itchy

Is Canned Fruit With Juice A Risk?

Rate this topic

My apologies if this topic has been covered. I scanned the recent threads and didn't see it discussed.

After dealing with persistent Dermatitis Herpetiformis that has lasted three years despite a very strict diet, I became suspicious of one element of my diet, economy 'canned fruit with juice', which I was eating quite a bit of. Coincidentally or not, when I eliminated the 'canned fruit with juice' my DH began a rapid improvement to the extent it has almost disappeared. Nothing else in my diet has changed so far as I know.

My hypothesis is that 'juice' actually comes from offshore industrial sources and could quite easily be contaminated with poorly refined wheat-origin industrial sugars, that harbour gluten. This would be mislabelling, but wouldn't surprise me.

This is quite a stretch, I know. But it is the only theory that seems to fit. Or it could be a coincidence.

Comments?

Yeah, that's a pretty big stretch. :rolleyes:

I too, have DH.

It took me a year and half to heal.

When I was researching the way to limit iodine, I read about avoiding canned goods.

I wasn't sure if it was because of the salt used in canned goods or something about the canning process itself, but I noticed my DH reacted to canned goods so I dropped all of them.

Now I only use tomato paste that is canned but only if I can't find it in a tube.

I'll see if I can google up where I read about this.

But it got scarier reading about the chemicals they coat cans with in the first place so I dropped all cans.

Have you limited iodine?

If you haven't you might try thyca.com.

As a matter of fact that might be where I read about canned goods and the need to avoid them on low iodine diet.

But it got scarier reading about the chemicals they coat cans with in the first place so I dropped all cans.

Have you limited iodine?

If you haven't you might try thyca.com.

As a matter of fact that might be where I read about canned goods and the need to avoid them on low iodine diet.

I thought about the iodine, but I don't have DH and I didn't want to get it wrong. Thank you for posting that. :)