this past weekend managed to find Udi's gluten free breads at my local store, so I bought some of the gluten free hamburger buns to use with my Five Guys Burger the other night. It was AMAZING. Sat with me perfectly, no issues.

This was also the first time since I'd went gluten free that I've had ANY sort of bread.

The next night, I made some Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix, and the next morning was feeling some gluten symptoms, they were light, but there. Has anyone else had this happen? I think I'm just feeling like I do cause my system isn't used to having breads down there anymore...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BabsV Enthusiast

The next night, I made some Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix, and the next morning was feeling some gluten symptoms, they were light, but there. Has anyone else had this happen? I think I'm just feeling like I do cause my system isn't used to having breads down there anymore...

I have tried 3 different mixes (brownies, cornbread and pizza crust) from BRM and each time I've felt cruddy the next day although it wasn't a full glutening type of feeling. The instance were all spaced apart (several days or even weeks) and the BRM product was the only new thing I tried. I now avoid the brand.

mamaw Community Regular

hope you feel better soon. I have heard from several when they eat bread they feel ill...For me, I react to Bob's Red Mill so I don't use it at all...

There are many packaged products gluten-free that people react to so maybe it was the pkged mix....

josh052980 Enthusiast

I had a feeling that'd be the case... The Udi's stuff didn't phase me one little bit and it tastes just like I remember the real deal being. Guess I'll stick with that and avoid BRM stuff at all costs.

kwylee Apprentice

Has anyone else had this happen? I think I'm just feeling like I do cause my system isn't used to having breads down there anymore...

I found that when I first reintroduced rice and corn into my diet, I started feeling less stellar overall, no stomach issues but just dragging a bit the next day. Now I don't eat much of either at one time, and I don't eat both on the same day and I'm just fine. Most days I just stick with my potatoes that have always been my mainstay carb, along with fruits, veggies and some beans on occasion. I've read this about Bob's Red Mill products from many here and I think I'll just avoid that. But Udi's muffins and pizza crust are my favorite, especially if you like thin type. THERE YOU GO!!! MAKING ME HUNGRY!!!!!!!

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

Can you tolerate gluten-free oats?

Bob's Red Mill stuff, all of it, is CC'd with gluten-free oats. Which sucks for that percentage of celiacs who react to the oats themselves.

josh052980 Enthusiast

Can you tolerate gluten-free oats?

Bob's Red Mill stuff, all of it, is CC'd with gluten-free oats. Which sucks for that percentage of celiacs who react to the oats themselves.

I just read about this last night. BRM gluten free oats mess me up pretty bad, so I guess I have my answer. I was nearly at a migraine last night. It's weird though, the symptoms now take longer to show up in me, I guess cause I've been gluten free so long that I'm starting to actually heal?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

This is interesting (and perplexing) but what about all this isn't, right?! :lol:

I can honestly report that BRM flours--like rice and sorghum-- do not bother me and I am very sensitive to trace gluten CC, HOWEVER the BRM all-purpose flour with the Garfava or garbanzo bean flours in them? Make me nauseous. For what that's worth. :lol:

Also, delayed symptoms often make it VERY difficult to determine what causes symptoms in me, but I always know when it's GLUTEN. Those are very definite symptoms in me that mean only one thing.

If there was gluten CC in BRM flours, I'd be sick every day from the bread we make ourselves.

Could be the oats, however, as was suggested.!!

Oddly, I have more of a wonky stomach after eating Udi's than anything made by BRM. Not sure what THAT means. :lol:

But I have a package of their rolls right here I am going to try and let you know. :)

Just goes to show that our stomachs --and systems-- are all different, I guess. If only we humans came with user manuals.

josh052980 Enthusiast

Oddly, I have more of a wonky stomach after eating Udi's than anything made by BRM. Not sure what THAT means. :lol:

I just tried Udi's for the first time this weekend too... And I ate some of it yesterday. Perhaps between BRM and Udi's it was a perfect storm of gluteny crappiness?

IrishHeart Veteran

I just tried Udi's for the first time this weekend too... And I ate some of it yesterday. Perhaps between BRM and Udi's it was a perfect storm of gluteny crappiness?

No, you may have missed my point, hon. I do not think it is gluten CC. I think it is something else in those products bothering you. IMHO

josh052980 Enthusiast

No, you may have missed my point, hon. I do not think it is gluten CC. I think it is something else in those products bothering you. IMHO

That's what I'm meaning; I don't think this is gluten, while the symptoms are similar, they're not the same as being glutened. It feels a LOT like after I got nailed by the oats though. What I need to do to be sure of things is get over this and feel normal again, then give Udi's another shot, then I'll be sure.

Lisa Mentor

That's what I'm meaning; I don't think this is gluten, while the symptoms are similar, they're not the same as being glutened. It feels a LOT like after I got nailed by the oats though. What I need to do to be sure of things is get over this and feel normal again, then give Udi's another shot, then I'll be sure.

Good thought Josh. Let us know....it might help someone. :)

kareng Grand Master

I've been gluten free for a year now and for the last 2 months been feeling perfectly fine. I just this past weekend managed to find Udi's gluten free breads at my local store, so I bought some of the gluten free hamburger buns to use with my Five Guys Burger the other night. It was AMAZING. Sat with me perfectly, no issues.

This was also the first time since I'd went gluten free that I've had ANY sort of bread.

I know many have good luck with Five Guys but isn't that the most likely gluten cc? I have seen the bun guy wrap the bunless burgers. I have been to one that grills the buns if people ask- right with the burgers.

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood you.

I read your sentence as this--it said "between BRM and UDI's, it was the perfect storm for "gluteny crappiness" ---and thought that was what you meant--as in Gluten CC.

Okay. Got it!

;)

kareng Grand Master

Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood you.

I read your sentence as this--it said "between BRM and UDI's, it was the perfect storm for "gluteny crappiness" ---and thought that was what you meant--as in Gluten CC.

Okay. Got it!

;)

Several of his comments sounded like that to me, too.

Lisa Mentor

Several of his comments sounded like that to me, too.

Perhaps Josh worded his post poorly, but he clarified it here :

"That's what I'm meaning; I don't think this is gluten, while the symptoms are similar, they're not the same as being glutened. It feels a LOT like after I got nailed by the oats though. What I need to do to be sure of things is get over this and feel normal again, then give Udi's another shot, then I'll be sure."

josh052980 Enthusiast

Yup, sorry kids, just bad wording on my part. CC or not, I kinda think of it in my head as "gluteny crappiness" simply because my gluten issue is the root cause of the problem. I was thinking through the remnants of a migraine too, so I was a little off yesterday. Good news is I'm almost 100% again, so I know FOR SURE it wasn't gluten. If it was I'd be sick for another 3 days or so, that's how my body seems to roll.

I'll do the Udi's experiment in a few days and see what goes down. If I was a betting man though, I'd say it was oat CC from BRM that got me, but there's only one way to know for sure :)

josh052980 Enthusiast

I think I've found the culprit; Chocolate Chex & Cinnamon Chex. Yesterday, I skipped having either of these for breakfast as I had some left over gluten free buckwheat pancakes, and I felt AMAZING the latter part of the day once I got the remaining stuff outta my system if you know what I mean. This morning I had some Chocolate Chex, and I'm right back to feeling crappy. They say they're gluten free, but I've had an issue with artificial and "natural" flavors before; which are in the ingredient list for these. Mystery solved! Back to regular corn Chex for this kid!

Lisa Mentor

This morning I had some Chocolate Chex, and I'm right back to feeling crappy. They say they're gluten free, but I've had an issue with artificial and "natural" flavors before; which are in the ingredient list for these. Mystery solved! Back to regular corn Chex for this kid!

Josh have you thought about the sugar? Chocolate Chex would make me gag in the morning. How a bout too much sugar. :huh:

And diary, could that be an issue? Ahhhh..maybe yes!

IrishHeart Veteran

This morning I had some Chocolate Chex, and I'm right back to feeling crappy. They say they're gluten free, but I've had an issue with artificial and "natural" flavors before; which are in the ingredient list for these. Mystery solved! Back to regular corn Chex for this kid!

But, Josh, by using the phrase "they say they're gluten free but...." you are implying that artificial and "natural flavors" contain gluten because you "feel crappy". Do you see how this is misleading/confusing to a reader? What does crappy mean? Nausea? bowel issues? headache?

Once more, I am going to suggest to you that it could be the cinnamon, the chocolate, the dairy, or any number of things. What did you "wet" those chex with? Milk? Cow, Almond, coconut, or soy?

Many of our symptoms are delayed. If you had pancakes, you probably used butter? maple syrup?

Too much sugar or carbs? Too many variables make it very difficult to pinpoint a culprit.

I had the Honey Nut chex once and thought they were very sweet and they made me nauseous after. But my first thought was not "hidden gluten". It was "bummer"-- I like the taste :lol: .

Your "issue" with artificial and natural flavors is not a gluten issue, just to be clear, right? All those cereals have BHT, etc. in them as preservatives and some folks have trouble with those as well.

Regards, IH

Jestgar Rising Star

I think I've found the culprit; Chocolate Chex & Cinnamon Chex.

I found a great deal on Chocolate Chex, so I ate them constantly for a couple weeks. Also for a couple weeks I had the weirdest, continuous headache I've ever had. Ran out of Chex, ran out of headaches...

It had nothing to do with gluten, but clearly there's something in the product that my body doesn't care for.

I tend to stick with whole, natural foods, and I'm always happier when I do. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I tend to stick with whole, natural foods, and I'm always happier when I do. :)

Me, too, and when I indulge in packaged goodies, I almost always feel--as Josh would say--crappy <_<

josh052980 Enthusiast

I found a great deal on Chocolate Chex, so I ate them constantly for a couple weeks. Also for a couple weeks I had the weirdest, continuous headache I've ever had.

This is my issue right now, to the word. I've had a headache for two weeks straight, except that one day where I skipped the Chex, and voila, headache is gone. I ate them yesterday and now I'm near a migraine again. I skipped them this morning though, so hopefully once this headache clears I'll start getting totally better again. No more flavored Chex for me! I'm sticking with the straight up ones from here on out, this is #$%@ing ridiculous.

IrishHeart Veteran

This is my issue right now, to the word. I've had a headache for two weeks straight, except that one day where I skipped the Chex, and voila, headache is gone. I ate them yesterday and now I'm near a migraine again. I skipped them this morning though, so hopefully once this headache clears I'll start getting totally better again. No more flavored Chex for me! I'm sticking with the straight up ones from here on out, this is #$%@ing ridiculous.

methinks it's the chocolate/sugar, J! Feel better soon (I HATE migraines :angry: )

Ninja Contributor

I agree with the other posters on sugar: too much could give anyone a migraine/nausea! Thing is, our bodies aren't really supposed to have the white sugars in those kinds of cereals. Ideally, we'd be getting them from natural sources — e.g.: fruits and carbohydrates without the added/refined sugars! Feel better. :)

HTH,

~Laura

Archived