NewNicole

Bowel Changes Even On The Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed last August and have been gluten-free since. I have been very good about making sure I haven't eaten anything that has gluten. My symptoms have improved slightly, but not completely and my biggest concern is the recent bowel changes. I have never had diarrhea, not even prior to diagnosis, but now for the last month I have had a problem. I have been eating more rice to try to help this but that's not even helping. Is this celiac or something all together different? I know they will blame it on celiac so I want some input before going back to the dr. Thanks for the help.

Nicole

Have you checked into other food allerigies/interolances? Some people on gluten free can't handle rice...what about corn? many fruits are covered in a substance containing corn for peticides...what about lactos?

I haven't taken corn out, but I have eaten it alot within the last 7 months so for the change in bowel habits now seem like it wouldn't make since. And nothing new has been added. In fact I have removed a lot, no milk, eggs, soy.

As you heal, new symptoms can show that you did not know or feel before because of all the complications of the gluten. Its not uncommon for this to effect people later.

Oh no....Ughh. So how would I know if there could be something different going on instead of celiac.

I recommend keeping a log of what you eat, along with noting any symptoms you feel. Many food intolerances have delayed reactions, so you need a way of looking back and connecting certain foods or additives to symptoms.

A lot of us find we develope additional food intolerances which could cause D. However, if it's severe and debilitating, get in to see your Dr.

It's not so bad that I can't deal with it...of course as many people with this disease we can tolerate a lot more than the average person. I will keep an eye out for new food intolerance. I didn't realize that this could happen. That's why I came to this board. There's so much to learn to to understand about this disease.

A food log with symptoms (no matter what time they appear!) is an excellent idea. I have caffeine and msg intolerances and found out this way. If that doesn't do anything, then you can consider an allergy test from the doctor for other foods.

Also, think about how this is helping you heal. If you are just dealing with it and keep eating things that are bothering you, then the damage from your gluten cannot heal because well, if at all, because there are other problems complicating the healing process.

Something I just thought of is that I eat a lot of salads and beans. I probably have too much fiber in my diet. That could be my problem. Because I haven't figured out how to eat on this diet very well I have pretty much eaten salads all day. I figured that was good and couldn't be a problem. But now I'm thinking that is probably not such a good plan. I must admit I miss the days of mindless eating. lol.