This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Md Or East Coast?

KaitiUSA

kevsmom Contributor
I am in Hershey, and I can tell you offhand I know two people with Celiac, one has DH and she used to work with me, she found out right after I did. The other woman I was introduced to in May, she had just recently found out she had celiac but she suffered almost 10 years without a diagnosis. She and I are attending a gluten-free cooking class at the Giant food store tomorrow night. The chef's are making pizza and pies. The store is offering it free and it will be a good chance to meet some more local celiacs. I too would love to get to know more people who can understand exactly what I am going through. A normal person just doesn't always understand why I cannot eat regular cookies...ever. :)

I think Giant in MD and Giant in PA are two different chains. Can you find out if other locations offer this class? I would love to attend one, but Hershey is pretty far for me to come from Westminster, MD.

Thanks,

Cindy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kevsmom Contributor

Robbin,

Welcome! It's too bad that you don't have a physical support group near you, but this site can be an emotional and educational support group to you. I know I have learned so much from everyone here. It makes it a little easier to know that other people are experiencing the same things that you are.

It seems that "somebody" always has an answer to a problem or question that you have. I hope you spend a lot of time with us.

Cindy

Guest Robbin
I think Giant in MD and Giant in PA are two different chains. Can you find out if other locations offer this class? I would love to attend one, but Hershey is pretty far for me to come from Westminster, MD.

Thanks,

Cindy

Hi Cindy, I used to live in PA, not far from Hershey and am now in N. Va. I think Giant in PA is the same as Martins in VA. Maybe Martins is in your area and has the class. Ours hasn't, but they are adding a huge selection of healthy/organic foods and quite a few gluten-free foods, Yipeeee! Good luck, hope it helps!

Cindy--Is your doggie a golden? I have a red golden that looks just like yours!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

The Giant I attended class at last night (which was an amazing class and had a huge turnout) is brand new and has a cooking school in it. I am not sure how many more stores actually have a cooking school. This giant has alot of new things, it is in Camp Hill PA. They are the same chain of stores though. I am still waiting on the Wegmans to start being built.

Giant has been adding natural food aisles to their stores and that is a big help :)

kevsmom Contributor

Berneses and Robbin,

That really isn't a picture of my dog (You caught me). I am a terrible photographer, but I found this picture and thought that it looks a lot like her. She might be part golden and part collie (she had the collie beard), but she has a thicker undercoat like a chow. I really don't know what kind she is because I rescued her. Someone left her tied her outside on a choker chain with no food, water or shelter - and MOVED :angry::angry: . When I went to get her, there was nothing in the yard, and no curtains on the window, so you knew nobody lived there. A neighbor had been feeding her for about a week until he called Animal Rescue.

Those meanies must have kept her locked up in the basement :( . My family room is downstairs, and the only way I could get her to come down with us was to put a leash on her and make her. She still won't go down if she is alone. Occasionally, she will come down if people are down there.

(To explain to anyone who is seeing this for the first time, I changed my Avitar. I had a really cute dog picture on it, but Berneses and Robbin"caught me". The dog wasn't really mine. I didn't want anyone thinking I was trying to be dishonest.)

blueeyedmanda,

I am so glad that you enjoyed the class. I will check closer locations to me to see if they offer it!

Cindy

pinkpei77 Contributor
Both your dogs are AWESOME! Pinkpei77- Where in Vermont? I'm from New Hampshire but go up to VT a lot. I LOVE it there! Beverly

i live in burlington. its awesome! i love it here!!

what part do you come up to?

Guest BERNESES

Usually Stowe or Burlington. You're right- Burlington is awesome!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
JenAnderson Rookie

Hi I'm in Ft Meade, MD. We've been stationed here for a year and I'm in heaven. We're originally from Texas, which is great. We spent 5 years in south Oklahoma, where I was diagnosed with Celiac after my son was born. There are so many opportunities here for food and research, it's astounding! I thought that my life was reduced to shopping at really expensive health food stores in the middle of nowhere and choking down cardboard bread. Here though, I found the Whole Foods Market, Gluten Free bread mixes at the local grocery store, and Bob's Mill. I don't want to go back "down South" now. I have two children who are currently undiagnosed. Shelby is 7 and she has recently been diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. Brandon is 3 and he's cute and a Holy terror. My husband is in the Army and even though he is of Scottish descent, he had never heard of this until mine came out. I am Irish and there are a few family members who have had symptoms through the years, but none have been disgnosed. I guess that's me in a nutshell.

• 2 months later...
Rice Cakes Newbie

Recently diagnosed, and in Baltimore.

...Which is indistinguishable from Washington D.C., if you aren't from this part of the world.

Just ate at P.F. Chang's for the first time Monday, and from what I've read here this is a chain and they're known for their gluten-free menu. I was surprised, they had a floor manager walking around who had most of the gluten/non-gluten information memorized, and our waitress came back to verify that one of our party really did want the glutenous soup she'd ordered.

Ricecakes

kevsmom Contributor
Recently diagnosed, and in Baltimore.

Ricecakes

Welcome Rice Cakes. I'm glad that you are finding things locally that fit into your diet. It makes life a whole lot easier. :)

Cindy

Rice Cakes Newbie

Thanks. I have also had an easier time making food for myself under the new restrictions, since I'm so used to changing my diet as necessary. No losing hope at the grocery store for me. And no thinking about cheating either. ;)

Oh and speaking of Westminster, I go kayaking at Piney Run occasionally, and detoured to Clarksville on the way back last time to try eating at the Great Sage restaurant. They label gluten-free (as well as soy-, and a few other things).

