bpat

Gluten Free Ciders

Rate this topic

I know that Strongbow cider is gluten free. Can anyone tell me if Sir Perry pear cider and Blackthorn cider are gluten free as well?

I can't comment on the specific brands mentioned, but I am not aware of any cider that is not gluten-free.

I called Hornsbys about a year ago. They said that Crisp Apple is definitely gluten-free. The Amber has some barley at an early stage of processing. It is likely destroyed and shows as no gluten if tested but they tell Celiacs not to drink that flavor. Other than that, I think all the ones I have seen are gluten-free.

I didn't have issues with the Hornsby's Amber and I went through about 3 cases of it one weekend ;) . Woodchuck is my favorite and their new 802 variety is awesome! And as a plus a lot of bars have woodchuck on tap, at least in TN.

I vote for Woodchuck as well. I'm not gluten free, my daughter is. I did do a trial diet for 6 months just to see if I noticed any changes (I did not). During that time, I switched from the occasional beer to the occasional Woodchuck. After my trial was over, I stuck with the hard cider. I just prefer it in general to beer.

I like Woodchuck as well. My favorites are the Amber, 802 and the Winter variety. In NC, I found a FoodLion that had a variety box during this past fall! It was great to try the different ciders. I'm not a fan of the Spring flavor out right now though.

Blackthorn is gluten-free. That's my favorite cider! So are Magner's, Woodpecker, and Strongbow.

I haven't seen a commercial cider other than Hornsby's with gluten, but the concern is barley malt. There are a lot of homebrew recipes floating around with barley malt or malt syrup added to the cider to feed the yeast and bump up the alcohol content. Because of that, I am in the habit of checking labels on unfamiliar cider and skipping unfamiliar microbrew ciders on tap.