zeeclass6

Was I Glutened?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for 2.5 months and dairy-free for 1 month. I have not done a food challenge yet since going gluten-free and DF, so I don't know what "being glutened" might feel like. As far as I know, I don't have Celiac, but I definitely am gluten-sensitive.

Wondering whether I experienced my first time "being glutened." Last night, we had Ethopian food. They said on their menu that they can make gluten-free Injera bread, made with teff. I had some. They told me there was no gluten at all in my meal. Felt fine afterwards, all the way until bedtime. Then this morning, woke up feeling really dizzy and had a bad headache. I also seem to be farting more than usual, but I don't feel bloated.

The sauce that the chicken was in had some clarified butter (I'm also dairy-free at the moment, but thought that clarified butter would be OK). I didn't eat much of the sauce, only a very small amount, but the chicken was cooked in it.

What do you think?

My other idea is: I have had a really rough few days, being very upset because I found out that I will need hip surgery because my hip cartilage is torn. So I haven't been sleeping enough or sleeping well. Maybe it's just all "everything catching up with me."

This morning after forcing myself to eat some breakfast, I took two Ibuprofen and laid down on the sofa. I slept for 2 hours. Still didn't feel so great. After a while, I drank some Gatorade. That really helped. But now the headache feels like it's coming back.

I have been gluten-free for 2.5 months and dairy-free for 1 month. I have not done a food challenge yet since going gluten-free and DF, so I don't know what "being glutened" might feel like. As far as I know, I don't have Celiac, but I definitely am gluten-sensitive.

Wondering whether I experienced my first time "being glutened." Last night, we had Ethopian food. They said on their menu that they can make gluten-free Injera bread, made with teff. I had some. They told me there was no gluten at all in my meal. Felt fine afterwards, all the way until bedtime. Then this morning, woke up feeling really dizzy and had a bad headache. I also seem to be farting more than usual, but I don't feel bloated.

The sauce that the chicken was in had some clarified butter (I'm also dairy-free at the moment, but thought that clarified butter would be OK). I didn't eat much of the sauce, only a very small amount, but the chicken was cooked in it.

What do you think?

My other idea is: I have had a really rough few days, being very upset because I found out that I will need hip surgery because my hip cartilage is torn. So I haven't been sleeping enough or sleeping well. Maybe it's just all "everything catching up with me."

This morning after forcing myself to eat some breakfast, I took two Ibuprofen and laid down on the sofa. I slept for 2 hours. Still didn't feel so great. After a while, I drank some Gatorade. That really helped. But now the headache feels like it's coming back.

It's very possible that you were glutened. There are many ways for cc to happen in restaurant kitchen, even if there was no wheat flour used in your food. It could come from a CC pan, grill, serving utensil, etc.

Drink a lot of water to help flush your system.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for the reply.

I still have a headache today but am not dizzy. It almost feels like a bad sinus headache, but my sinuses are not stuffed up. My face just really hurts and my ears are ringing more loudly than usual. I have also been dealing with a bit of brain fog, finding it hard to think straight.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I was glutened.

I don't even like Ethopian food that much. I went there to please my husband.

I will not do that again. If he wants to eat something questionable, he can go there by himself.

Hope you feel better quickly.

I've wondered about trying clarified butter since it should be casein-free. It's the phrase "in theory" that gets in the way.

Looks like symptom-wise you're pretty sure it's a glutening. Seems too often I'm in a situation where i'd like to test something but really really don't want to make myself sick while one test outcome is precisely that. If I test often enough it almost guarantees that sometimes I'll be sicker.

If you end up testing clarified butter away from Ethiopian places, let us know how it goes.

Again, hope you're feeling better quickly.