JenAnderson Rookie
Kaiti,

I live in Gambrills, MD and am a coordinator for the Anne Arundel County Celiac Support Group that meets in Annapolis. What part of MD do you live in?

Pat

Gambrills is just around the corner from me!! YAY I know of someone out here! I've seen ads for the support group but haven't joined yet. Is there anything you can tell me about it?

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...
oceangirl Collaborator
Gambrills is just around the corner from me!! YAY I know of someone out here! I've seen ads for the support group but haven't joined yet. Is there anything you can tell me about it?

Jennifer

Pinkpei77/colleen?

I'm from Maine but was born in Vermont. (Bellows Falls) Lived across border in Walpole, NH for 10 years before we moved to Maine. My three favorite places are Maine, Vermont and Quebec! But Burlington and Montreal are right up there, too!

lisa

jenyanderson Newbie
Pinkpei77/colleen?

I'm from Maine but was born in Vermont. (Bellows Falls) Lived across border in Walpole, NH for 10 years before we moved to Maine. My three favorite places are Maine, Vermont and Quebec! But Burlington and Montreal are right up there, too!

lisa

Gambrills is a town/ community in Maryland...Sorry

• 2 weeks later...
M-3 Gal Rookie

I live in Fairfax, VA and would love to find some people to chat with. My poor husband is also going gluten free to support me.

Lisa

snapple Apprentice

I'm in Odenton, which is right in the middle of Annapolis, Baltimore, and DC. I haven't gone to the support group yet; everytime they meet I have had something scheduled that can't be changed. I am glad that I found this forum, I don't feel so alone anymore :)

I live in Fairfax, VA and would love to find some people to chat with. My poor husband is also going gluten free to support me.

Lisa

Where in Fairfax? My parents live in McLean.

Kate

JenAnderson Rookie
I'm in Odenton, which is right in the middle of Annapolis, Baltimore, and DC. I haven't gone to the support group yet; everytime they meet I have had something scheduled that can't be changed. I am glad that I found this forum, I don't feel so alone anymore :)

Where in Fairfax? My parents live in McLean.

Kate

Odenton is right outside the base from me. I'm on Ft. Meade! Nice to know that there is someone that is so close that is Celiac, too.

snapple Apprentice
Odenton is right outside the base from me. I'm on Ft. Meade! Nice to know that there is someone that is so close that is Celiac, too.

Wow! We are right down the street from each other. Have you tried David's Natural Market in Gambrills? They have a whole slew of gluten-free products. Pachanga's grill on 170 make the best margaritas in the area, unfortunately I can only eat their green salad. Oh well, that's the price you pay for great margaritas!

Maybe we could meet for coffee sometime.

Kate

• 6 months later...
gbrad71 Newbie
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and have found all the information very helpful. I've been gluten-free since April 2003. It's nice to that there are other people like me out there!

I'm 24 years old and I recently moved from Philadelphia to Fairfax, VA (not too far from Kaiti). I really enjoy reading what you all have to say. Take care!

I live in Falls Church, VA, and my girlfriend lives in Fredericksburg, VA. I am either at Falls Church or Fredericksburg on the weekends.

gbrad71

gbrad71 Newbie
I living in the northeast coast of North Carolina ( I think most everyone here knows that).

I live in Falls Church, VA now, but I originally (born and raised) lived in Eli Whitney, NC. Close to Graham and Carborro/Chapel Hill. I go back home ocassionally to see my parents with my girlfriend.

gbrad71

gbrad71 Newbie

Lisa

I live in Falls Church, VA, my girlfriend lives in Fredericksburg, VA. I am the one with Celiac, she has IBS and is considering going gluten free. We need freinds in the area like you to, look forward to talking to you!

gbrad71

Bill in MD Rookie

Hi, I live in Laurel/Scaggsville (right in between Baltimore and DC along I-95). DX'ed last June and gluten-free since. I moved here from Ky in 1982 to work at NSA on Ft Meade, but have been doing other things for a while. And no, I didn't listen to anybody's phone calls while I worked there B)

There's also a David's Natural Market in Columbia (Wilde Lake Village Center, near the mall). And a brand new My Organic Market in Jessup (Rte 1 and MD 175) which has an assortment of gluten-free products. My personal favorite is Roots Market in Clarksville, right next to the Great Sage Restaurant.

I've heard about the Annapolis support group, but have never been to a meeting. May try for the one this month to check it out. I've been doing pretty well on my own, I think, but I don't know a single other person with celiac disease. It would be nice to talk with people who *really* understand once in a while.

-- Bill

Lauren M Explorer
There's also a David's Natural Market in Columbia (Wilde Lake Village Center, near the mall). And a brand new My Organic Market in Jessup (Rte 1 and MD 175) which has an assortment of gluten-free products. My personal favorite is Roots Market in Clarksville, right next to the Great Sage Restaurant.

I'm pretty much in LOVE with the Great Sage! They have so much gluten-free stuff to eat, make all the accomodations. It is my new favorite place to eat!

- Lauren

jesse Newbie

thought id say something,

i live in VA on the eastern shore for part of the summer. i do work down there in a town called wachapreague which is just off route 13. nice place, quiet....

if anyone see's this and is passing through, lmk. there are no restaurants down there now that are gluten free i'm sure, but if i get the chance, im gonna have a gluten free menu down there in a few years.

peace,

jesse

Sunshinez06 Rookie

I'm 22, and not recently diagnosed at all! Been diagnosed for about 20 years now.

I live in Southern Pennsylvania, but find myself often in South Jersey where I grew up (in Washington Township). I'm always looking for new friends, not to mention people to meet and talk to who understand the plight of eating gluten free :)

Samantha

Archived