This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Organizing My Pantry

SFO

SFO Newbie

I was diagnosed on Wednesday. Met with the nutritionist yesterday and have shopped today to stock my pantry with all sorts of new, necessary items. I'm excited about feeling better, but I'm overwhelmed with how to organize everything. I don't have a lot of storage space and I do still have gluten items in my pantry due to the fact that my husband and son are not Gluten-free.

Is it best for me to put the Gluten-free stuff in a separate cupboard? But there's lots of stuff that's not specifically Gluten-free but is - like Chex, Peanut Butter, etc.

I did get myself a new toaster and some new kitchen utencils. I know I'll have to keep them all separately too.

Any tips on how you've blended the Gluten-free with the gluten stuff in the pantry would be helpful.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

You will need to keep your utensils separate from gluten utensils or color code them so no one uses your spatula(example)for turning fried gluten fried gluten things.

You should have a shelf or separate cupboard for your gluten-free foods..Peanut butter, jelly & so on needs to be separate or a no double dipping rule...so if there is an open jar now & has been used by all, then you need a new one! check out your baking sheets as well.

Check your pots & pans for scratches as this can harbor gluten. Same for bread machine, bowls made of plastic or any teflon type items.

Pet foods can also cause CC issues for some.some people are very sensitive others not so much. You will figure this out once you get started...

Establish kitchen rules from the start so there is no misunderstanding within the family down the road...your family needs to understand how important being strictly gluten-free is with no CC...You want to get healthy....also you should have your kids tested yearly....

Our house uses tons of paper towels, this way we have no crumbs laying on the counters to worry about...I should have bought stock in paper towels!

Foremost become a label reader.. Many mainstream products are gluten-free.. I suggest when new people are just starting is to go with things that are naturally gluten-free ie: naked meats, fish, veggies,fruit. No rubs, seasonings, or marinades ( think Naked foods) . Season at home with spices you know are gluten-free. Kraft is one that clearly labels...

After you know this then more on to another .. By learning in steps you will not become over whelmed...there are many wonderful gluten-free foods avaiable today but several years ago not so much. There still are gluten-free products that are not wonderful so before you spend dollars on something that may not be real tasty ask & we can direct you to one that is worth the buck.gluten-free food costs about two to three times more than wheat...

Ifyouhave time to bake that is the cheapest way to go but not everyone has the time...

I also will suggest to pick up some boxedmixes so you don't feel deprived while learning...

Carry a gluten-free snack bag in your car, purse, office so when you feel hungry you will have something to snack on...Many times we all get busy & miss lunch then are starving & no place to grab a bite to eat while out.

The convience is gone with the gluten-free lifestyle....it is much easier than years ago..My snack bag contains fruit & nuts packs, protein bars, individual bags of chips, pretzels, jerky. &crackers, peanut butter in small pkgs (Justin's)snickers, water, juice& fresh fruit I add in the morning...

Check out your local eateries to see if they have a gluten-free menu....traveling!!! do you homework before you leave home. This way you can enjoy your vacation without worrying about where you can find something to eat...& wasting vacation time...

Ihope this helps a bit. Please feel free to ask questions...

blessings

mamaw

grey3098 Newbie

I was diagnosed on Wednesday. Met with the nutritionist yesterday and have shopped today to stock my pantry with all sorts of new, necessary items. I'm excited about feeling better, but I'm overwhelmed with how to organize everything. I don't have a lot of storage space and I do still have gluten items in my pantry due to the fact that my husband and son are not Gluten-free.

Is it best for me to put the Gluten-free stuff in a separate cupboard? But there's lots of stuff that's not specifically Gluten-free but is - like Chex, Peanut Butter, etc.

I did get myself a new toaster and some new kitchen utencils. I know I'll have to keep them all separately too.

Any tips on how you've blended the Gluten-free with the gluten stuff in the pantry would be helpful.

Thanks!

I am new to this myself and am having the same problems.

--My father has no limitations except tuna.

--My son is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and doesn't eat meat.

--I am finding I am allergic to wheat (maybe all gluten, not sure yet), dairy, eggs, or mushrooms (and have moderate to severe reactions to multiple other foods), and cannot eat any meat except the rare serving of albacore tuna.

I finally gave myself two of the thinner cupboards--one for all the seasonings and my drinking glasses and things I use most often such as potato starch, and the other for the tiny food processor and things I use less often such as oats and canned applesauce.

On the counter I have 3 separate tubs for our three foods, and this at least keeps them segregated in the sense that they are not touching but I am not satisfied that it saves air contamination.

But everything else is common: utensils, plates, Tupperware, pots and pans, cooking tools, etc are common. I am using a lot of paper plates to deal with this so far but this does not seem like an adequate solution.

One thing I am happy about is that all of the items that get opened but not used all at once (such as potato starch and oats) fit nicely into one gallon freezer bags. They feel doubly safe that way as I keep them in the original bag and that bag in the freezer bag.

I also wash the outsides of food bags with soap or clorox of lysol wipes before I open them so I know that I won't be contaminating them by touching the outside of the bag.

But , like you, I am very limited on space, very limited on dishes Ican divide up, and REALLY limited on refrigerator options--in there EVERYTHING seems to end up touching everything no matter how many times I set clear borders for my things, my son's things, and my father's things.

I am thinking of getting a different colour napkins for myself so I know that those have not been touched by others when they reach in the drawer to get a napkin.

And may I add a question to your question--do we have to worry about contamination in the dishwasher? Can you trust that dishes are made safe after running them through a load with the extra wash cycle and the hot dry cycle?

sharilee Rookie

I was diagnosed myself three weeks ago. My husband is not gluten free. We did a big cleaning and organizing. The top two shelves in the pantry are for all my gluten free stuff and the lower shelves house gluten foods (that way nothing can fall with gluten onto my stuff). In the fridge, the top shelf is mine for the same reasons. We have two cream cheese tubs, two butter tubs, etc. My gluten free all have a sticker on them. It is overwhelming at first and don't try to organize everything in one day. I have been gradually making my kitchen gluten safe.

SFO Newbie

Thanks for all your help. Mamaw, you are a wealth of information! I ended up doing the Pantry like Sharilee - with my stuff up high and the un-safe items lower down. I'm sure over the next few weeks we'll start phasing out more and more of the non-gluten-free stuff, just because I do the shopping and I feel better without it around. But there will always be some stuff, I'm sure.

I hadn't thought about two tubs for the butter, cream cheese etc. I kicked myself today when i made my son's lunch because I double dipped a knife into the cream cheese after spreading it on crackers for him. Ugh! Then I wrote on the container that it was now not Gluten-free and noted that I'll have to wait until I go back to the store again before I can have any cream cheese!

It really is going to take a little while. It's such a steep learning curve.

Thanks again.

mamaw Community Regular

SFO

You are welcome. I've been gluten-free for a long time & there are four of us gluten-free...I'm the founder of a gluten-free ministry plusI test market for gluten-free bakers/vendors.. I study & learn about new products daily & keep very up to date with doctors...I consult for many...

I wish you the best.....

Going gluten-free is like loosing a loved one so don't be surprised if you go through the stages of death of a loved one.. It's all natural to react in that manner...

Be postive& take your time understanding & learning & NEVER CHEAT no matter what!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

And may I add a question to your question--do we have to worry about contamination in the dishwasher? Can you trust that dishes are made safe after running them through a load with the extra wash cycle and the hot dry cycle?

I think it depends on your dishwasher? Ours is a bit older and I was noticing "stuff" on some of the dishes when I went to put them away. We checked to see if there's a filter that could be cleaned or changed and didn't find one.

I just don't feel comfortable with the fact I've found food residue and that others in our household eat gluteny foods like canned pasta, and aren't good about rinsing their dishes. Other household members aren't as careful about the possibilty of cc as I am either. Your household may be different? I now have set aside a couple of plates, bowls, glasses, and utensils that I keep separate. I hand wash them and put them away right after using.

I don't know if others would find this excessive..but it gives me peace of mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived