Rate this topic

I am a newly diagnosed Celiac.. I have been what I thought was Gluten free for almost 3mths now. I noticed while buying groceries tonight, some products said Under 20ppm. Naturally I Googled it because thats where we go right? Ha Anyway, I am wondering should I Just be eating natural things until I heal? Doesn't 20ppm mean that there is a slight trace of gluten? I haven't had any improvement in my symptoms or felt much better as of yet. Just curious if this could be the reason- im trying to eat my normal foods but the Gluten free versions too soon??

In order to make a guarantee, the product must be tested. There are a variety of tests available, with detection thresholds diminishing as cost increases. A test for 3 ppm is possible, but extremely costly. Twenty parts per million (20 ppm) is a common compromise between cost and sensitivity.

The actual content in the product is far less than the claimed test level, and may well be zero. To consistently pass the 20 ppm test, the manufacturer must aim far lower. Most try to achieve a complete absence of gluten, but it can not be proven.

In order to make a guarantee, the product must be tested. There are a variety of tests available, with detection thresholds diminishing as cost increases. A test for 3 ppm is possible, but extremely costly. Twenty parts per million (20 ppm) is a common compromise between cost and sensitivity.

The actual content in the product is far less than the claimed test level, and may well be zero. To consistently pass the 20 ppm test, the manufacturer must aim far lower. Most try to achieve a complete absence of gluten, but it can not be proven.

Thank you, psawyer, for a clear, understandable explanation! That is most helpful.

Trace gluten aside, you can't go wrong with whole natural foods for healing. A lot of us feel our best eating mostly meat/fish/poultry and veggies. Gluten-free breads can be really starchy and have a lot of xanthan gum that doesn't agree with everyone's stomach. Rice and potatoes can be a little easier to digest.

Remember that a lot of celiacs don't tolerate dairy very well at first. Soy is another thing to watch to see if it bothers you.

• Upvote 1

Thank you everyone! I think this 3rd month has been more stressful. I am also Hypoglycemic and I can not seem to keep my sugar regulated. It has bottomed out a few times last week. I have the book Gluten Free for Dummies so hopefully I will get the hang of this soon! Ha I am very thankful for this site :)

I am also Hypoglycemic and I can not seem to keep my sugar regulated. It has bottomed out a few times last week.

That was a problem I had too. Once I got this diet figured out, it went away. Hopefully it will for you too.

Thank you everyone! I think this 3rd month has been more stressful. I am also Hypoglycemic and I can not seem to keep my sugar regulated. It has bottomed out a few times last week. I have the book Gluten Free for Dummies so hopefully I will get the hang of this soon! Ha I am very thankful for this site :)

Rice and starchy gluten-free breads are hard on me in that respect. Even if I eat white rice without enough fat and protein I bottom out so badly I fall asleep a couple hours after the meal.

I find that a mostly meat/veggies diet where I'm getting a lot of my energy from fat rather than carbs really helps my blood sugar stay steady. I sort of eat SCD/paleo-ish. I'll have eggs and a little fruit for breakfast and skip the toast, chicken & veggie soup for lunch with some nuts to fill me up, usually a snack of a piece of fruit and a few more nuts in the afternoon, and meat, chicken, or fish and a couple different veggies or a big salad for dinner.

Thanks Skylark! I think thats my problem as well. However, the Gluten free breads are horrible so I have been able to not eat it as much. ha

How long did it take before you were able to see a difference in your energy levels?

LOL! I've been eating gluten-free bread so long I've forgotten what normal was like.

I think it was a few weeks until I had more energy. I usually eat a little rice with dinner once or twice a week as I find a little carbohydrate seems to be helpful. Getting off dairy helped me too because I seem to be somewhat sensitive to it. I also take some red panax ginseng, which seems to really help how I feel in the morning.

I know the carbs are an issue for me because I recently tried Failsafe diet, which is low food-chemical. It has you eat a fair amount of gluten-free grains and rice because they're low-salicylate. My asthma came back, I got tired again, and my face is breaking out.

I stay away from processed foods. I cook everything fresh, meat, brown rice and white rice mixed together (just cuz I do not really like brown rice) with a little olive oil, and pinch of salt, cooked in my rice cooker is very yummy, fresh veggies. No cows milk for me, almond is the way I go, it has made a big difference. The bloat is gone :).

Watch out for Gluten in lotions, lipsticks, haircare products, house hold cleaning products, soaps it is hidden where you least expect it. When I first went off gluten, I was still getting it from the above mentioned culprits. It has been 4 years for me, and their are still times, when I am taken off guard and get gluttened by CC, like when my son moved back in and started bringing unsafe products to my other wise gluten-free kitchen. :( I have a reaction to xanthan gum also, just like gluten. So I stay away from that also.

There is a Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide by Matison & Matison 2011/2012 Edition, it is a great tool to have.

Hope this helps