Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MoMof2Boyz

What To Expect At Gi Appointment

Hi, my ds tested negative for celiac but has a low total serum IgA which I know means can make the test falsely negative. We are getting an appointment with a GI but would like to know what we can expect at the appointment.

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If youor son has not already had them, I would expect the GI to order the IgG versions of the blood tests. As the pp says, he may also schedule an endoscopy, depending on the age of your son. When you get the blood test results back you willl know more.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

If youor son has not already had them, I would expect the GI to order the IgG versions of the blood tests. As the pp says, he may also schedule an endoscopy, depending on the age of your son. When you get the blood test results back you willl know more.

thanks, I asked for the test results but all that was sent to me was the iron results. I'm going to call and get them though. Is there a particular age for endoscopy? he's almost 14...I will definitely mention testing vitamin levels if it isn't brought up.

thanks, I asked for the test results but all that was sent to me was the iron results. I'm going to call and get them though. Is there a particular age for endoscopy? he's almost 14...I will definitely mention testing vitamin levels if it isn't brought up.

As a 14-year old he would be find for an endoscopy. It is only in very young children (i.e., under fives) that they are less reliable.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

I've just been through the diagnosis thing. As others have said, the GI will likely order an endoscopy if he suspects Celiac. (Or, if you're like me, your GI will doubt "full-blown Celiac" and think you have Crohns or IBS, and order a colonoscopy on top of your endoscopy. THAT was a fun day. [/sarcasm])

I can only speak for myself, but my procedures were a few weeks from my initial consolation with my GI. The prep for the colonoscopy was awful, but the procedures were a cake walk. Again, if your GI suspects Celiac, they'll take biopsies from the endoscopy to look for damage to the intestine. That took a few weeks for me. Once my biopsies came back positive for celiac disease, he ordered a bone density scan and blood tests to look at my vitamin levls.

...and that was basically it. I got some cool pictures of my insides as a souvenir. :P

J

Jacki

Gluten Free since March 2012

Mom: "When you do this, you have to go whole hog... ...and you can HAVE the whole hog, just not the gravy."

Thanks, Mom.