This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spring Break Kids Camp: Do I Laugh Or Cry?!

mamaupupup

mamaupupup Contributor

So, I signed the girls up for our Natural History Museum spring break camp months ago. Here's a description:

Yucky Madness: Let's go hunting for yuckies at the Museum and study the slippery, the slimy, and the messy. Explore the yuckies found in the human body and in animals. Experiment in making yucky mayhem and participate in the Great Loogie Contest. Hunt for scat, slimy snails, and wiggly worms. Participate in a snail race. Build an earthworm habitat and a composting bin. Watch as earthworms eat our trash and change it to earthly treasure!

I called and emailed the education coordinator to confirm she knows both girls are Celiac and my expectations for how to keep them safe. Here's the quite nice, accomodating and shocking email I received back:

"I have received your phone call. I will share with you what is planned for the camp so we can make adjustments. Please let me know what we can substitute.

Monday: There is a tasting activity which we will need to make an adjustment. We will have flour, oatmeal, cocoa powder(poop making); gelatin, applesauce, raisin bran, shredded wheat (vomit-making). Will latex gloves suffice to protect them from touching starchy foods? I can substitute with gluten free materials (flour) for your girls.

Tuesday: Exploring the (all five ) senses. With respect to tasting (salt (pretzels, which we will NOT give to the girls), lemons, semi-sweet and dark chocolate) we can incorporate other campers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I guess I'm not sure what you are shocked about? The description says pretty clearly, to me, that they will be doing age appropriate " yucky" stuff. I immediately thought they would make some sorts of edible worms or mud, etc.

She sounds like she wants to accomadate the kids. She's probably worked with kids with allergies before and just wants the OK for everything she gives the kids. She could just say " This is what the class is" and not tried to work with you. It will definitely make it harder for the instructors.

If the class isn't appropriate for your kids, don't send them.

Roda Rising Star

I'm a little confused if you are shocked that they want to help accomodate you or shocked at what the class is.

Sounds like a great class and my boys would love every minute. From the response you got it sounds like the instructor is willing to make the experience work for your girls. Since she is willing, contact her to make alternatives for the kids. If it was me and I had the willingness the instructor seems to show, I would send my boys.

mamaupupup Contributor

:) Thanks! Yes, I'm VERY thankful she is so accommodating. Shocked it had anything to do with food! Laughing because all the gluten items really could make someone with Celiac sick, vomit, poop! It's ironic!

I offered to pay for all supplies to be gluten free for all kids. We have a call in the morning to see what we'll do!

Darn210 Enthusiast

I hope that you can get it all worked out. It sounds like a great class for the kids.

Kudos to the director for being so accomodating.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Once we found out about Celiac we noticed everything has food involved. LOL

Minette Contributor

It sounds like a fun week, but it is amazing how they managed to have something involving food (or poop) on EVERY day except Friday. Of all those things, the worms on Friday would worry me the least!

This sentence especially made me laugh:

Can the girls handle Harry Potter jelly beans? Snails? Borax and (Elmers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaupupup Contributor

:) I am so pleased with the educators there! They are switching everything out for one group to be totally gluten free! What a treat!

And, yes, I love the worm day!!!

Archived