This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Almost A Year On Diet And No Results

eazyeazy

T.H. Community Regular

So sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time!

For your current diet, do you always eat the same brand of food, or source from the same farm? If you do, how well do you do if you try another brand or farm source for your apples/chickens/eggs and so on?

For the other foods that you have tried, have you tried multiple sources/brands, or only one?

I ask because something I've run across is reactions to common additions TO the foods that I was eating. I was down to a <10 foods diet, as well, and it took forever for me to figure some of it out (still not there all the way). A coating that is on most citrus. An anti-bacterial wash commonly used on types of meat. A pesticide (organic or conventional) used on the produce.

If you can eat multiple brands of all your safe foods, that's often a good clue that it's the food itself which is good for you. Or in other words, it's not an additive or contamination that you are avoiding by eating that food.

If some brands of your safe food make you sick, then it can be a good clue that there is something being added to food or coming into contact with it that is making you sick. Now, you'd need to check this with your 'bad' foods too, because some additives or cc risks are only associated with certain foods, yeah?

If you can find sources of veggies/fruit, maybe at a farmer's market, where you can know what the produce does and doesn't come into contact with, it might at least help you narrow down the problem so you can know for certain if it is the produce itself that is the issue or if it's something else contacting it.

Meats, grains, and beans are often more of a challenge, but can still be done.

One thing that has also helped me with my health detective moments has been to start a garden, without soil additions, and try to grow a food I wanted to add to the diet. If, grown in my own yard with native soil and no additions, I can eat it and be safe, then great. If it makes me sick, then it is something inherent in that item that makes me sick, like the food itself, high fructose levels, salicylates, whatever.

Another issue you may be experiencing right now is vitamin deficiencies, as I think a few have already said. Aside from feeling crummy and general overall health, this can also affect how you react to foods. As an example, if you don't get enough molybdenum (or aren't absorbing it), you don't make something called molybdenum cofactor, which is needed to create certain enzymes. One of these enzymes (sulfite oxidase) is used to change sulfites to sulfates in the body, and is also part of the pathway to get sulfur eventually changed to sulfate. In this case, sulfited food plus grapes, onions, garlic, cabbages, many meats (and tons of other foods) and even some bottled waters would make you react.

Good luck to you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eazyeazy Rookie

beachbirdie:

Do you mean the blood test for antibodies of celiac disease? If so I had them and they were negative (two times)

I also did the Igm, IgG for allergies or something they were also good. I only had one biopsy this was an experience I don't really want to repeat again...

cavernio: that sounds reasonable, although I'm not really sure how i can test for candida. On the other hand I

m still on "candida-free-alike-diet". I'm taking multivitamin but without much effect. What can you recommend in this case?

And after eating dairy my head gets heavy and I don't feel well.

T.H:

Mostly same brand. But for apples I just go to the local shop and I have no idea where they really come from, same with chickens and meat.

Are you eating any supplements? I'm currently trying digestive enzymes but without much luck. Anyway this "brand" thing seems interesting. Too bad this all eco-food is so expensive.

Thank you all for the support! you are great!

• 3 months later...
eazyeazy Rookie

This month I was only eating chicken and watermelon and I still don't feel good. I think I'm missing something big time because with all this gluten-free diet I should have results already :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This month I was only eating chicken and watermelon and I still don't feel good. I think I'm missing something big time because with all this gluten-free diet I should have results already :(

If all your eating is chicken and watermelon I am not surprised you aren't feeling good. Can you add maybe some potatoes or rice and some other fruits and veggies in?

eazyeazy Rookie

If all your eating is chicken and watermelon I am not surprised you aren't feeling good. Can you add maybe some potatoes or rice and some other fruits and veggies in?

Well I did it especially to test if I'm being glutened or something. I feel even worse when I add potatoes and rice. Eating gluten free sweets for example = bad stomach pain and toilet mode.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have seen several posts about people having problems with chicken:

Maybe you'd be better off with beef?

I agree with the previous poster that a bit more variety would be a good idea.

Jestgar Rising Star

I didn't check out Steph's chicken links, so she may have covered this, but you could also look around for local egg producers who cull their chickens periodically. Maybe find one who's practices you approve of and buy chicken from them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived