jessimarie3

I Thought I Should Introduce Myself

Rate this topic

Hello,

I'm 21 and live in Kansas. Since middle school I have had digestive problems and was diagnosed with IBS in 7th grade. Throughout high school I still had issues and in college they symptoms got worse so I cut out dairy. This helped for a while and my symptoms got worse and I cut out gluten after seeing my doctor. I had an antibody test done (it was called a complete celiac panel) and it came back normal. When I do eat gluten I get sick, so I avoid it.

I just wanted so say hello :)

Hello,

I'm 21 and live in Kansas. Since middle school I have had digestive problems and was diagnosed with IBS in 7th grade. Throughout high school I still had issues and in college they symptoms got worse so I cut out dairy. This helped for a while and my symptoms got worse and I cut out gluten after seeing my doctor. I had an antibody test done (it was called a complete celiac panel) and it came back normal. When I do eat gluten I get sick, so I avoid it.

I just wanted so say hello :)

Hello...and welcome! Some of us test negative in our bloodwork and some of us have gluten intolerance, rather than full blown Celiac disease. You could be in either camp? Staying completely gluten-free is the answer to both. :D

Welcome! I too am dairy and gluten free. I'm still in the diagnosis phase (positive blood, no biopsy) and not sure if I'm going to gluten up for a biopsy yet. I am just enjoying feeling better right now.

I'm at the same place Jetamio, It may suck eating gluten but having a positive biopsy is worth it in my mind I don't want a false negative.

I'm at the same place Jetamio, It may suck eating gluten but having a positive biopsy is worth it in my mind I don't want a false negative.

I haven't talked to my doctor about getting a biopsy. I had to ask him for the antibody test. I think I'm gluten intolerant, mostly because I don't have symptoms immediately after eating gluten, I have them usually an hour after.

Thank you for replying!

I haven't talked to my doctor about getting a biopsy. I had to ask him for the antibody test. I think I'm gluten intolerant, mostly because I don't have symptoms immediately after eating gluten, I have them usually an hour after.

Thank you for replying!

The length of time to onset of symptoms does not define whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant. It is a very variable time for each individual. Some people (celiacs) do not have symptoms until the next day, or two days later. The only thing that determines whether or not you get a diagnosis of celiac disease is whether you are producing gliadin antibodies in sufficient quantity, and these antibodies are present in your blood and are doing damage to your small intestine as is proven in the endoscopy and biopsy.

Non-celiac gluten intolerance has only recently been recognized by doctors as a separate autoimmune response from celiac disease and research is just getting ramped up now to find out more about it. In another year or two there might even be a test devised for it :rolleyes: In the meantime, treatment is the same, gluten free diet. You will hear doctors tell you you don't have to be as strict if you don't have celiac disease, but since they know so little about NCGI, how do they know??:blink: