This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lots Of Questions.. Please Help New Here

sarah-martinez03

sarah-martinez03 Newbie

Hi I'm Sarah, new to this group and Ciliac. The doctor found it by doing an upper GI. can I still drink DR. Pepper? and what are some good easy meals I can make? good web sites? any advise would be apprieciated!! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sharilee Rookie

I was just diagnosed three weeks ago myself and I am still learning but I can tell you Dr. Pepper (my all time favorite soft drink) is gluten free.

Lisa Mentor

Hi I'm Sarah, new to this group and Ciliac. The doctor found it by doing an upper GI. can I still drink DR. Pepper? and what are some good easy meals I can make? good web sites? any advise would be apprieciated!! :rolleyes:

Here is a list of frequently asked questions:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-44/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

This is the best place for information. Go through the forums and you will see that there is lots and lots of great stuff. Talk a walk around and welcome! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Celiacsister1 Newbie

Hi Sarah I'm knew to this website too. I can tell you that I was diagnosed last September 2011 and I have not had a problem really with the food. Any cookbook by Betty Hagman is absolutely a fantastic. Try her chicken spoon bread if you like dressing, you won't believe! Good Luck to you

JustNana Apprentice

Celiac can be diagnosed with an upper GI? Do you happen to know how exactly? This would be much easier than being heavily drugged for a biopsy.

JustNana Apprentice

Oops I hit reply too quick.

I was so excited about a possible new diagnosis method. WELCOME SARAH!

I have been coming here just 9or 10 days and have learned soooo much. The regulars here are well informed, current and very generous with their time. This is the best celiac site on the web. I sort if fumbled on my own for a month or more and when I finally came to the forum, it was like coming home.

How long have you been gluten-free? Noticed any changes yet?

Lisa Mentor

Celiac can be diagnosed with an upper GI? Do you happen to know how exactly? This would be much easier than being heavily drugged for a biopsy.

I think you may have misunderstood. Celiac can be diagnosed through several methods:

Endoscopy Exam/Biopsy

Serologic Antibody Testing

Positive Dietary Results

Possessive Biopsy Results of DH

Gene testing is non conclusive, but may be supportive if other methods of diagnosis are confirmed.

Testing negative to many of these methods does not indicate that you are not gluten intolerant/sensitive. There is no accepted method of testing for GS at this time. But a positive dietary response is a great indicator.

And back here to add...that there is nothing to the endoscopy exam. Nothing to fear. Piece of cake. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

I find that blogs are a good way to get good recipes - there are lots of good gluten free blogs about. Good luck!

JustNana Apprentice

Lisa,

Maybe I didn't express myself very well. Sarah said she was diagnosed by an upper GI so I thought something new was being done. I am aware of the standard methods of diagnosis. I had a highly positive antigen test, followed by a diagnosis of Dermatitis Herpetiformis and Hashimoto's. The clincher of course is the response to the diet which I have experienced on a couple of areas.

I have had many endoscopies and colonoscopies over the years to track colon polyps and diverticulitis with the latter and esophagus damage from reflux with the former. Athough I dislike the colon prep, both procedures are, as you say, a piece of cake. But endoscopy with biopsies is naturally more invasive than an upper GI and, more important for many people, the upper GI is much more affordable and requires no anesthetic. I would still be curious about Sarah's diagnosis.

You seem very knowlwgable Lisa and always go out of your way to answer questions for people. That's why I love this board so much. Thanks. :-)

Lisa Mentor

Lisa,

Maybe I didn't express myself very well. Sarah said she was diagnosed by an upper GI so I thought something new was being done. I am aware of the standard methods of diagnosis. I had a highly positive antigen test, followed by a diagnosis of Dermatitis Herpetiformis and Hashimoto's. The clincher of course is the response to the diet which I have experienced on a couple of areas.

I have had many endoscopies and colonoscopies over the years to track colon polyps and diverticulitis with the latter and esophagus damage from reflux with the former. Athough I dislike the colon prep, both procedures are, as you say, a piece of cake. But endoscopy with biopsies is naturally more invasive than an upper GI and, more important for many people, the upper GI is much more affordable and requires no anesthetic. I would still be curious about Sarah's diagnosis.

You seem very knowlwgable Lisa and always go out of your way to answer questions for people. That's why I love this board so much. Thanks. :-)

My apology. I should have directed my reply to Sarah. She most likely miss phrased an upper GI test for an endoscopy, perhaps.

Archived