jenn42

Behavior Issue's Getting Worse Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

My DD has been gluten-free for almost 2 weeks now and her moods are all over the board. She's been very irritable. I'm not sure if it's hormonal (she's almost 12) or it's the gluten-free diet. She did the gluten-free diet for 12 days a couple months ago and was an angel, then we had to go back on gluten for the biopsy. Is this normal as she's adjusting to the food change. I'm thinking maybe my kitchen is as clean of gluten as I think it might be. We are still learning new things every day, so possibly some CC is going on? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Withdrawal and hormones. Wow. Glad I'm not at your house.

She may be going through withdrawal this time, or she may be acting like a 12 year-old.

Withdrawal can make you mad mad mad, moody, and emotional. Personally, I went into the bathroom at work and kicked the wall. And bawled.

I suggest a good stiff martini for you.

It could be cc...or it could be that she's also intolerant of dairy or soy; however, another possibility is that she is now able to absorb hormones. A 12-year-old will be producing an increased amount, and if she was unable to adequately absorb them previously, the rush of hormones may be unexpected and confusing. This is only one possibility.

We are right behind you...10 days gluten-free...I'm still cleaning my kitchen! We have 2x celiac disease in twin 5 yr old girls. One is behaving like an angel. The other is a rollercoaster. I was warned by multiple people not to take the girls off gluten cold turkey, but I just couldn't stand having any more evil gluten around!!! I'm told there is a nasty die-off effect!

You are in good company :)

Btw, I never drink a sip of alcohol when my husband is out of town (too afraid I won't be able to drive a kid to the ER 'cause of a glass of wine). Last night I had a glass of wine. It's just plain tough some days!!!

Hang in there!

My son and I went gluten free a year ago. He was fine. I had about 2 weeks of feeling MUCH worse (irritable, headache, tired, etc.). Doctor said there is a group of people who will experience withdrawal symptoms when gluten is removed. I guess I was one of them. After that, it got a little better each day. . . . and then I just felt good - every day - which was new for me.

Cara

Thanks everyone. It seems to be getting better. She's such a trooper. And....the glass of wine does help Mommy!