GFreeMO

What Does It Mean When Someone Says I Reacted?

Rate this topic

I was just wondering what people mean when they say that they have reacted to a certain non-gluten thing like rice, soy, corn, fructose etc. Does it mean that you have had a gluten TYPE reaction like intestinal stuff or what?

I was just wondering what people mean when they say that they have reacted to a certain non-gluten thing like rice, soy, corn, fructose etc. Does it mean that you have had a gluten TYPE reaction like intestinal stuff or what?

Good question! :D Or what is a "reaction" to a certain product, gluten free or otherwise.

It means that person either has an allergy or a sensitivity to that item, or class of items. Often people here with celiac have degraded villi, which then creates leaky gut syndrome. Then undigested proteins, carbs, fats etc. go into the blood stream where the body then often reacts to it like it was a foreign invader. This then sets up sensitivities. It also can be hard on the liver and downwind the kidneys and skin.

For myself for example, I react to a great variety of foods due to salicylate and amine sensitivity in addition to severe gluten sensitivity. Whereas many others simply react to a specific food (or two or three)...

Often the reaction people will get is individual for the person. However in certain cases it will often cause types of reactions. This again is like what happens to me with the salicylate/amine sensitivity which often creates migraines, insomnia, leg twitching and jerking, red flaky ears and nethers, and hives.

There are so many different kinds of reactions that one could have, that it's hard to list them all. The same person might react to the same food differently when eaten at a different time, too.

For me, I get hyper from some things and can't sleep. I also get migraines, indigestion, vomiting, an off balace feeling, anxiety, nausea, bloating, itchy skin, C or D.

Sometimes it's some of those reactions combined, sometimes only one symptom.

If I have the reaction a couple of times, I drop that food/ingredient from my diet.

I agree with Bubba's Mom. "reaction" is a pretty meaningless term without any context to place it in. Even our glutened reactions are all different, let alone our reactions to other foods, chemicals, perfumes, whatever it is we are reacting to. Reactions can be through the whole range Bubba's Mom stated, and also include hives, depression, fainting, atrial fibrillation, ataxia, ADHD, temper tantrums in children, to name just a few. If it were a perfect world, posters would specify what their reaction was :rolleyes: