This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Armpits Dh

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Whenever I consume gluten by CC or corn, I get DH on my elbows and recently both of my arm pits. It's insanely itchy. I drank a soda on Sat. night and woke up Sun. morning with DH under my arm pits. It was so itchy that I was scratching them overnight and now they are bleeding.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Oh no.

Ice packs, Vanicream (I know it's gluten-free, check for corn) and Vaseline.

Try to wear a bra as little as possible.

Use a mild deoderant - nothing with scents or strong ingredients. It burned mine.

Try to wipe it down with wet clothes a few times a day.

You will notice more bo, but that's normal because of the skin and scab accumulation around the sweat glands.

Try a low iodine diet and see if it helps snuff it out. Google "thyca".

Antiinflammitories can aggrivate DH, so use a Tylenol type (if you gave a corn safe version).

You will need to apply the lotion/Vanicream several times a day. Once isn't enough. Keep it moisturized and soft.

When it swells and weeps, gently wipe with a soft cloth or put dry wash clothes under your arms. Then more lotion.

You may try sleeping with socks on your hands. Cut your nails down, at least.

Jestgar Rising Star

I have no help to offer, but I am so so sorry. :( That sounds just awful. :( :(

squirmingitch Veteran

Awwwwwwwwwww Gluten-Free. I just hate hearing that. I'm so sorry. Monster hugs!

Well, I think Prickly has to be the armpit dh expert. She gives you great advice.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone!!! Prickly, Vanicream really helped. Great stuff! Why would my corn allergy give me DH is what I am wondering. I get it from gluten and now corn..unless I was glutened and blamed it on the corn I drank in the soda. Who knows..Sometimes celiac is a complete mystery as to what made us sick. :huh:

I've found many things can trigger DH if the antibodies are there and you are prone to it.

MSG, high salicylates would do it to me in the beginning.

I don't know if you'll see it, but I posted not to use aloe or prickly pear unless you know you don't have a problem with salicylates. That MAY be a problem for you, if your soda was sugar based instead of corn based. I'd think about what sets it off and if it makes sense.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi GFreeMO,

My DH has been head to toe for most of the past 10 months and I must say - the arm pits are right up there on the 'worst place to have DH' list. For me it is insanely little itchies !!!

Have you tried the benzocaine products ? It tends to be in mouth/teeth infection products such as chemist/pharmacy quality products. It will give you some temporary relief.

GFreeMO Proficient

I will check out benzocaine products. Thank you! I will try anything b/c this is unbearable.

Prickly, what are salicylates? I Googled it but I can't really figure it out.

The things that cause me to have a gluten type reaction with the digestive issues and DH are gluten, corn in all forms..citric acid is the worst. Grapes and raisins give me intestinal mucus and DH. Are these things included? Bananas, Advil, Motrin, Orange juice from the store. If I make my own i'm ok. Tea, tomatoes, all vinegar except apple cider.

My DH is getting worse lately. I use to only get in on my knees. Now it's never my knees, it's my elbows and armpits and scalp. I'm one of the lucky celiacs that get the horrible gut pain and DH.

Thanks!

Di2011 Enthusiast

Google sals - until recently I was in denial about sals. They are a complex set of foods to navigate compared to glutens but has been worth the while. Avoiding berry yogurt but not yogurt altogether was a godsend. My early indicators were dried fruit - raisons etc.

btw I also avoid the citric acids, preservatives etc. I have a long way to go figuring it all out but the "acid" in the label I avoid.

As much as love hot / spicy food my GI system does like it. I use a lot of garlic for flavour.

GFreeMO Proficient

I Googled sals. There is a forum dedicated to it. I react to most of the foods listed. WOW. I never thought of a secondary intolerance like this. I am convinced that I react to sals. The only thing that was listed as high that I don't react to at all is olive oil. Thank God b/c It's the only oil that I can use.

I use a lot of garlic too. I also use lemon and oregano a lot too.

Funny that you mention dried fruits. My first was raisins. I kept think that they were CC with gluten. Now I know...

