MoMof2Boyz

What To Expect At Gi Appointment

Rate this topic

Hi, my ds tested negative for celiac but has a low total serum IgA which I know means can make the test falsely negative. We are getting an appointment with a GI but would like to know what we can expect at the appointment.

thanks!

I just had my first GI appt on Thursday. The doc ordered an endoscopy as well as more labs to check for vitamin levels. I can't speak to what they will do for a child. Good luck getting answers.

If youor son has not already had them, I would expect the GI to order the IgG versions of the blood tests. As the pp says, he may also schedule an endoscopy, depending on the age of your son. When you get the blood test results back you willl know more.

If youor son has not already had them, I would expect the GI to order the IgG versions of the blood tests. As the pp says, he may also schedule an endoscopy, depending on the age of your son. When you get the blood test results back you willl know more.

thanks, I asked for the test results but all that was sent to me was the iron results. I'm going to call and get them though. Is there a particular age for endoscopy? he's almost 14...I will definitely mention testing vitamin levels if it isn't brought up.

thanks, I asked for the test results but all that was sent to me was the iron results. I'm going to call and get them though. Is there a particular age for endoscopy? he's almost 14...I will definitely mention testing vitamin levels if it isn't brought up.

As a 14-year old he would be find for an endoscopy. It is only in very young children (i.e., under fives) that they are less reliable.

I've just been through the diagnosis thing. As others have said, the GI will likely order an endoscopy if he suspects Celiac. (Or, if you're like me, your GI will doubt "full-blown Celiac" and think you have Crohns or IBS, and order a colonoscopy on top of your endoscopy. THAT was a fun day. [/sarcasm])

I can only speak for myself, but my procedures were a few weeks from my initial consolation with my GI. The prep for the colonoscopy was awful, but the procedures were a cake walk. Again, if your GI suspects Celiac, they'll take biopsies from the endoscopy to look for damage to the intestine. That took a few weeks for me. Once my biopsies came back positive for celiac disease, he ordered a bone density scan and blood tests to look at my vitamin levls.

...and that was basically it. I got some cool pictures of my insides as a souvenir. :P

J