GFreeMO

Mucus - Whats The Deal?

Rate this topic

Whenever I get glutened, corned, or casein after the pain starts to lessen I get mucus. It's not always in the stool, sometimes it's all I pass. Is this similar to having a cold but in the intestines? I am guessing that it is the inflammation in the intestine that is similar to the inflammation in nasal passages and once the allergen is gone, the mucus clears. Anyone know? I googled it but all I get is stuff about IBS.

Thanks!

I'm just bumping this up. Anyone know?

Usually when you have mucus in your stool it is a reaction to inflammation in your small intestine. I myself had this a few times before diagnosis but not since then a 1 1/2 ago from what I can remember it is no fun:( Feel better and try to be as strict as possible!

Here is the short of it all : (It's talking about the intestines and a food allergen)

In an attempt to protect itself from these irritating substances, the body secretes mucus. This intestinal coating of mucus reduces the absorption of allergic substances, protecting the person with hidden allergies from experiencing obvious allergic reactions.

As an analogy, think about what happens when you work in a garden. The tool handles irritate the skin of your hands, and so you get calluses to protect you from the irritation. Once you have the callus you do not notice the irritation anymore, but the skin is still being irritated or the callus would go away. In the same way, when you irritate the digestive system by eating allergy-causing food, the intestine secretes mucus to protect itself from absorbing the offending substance.