basilicious

First Time Being A Dinner Guest Post-Diagnosis

Rate this topic

I have just gone strictly gluten-free and am eating dinner at my friend's house tonight. She has been so incredibly accommodating and has checked labels, run things through the dishwasher and seems very aware of cross-contamination issues; however, as we all know, the best-intentioned friends may still inadvertently gluten us.

I have not tried gluten digestive enzymes and realize they are not in any way a shortcut for us. That said, since I am scared that I may get some gluten in my system tonight, could taking the gluten digestive enzymes help reduce any possible fallout?

Also, any recommendations on the appropriate dosage? The bottle says 1 capsule, which is 100 mg of "BioCore DPP IV" - Protease Aspergillus oryzae) and Protease AM (from Aspergillus melleus).

Thank you!

I have just gone strictly gluten-free and am eating dinner at my friend's house tonight. She has been so incredibly accommodating and has checked labels, run things through the dishwasher and seems very aware of cross-contamination issues; however, as we all know, the best-intentioned friends may still inadvertently gluten us.

I have not tried gluten digestive enzymes and realize they are not in any way a shortcut for us. That said, since I am scared that I may get some gluten in my system tonight, could taking the gluten digestive enzymes help reduce any possible fallout?

Also, any recommendations on the appropriate dosage? The bottle says 1 capsule, which is 100 mg of "BioCore DPP IV" - Protease Aspergillus oryzae) and Protease AM (from Aspergillus melleus).

Thank you!

How sweet of your friend to try to make you a safe meal. :D

There are differing views on the gluten digestive enzymes. From what I've read the digestive enzymes help break down gliadin faster and so it goes through your system faster.

They are not recommended as an alternative to gluten-free eating, but taking them when you think there's a *possibility* of getting a bit of cc, like when eating away from home, they certainly can't hurt.

My hubby bought me a bottle of the Gluten Defense brand when I was first DXed. That brand says to take 2 with a meal.

Did you do OK at the dinner?

Here's another way of looking at the enzymes. You've taken all reasonable precautions. If the enzymes settle your mind and will help you relax and enjoy the evening, it's worth taking whether or not they will detoxify a trace of gluten. (Which is not clear to me from looking at studies.)

The dinner went really well. I brought the enzymes with me, which in itself helped ease my mind on some level. However, I didn't end up taking them, because my friends went to pretty remarkable lengths to keep things safe for me. I felt so grateful that I could relax and have a nice time! However, since this is probably a fairly unusual experience, I may opt to use them in the future, since at least it sounds like they couldn't hurt. I need to do more research on the forum regarding what to eat/do when glutened, because maybe I'll make a practice of eating some of those foods or doing whatever is recommended if only as a precautionary follow-up step.

Thanks for your responses. I wish I had thought to post my question sooner!