Rate this topic

Hi All!

I've just cleaned out the house...no more gluten here! I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where) that some cheeses are started with something that can have gluten in it?! Which cheeses are gluten-free? Which cheeses are not? How do I know?

1000 thanks!

Hi All!

I've just cleaned out the house...no more gluten here! I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where) that some cheeses are started with something that can have gluten in it?! Which cheeses are gluten-free? Which cheeses are not? How do I know?

1000 thanks!

Some blue cheeses can be started with a gluten starter, and some specialty cheeses could be washed with a beer glaze. Most other cheeses should be OK..but check your cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream for additives. Some brands are adding fillers/thickeners that shouldn't be in a good quality product.

More label reading I'm afraid.... :blink:

Congratulations on getting rid of the old..and having a nice safe, supply of goodies.

It has been determined that even if a gluten grain is used as a starter for the mold, blue cheese is gluten-free. Various reputable sources list cheese as gluten-free, without qualification. One of them is the Canadian Celiac Association.

Sour cream is off-topic, but yes, some occasionally have a non-dairy ingredient (light versions).

I havent seen normal cheese with gluten in it, but I ran into a Stout Irish cheese at Earth Fare the other day that probably contained gluten since it was made with beer. Sometimes cheese sauces, including fondu cheese, can have added beer for flavor.

Awesome! Thank you all! The girls had their endoscopies yesterday... My girlfriends are coming over tonight for a debrief and WINE and CHEESE and of course rice crackers! And I love blue cheese, glad to hear it's going to have a space in our gluten-free house! Momma needs some relaxing for a night!!!