Thanks so much for helping me figure this out! :)

squirmingitch Veteran

We've been having a big discussion about sals here:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91375-upset-confused-venting-scared-frustrated/

come & read & join us.

GFreeMO Proficient

I will check that out. Thanks!

GFreeMO Proficient

Well I thought that it was getting better. Went to bed last night and woke up with it all back again. I haven't worn deodorant in 3 days and today it's suppose to be 90! I thought it was bad when I had knee DH..this armpit stuff is a million times worse.

squirmingitch Veteran

Sigh. I'm so sorry to hear that it's getting worse. This stuff is a B&%$#! And there are no magic fixes.

Great big huge ((((HUGS)))) Gluten-Free.

DH runs a 2 week course with me. I go through at least a week of the sores swelling and filling at night, popping and drying up in the morning. The swelling starts around 4 pm and goes to 10 pm or so. It's a nightly battle not lose my sanity. During that time it spreads (mine is like a solid net of rash with a rash free bulls-eye in the center of my arm pit).

The second week is generally a scabby week, where I spend a lot of time moisturizing and shedding. Maybe some swelling and popping, but generally not spreading.

There should be some sal-free deodorants put there. I'd bet they are unscented, too. Start googling.

I use Dove unscented. I think it's also sensitive skin formula?? I don't know if it's sal free, though.

Aha! Here!

Open Original Shared Link

GFreeMO Proficient

I have the same. It's like it grows and grows. It's like storm clouds billowing up. Mine happens at night too. It's really bad in the morning. I am really trying to watch the sals.

I have been using an all natural crystal deodorant. I have tried Dove unscented. It made it worse for me. I think it has sweet almond oil and I can't have that..or something like that.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

I have the same. It's like it grows and grows. It's like storm clouds billowing up. Mine happens at night too. It's really bad in the morning. I am really trying to watch the sals.

I have been using an all natural crystal deodorant. I have tried Dove unscented. It made it worse for me. I think it has sweet almond oil and I can't have that..or something like that.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

I used the crystal deoderant (spray), but it burned because of the salts so I stopped using that. I actually used a spray version of Sure (or was it Suave) for a while. It was unscented and a spray so I didn't have ro touch the rash (which helped). But it was a bit harsh. I ended up with a Tom's stick that was ok for me but I'm sure it was high sal. Finally, tried the Dove and it worked.

It is very difficult while the rash is active. Everything seems to make it worse and burns like a sob. Ironically enough, shaving my pits (where the rash wasn't so much) helped because it would slough off the scabs. I could only do it every 3 days or so and not when it was in the swelling stage. I would also let cool-ish water run down the pits and rub gently to help get off the dead skin. You'll know when you've done it enough.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks for the tips! So far Vanicream has been the best thing. I have also found that sleeping in something sleeveless like a tanktop helps.

Thanks for the tips! So far Vanicream has been the best thing. I have also found that sleeping in something sleeveless like a tanktop helps.

Yes, it does help not to have anything stick to it or seams to rub on it. Though at a certain point I found it safer to sleep with a big (men's xxxxxlarge) v neck t on so I didn't scratch it so easily in the middle of the night. Tgey also made a nice barrier between my skin and the ice packs (which I'd fall asleep with).

Di2011 Enthusiast

What would we have done without the ice pack!

What would we have done without the ice pack!

Probably kicked a hole in the wall and then cried about it.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Don't need a hole in the wall for DH to make you cry though huh!?

Don't need a hole in the wall for DH to make you cry though huh!?

Nope.

In retrospect I wish DH was a person I could beat down with a baseball bat.

And put the body out in the sun for the ants to eat.

While there was a bit of life left, so it could feel the stings.

Cover it in honey???

I'd watch it squirm while I ate gluten-free chocolate ice cream.

Of course at the time I just wanted the pain to stop...

I must admit, coming back on the board has given me some flashbacks....hmmm, maybe I need another vacation??

Maybe I do need to take up kickboxing???

Archived